Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Sigil 0.5.3: Remarks on search function

Currently using Sigil for book editing and have some remarks on the search/replace function.

1) When doing search/replace, Sigil always switches to the code view which I personally find annoying. Even when I start from a split view, in which code is visible, it is switched to the full code view. It would be nice to retain the user preference, or to make the behavior an option.

2) When doing search/replace in 'normal' mode, Sigil does not retain the original capitalization as some other text editors do.
Example:
Original sentence : "This, THIS and this."
Search string : "this"
Replacement string: "these"
Replaced sentence: "these, these and these."
Expected sentence: "These, THESE, and these."
Is this deliberately?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@DrChirper - Sigil 0.5.3 is now ancient history, any comments about behaviour should be made using the Sigil 0.5.9 betas (a new version will be out in the next few days).

The reason the Find has to switch to Code View is because it simply isn't possible to search in Book View reliably (at least not without opening every file searched in a new tab, which is both slow and annoying). And it most certainly isn't possible to replace reliably. Hence why all replace operations must be in Code View, and the only Find operations that will work in Book View are for current file.

As for the F&R expression, just change the Mode dropdown to choose "Case Sensitive" rather than "Normal". Or if you were using Regex, that too is effectively case sensitive.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kiwidude: thanks for the response.

I know a new Sigil is forthcoming. However I prefer to use only stable versions (current != ancient for users) , hence the reference.

I do understand the need for code view to operate properly, my remark however was that Sigil in my humble opinion should return to the view which was active on the moment of invocation. Even when using split view, in which a code view is present, it is still switched to the full code view. I do not mind flashing screens, I do mind to have to manually select again and again the view I prefer after every search. You do not use the code view to proofread your texts, which I do.

Further, the case sensitive mode does not help here much as in the case of my example I have to do the F&R 3 times: 1x with "This", 1x with "THIS" and 1x with "this", while it could be done in normal mode in 1 go.

Ah well, such is life

Last edited by DrChiper; 10-12-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@DrChirper - there really is nothing "current" about Sigil 0.5.3 because Sigil has taken huge jumps forward in so many areas - how it looks, how it behaves, stability, performance, features - so much of everything has changed for 0.6. There isn't even a split view as you know it from 0.5.3. So it was just a warning to you that if you posted expecting some kind of possible change around the behaviour it isn't going to be put on any todo list to look into, because Sigil is a completely different ballgame now in so many areas.

I well understand your comments as a user, I was "only" one of those until relatively recently too and I never installed Sigil betas in the past. However I found 0.5.3 close to unusable due to its stability issues on Windows and bugs in its F&R. You can read the 0.5.9 beta threads for what others think but even the few reported issues with the latest betas are insignificant compared to the huge number of problems fixed from earlier releases. However if you still want to hold out for the official 0.6 release you won't have too much longer to wait.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
DrChiper
Bookish

OK, lets go wild: I will give the latest greatest beta release a try today. If it's as good as you state, I will certainly not be disappointed as the 'ancient' version already fulfilled my humble needs.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I have encountered fewer failures of all kinds with the current beta than I did with 0.5.3. That being said, that was not true with its immediate predecessor beta so your caution is more than warranted.

Hint, try right clicking on everything...the program is strewn with "easter eggs" that allow you to insert clips of your own choosing and edit the current file in an external editor of your own choice, save there and return without missing a beat, among many others.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
When doing search/replace in 'normal' mode, Sigil does not retain the original capitalization as some other text editors do.
Example:
I can't remember ever seeing this behavior. What text editor does this?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I can't remember ever seeing this behavior. What text editor does this?
There are several editors that have a "smart case" feature. Komodo Edit is one, but I've never really found it all that handy, myself.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@DrC

you just need to write a better set of REGEX terms

Quote:
Example:
Here is a start:
Code: