Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
WendyR14
WendyR14 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle; ipad; netbook
Question Using OnDevice to set the value of a custom column

I wonder if anyone could give me some help. I've just begun to explore customising Calibre and I'm finding it tricky; I spotted a throw away comment in a thread (sorry can't find it now) where the poster said breezily that they used a custom column to record which books are loaded onto their Kindle so that they know what's what even when the device isn't connected.

Just what I want I thought.

I found this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...03&postcount=6 and that of course work well to do it manually. But I feel sure that I should be able to set it automatically using the ondevice() funtion explained in the user manual and mentioned here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=15

I guess I need a composite column but does it need to behave like a tag or not; or does it not matter? I presume I need to put the expression into the template box - but what exactly do I need to type into there?

Ideally I should like my new column to be updated when I connect my device so that if I delete things from the kindle itself the value of the column reflects that, and of course the value needs to persist after I unplug the device.
WendyR14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There is no (easy) way to automatically record "ondevice" in a way that persists after you disconnect the device. You can do such things in a plugin, but I don't know of one that does it.

The usual solution is to select all books and set the custom column to false using edit metadata (bulk). Next search for ondevice:true while the device is connected, select all and use edit metadata to set the custom column to true.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyR14 View Post
I wonder if anyone could give me some help. I've just begun to explore customising Calibre and I'm finding it tricky; I spotted a throw away comment in a thread (sorry can't find it now) where the poster said breezily that they used a custom column to record which books are loaded onto their Kindle so that they know what's what even when the device isn't connected.

Just what I want I thought.

I found this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...03&postcount=6 and that of course work well to do it manually. But I feel sure that I should be able to set it automatically using the ondevice() funtion explained in the user manual and mentioned here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=15

I guess I need a composite column but does it need to behave like a tag or not; or does it not matter? I presume I need to put the expression into the template box - but what exactly do I need to type into there?

Ideally I should like my new column to be updated when I connect my device so that if I delete things from the kindle itself the value of the column reflects that, and of course the value needs to persist after I unplug the device.
You are making way too much out of it

Make a True/False column (mydevice) in the Library if one does not exist.
Connect your device and wait for the device task to finish.

Stage 1) un-mark previous saved status for missing/removed from device books.
Enter this search:
Code:
ondevice:false and formats:true
(change true to a specific format if that is what you choose) and press Enter

1) Clear previous values if it was previously used by Selecting All (ctrl+A).
Bulk Meta-data edit: Custom metadata tab: set mydevice to No
OK

Stage 2) Mark those found on the device.
Set the search:
Code:
ondevice:true
2) Set values for on device books Selecting All (ctrl+A).
Bulk Meta-data edit: Custom metadata tab: set mydevice to Yes
OK

you have now saved your current status
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
Thumbs up

Since ondevice does not persist if you restart Calibre, I use the Reading List plugin to keep track of what books are on my device when disconnected.

Instead of 'send to device' shortcut I remap it to send to 'reading list'. Next setup the program to manually/automatically 'Replace device with list, add new items only' (this adds/removes except overwrites because in my case it would remove the 'im_reading' collection the kobo uses).

When disconnected you call up the reading list, add/remove books to sync later. Reading List can also add a tag so you can do fancy stuff like column coloring, etc.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote