Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a member of LibraryThing?
Yes....I'm an author and its a way to get my books "out there" 3 2.24%
Yes, I like the reviews/recommendations 18 13.43%
Yes, I like the social networking aspect 9 6.72%
Yes, I like the way I can manage my books there 31 23.13%
Yes, I'm interested in what other people are reading 15 11.19%
Yes, I like to post reviews on what I've read there 8 5.97%
No, never heard of the place 69 51.49%
I prefer Goodreads because (please post reason) 25 18.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #61
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Well, you can always create a shelf in Goodreads as well to keep track of reads per month. I use a 2010-read shelf to keep track of the books I read this year and it works perfectly on Goodreads.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #62
PDowns
Enthusiast
PDowns doesn't litterPDowns doesn't litter

Device: (jetBook)lost in mail;(Kobo;ipod touch;Samsung S
I started with Goodreads and could not see any reason to change, it would be too much like work.
PDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #63
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
LibraryThing is free until you add more than 200 books to your library. Then it is $25 for a lifetime membership or $10 a year. I confess I never bothered to look at GR or Shelfari, but I was having fun and thought it was worth $25 not to have the ads. Also I felt at home there.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #64
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
thought it was worth $25 not to have the ads.
Who has got ads?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #65
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Who has got ads?
Goodreads has them.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #66
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Goodreads has them.
First of all, I asked krazy4katz this question. How does she know about it?
Secondly, I don't see them. They are blocked by ABP.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #67
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I noticed that the LT membership fee is variable. You can pay them less than the default at their payment screen. I haven't decided yet but I do like LT's approach even if the interface is a bit clunky (example is adding multiple new books from one author, should be quicker).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #68
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I don't mind the ads on Goodreads. I had signed up to Goodreads, LT and Shelfari, but am only keeping up on Goodreads, to be honest.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #69
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I looked at three options - Shelfari, iBookDB and GoodReads, and chose GoodReads because of the social features and the cleanness of the database. I really feel positive about how hard the GoodReads community works to make it a usable database, enough that I became a librarian to add and clean up the eBook records. I don't mind the ads because I know they pay for the site, and MOST of the time, they are reading related. Frankly, I don't know why Amazon/Sony/B&N aren't buying ads for their e-readers there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
but my Goodreads account is already stuffed with things I've previously read and so wasn't much help with this project to keep up with what I read THIS month.
When you mark something as read in Goodreads, you can record a date. And then in Read view, you can sort by the date read.

Here is an example of my Goodreads 2010 shelf, sorted by date read:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list...sort=date_read

To get to this year's read books, click on My Books, then go down on the left side and select Stats. You get a view of years, and then you can drill down to date read from there. Here is how it looks, sorted by year:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/stats/3450701-bree
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #70
Cliff Ball
Zealot
Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I tried LibraryThing, but it confuses me like some of the others here. So, I'm on Goodreads more, and I like it a whole lot better.
Cliff Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #71
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Here is an example of my Goodreads 2010 shelf, sorted by date read:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list...sort=date_read

To get to this year's read books, click on My Books, then go down on the left side and select Stats. You get a view of years, and then you can drill down to date read from there. Here is how it looks, sorted by year:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/stats/3450701-bree
Your profile is set to private
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #72
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Shelfari and Library Thing are owned by Amazon. Why the need for Library Thing to charge membership fee? Surely they receive enough revenue through store purchases or commissions?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #73
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
This is what LB"s page says....can you tell me how it is owned by Amazon?

Who is behind LibraryThing?

LibraryThing was created by Tim Spalding, a web developer and web publisher based in Portland, Maine. Tim also runs www.isidore-of-seville.com and www.ancientlibrary.com. Since becoming a "real" business in May 2006, LibraryThing now employs a number of talented people. More about the rest of the team on the Press info page.
Where does LibraryThing get its information?

LibraryThing uses Amazon, BookDepository and libraries that provide open access to their collections with the Z39.50 protocol. The protocol is used by a variety of desktop programs, notably bibliographic software like EndNote. LibraryThing appears to be the first mainstream web use.

We also use uClassify, and Yusuke Kamiyamane's icons.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #74
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Also........from the press page.......see highlighted....no where does it say Amazon owns it.

Quick Facts

* LibraryThing.com launched on August 29, 2005
* Based in Portland, ME
* A free account allows you to catalog up to 200 books. A paid account allows you to catalog an unlimited number of books. Paid accounts cost $10 for a year or $25 for a lifetime
* Over a million users have signed up
* Over 55 million books have been cataloged
* Users have applied over 67 million tags to their books
* Abebooks acquired a minority stake in the company in May of 2006 (LibraryThing blog post/Abe press release)
* Cambridge Information Group acquired a minority stake of the company in December 2008 (LibraryThing blog post)

* LibraryThing has several talented employees (contact us)
o Tim Spalding (Founder and Developer)
o Abby Blachly (Head Librarian)
o Casey Durfee (Library Developer)
o Chris Catalfo (Library Developer)
o Chris Holland (Developer)
o John Dalton (Sysadmin/DBA)
o Sonya Green (Librarian)
o Dan Raftery (Operations)
* LibraryThing is exploring relationships with libraries, to offer non-commercially motivated recommendations, tags, reviews, and other social data (see LibraryThing for Libraries)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #75
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Shelfari and Library Thing are owned by Amazon. Why the need for Library Thing to charge membership fee? Surely they receive enough revenue through store purchases or commissions?
Hmm...? I don't think so, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Can you point to something that links LibraryThing and Amazon?

Edit: Quick Google search does indeed show Amazon buying into Shelfari, but nothing about LibraryThing.

Last edited by jgaiser; 10-02-2010 at 08:12 PM.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote