Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
sørensundsans
sørensundsans has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
DIY Idea

I made this gadget for my PRS 505 a couple of weeks ago and find it really useful. It is obviously handy when reading at a table but I find it also easier to get a comfortable grip when held in the hand, which can be a problem the way the reader is designed.

It’s made from Kydex which is a thermoplastic material used for knife sheathes and gun holsters. It has a leathery look and is available in several colours. It can be moulded to just about any shape by heating it to 300 deg F. The size required will cost about $5.00 and is available from knife makers supply shops.

The design is of course very basic and the photos should be self-explanatory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCR_gadget_1.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	44233   Click image for larger version

Name:	PCR_gadget_2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	44234  
sørensundsans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Great gadget there and pics.

Now if only ereading devices came with remote controls so you could sit back in a chair and read while the device is propped up for you. Or is that a bit lazy?
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Nice job there.

I had to sit and stare at it for a long time because I thought it was protruding from a seat back. I didn't see it was a glass table for a long time.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
neat idea
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Nice job there.

I had to sit and stare at it for a long time because I thought it was protruding from a seat back. I didn't see it was a glass table for a long time.
Ha-ha, glad you pointed that out because I also thought it was magically attached to the back of a chair.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
LOL! I made one of these when I first got my reader, then stole the Kydex back when I needed to make a sheath! Now I use sheets of Kydex in between layers of neoprene for the carry case for my Sony 505. Kydex is great stuff!

For a reader holder, I now use a folding plate display holder made of thin wood, hinged in the middle. Folded, it fits in my shoulder bag behind the reader.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
sørensundsans
sørensundsans has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks Edbo,

Thanks for pointing out the bit about the table. It never occurred to me at the point of posting but looking at it with fresh eyes I realise it must appear strange to the uninitiated.

At least it caught your eyes
sørensundsans is offline   Reply With Quote