Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #31
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
check out http://www.booksfornooks.com
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #32
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
...The B&N social DRM is contained within the book itself. Anyone who knows the credit card number (the social part of the DRM) and name the book was bought with can open the book...
Thank you for the concise and informative reply. That makes a lot more sense. She left out the part where the person on the receiving end of the email has to use the same Card number (and purchaser name).

yes, it is definitely an attractive feature, even if it is for "only" 2 weeks and only once.

Thanks again
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #33
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Thank you for the concise and informative reply. That makes a lot more sense. She left out the part where the person on the receiving end of the email has to use the same Card number (and purchaser name).

yes, it is definitely an attractive feature, even if it is for "only" 2 weeks and only once.

Thanks again
I am not sure if you understood the difference between the options:

1 The lending option can only be used for books where the publisher allows it, you can only lend a book for 2 weeks, and you can lend a book only once.
This way the other person does not need to know the credit card number and name.

2 You can share a book by just copying it to another Nook or B&N reader (you do not use the lending option, you copy the book like you would any other file).
This works for every book. There are no time limits (it is just another copy of the book). The other person needs to know the credit card number or name, or you have to enter those for the first book yourself.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #34
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Yer right. I did miss the fine point between "loaning" and "sharing" -- mainly because I was concentrating on confirming (or not) what the BN rep had said specifically about loaning, and being able to then transfer it to a non-nook reader.

It actually sounds like she was describing sharing via email, but with the (mistaken) ability to then load it onto a non-nook reader.

Either way, the receiving end is either a nook, or the B&N reader software.

However, with sharing as you explain it, your observation regarding "account sharing" makes more sense. Rather than having six people signed up to the same BN account in order to download the same books, you need only file transfer (unlocking with name and cc#).

This also prevents the "buy buy buy for free" syndrome on your credit card -- something we have seen with kids and texting because they have no concept of the cost of each text until the $1000 bill shows up at the end of the month.

Thanks again for your patience.

Edit: ========================

I went back and reread your initial response, and have decided the misunderstanding was all YOUR fault. lol.

If you had titled "2. Sharing option" before explaining the social DRM feature, even I might have been able to pick up the subtle difference, although that's not a sure thing, either.

Last edited by eGeezer; 08-08-2010 at 12:49 PM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #35
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Yer right. I did miss the fine point between "loaning" and "sharing" -- mainly because I was concentrating on confirming (or not) what the BN rep had said specifically about loaning, and being able to then transfer it to a non-nook reader.

It actually sounds like she was describing sharing via email, but with the (mistaken) ability to then load it onto a non-nook reader.

Either way, the receiving end is either a nook, or the B&N reader software.

However, with sharing as you explain it, your observation regarding "account sharing" makes more sense. Rather than having six people signed up to the same BN account in order to download the same books, you need only file transfer (unlocking with name and cc#).

This also prevents the "buy buy buy for free" syndrome on your credit card -- something we have seen with kids and texting because they have no concept of the cost of each text until the $1000 bill shows up at the end of the month.

Thanks again for your patience.

Edit: ========================

I went back and reread your initial response, and have decided the misunderstanding was all YOUR fault. lol.

If you had titled "2. Sharing option" before explaining the social DRM feature, even I might have been able to pick up the subtle difference, although that's not a sure thing, either.
Well English is not my first language so perhaps I am not always too clear Expecially with these kind of long explanations.
But I am glad you do see the big advantage of the B&N DRM when sharing books.
With all the complaints about the lending limitations it is a shame that B&N is not more open about just sharing books (probably because of the publishers, who are also the reason for the lending limitations).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #36
alexusjoanne
alexusjoanne began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hi I would like to be apart of the lending option. I would give a list of the books I have to lend but I have no idea how to figure it out on my nook.
alexusjoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #37
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
@alexusjoanne Just go to your B&N Library and check for books that say "LendMe" next to them.

Here's my list of lendable books (so far):
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
The History of the Ancient World by Susan Wise Bauer
Practicing Catholic by James Carroll
A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
The entire Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris (these books are like crack, I swear)
Spiced by Dalia Jurgensen
How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer
It's Really All About God by Samir Selmanovic
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Of these, my favorite is definitely The Handmaid's Tale, although the Sookie Stackhouse books are certainly fun. Least favorite? It's Really All About God. I had to review it for one of my religion courses and I really disliked it.

Last edited by ellimak; 08-12-2010 at 11:44 PM.
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote