Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
It's Not The Kindle Android App

Finally confirmed from Engadget:

Quote:
The reading experience is about what you'd expect. By default you get black text on a white background, but if you find that a little too squint-inducing you can flip and get white text on black -- or even brown text on a yellow. You can dynamically change font size, line spacing and margins, and you have eight fonts to choose from in case the serifs on the stock typeface rub your Helvetic sensibilities the wrong way.
Darn, it sounds like it's using that nasty brown yellow background Amazon calls sepia.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Finally confirmed from Engadget:

Darn, it sounds like it's using that nasty brown yellow background Amazon calls sepia.
Yeah I've seen all the pics of the reading app and it's got more features then the standard app like more font choices but the three themes are the same we get on the Android app. Day, Night and Sepia.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Good find. More formatting options than I thought it would have, but still fewer than I would like, but it is a start. That sepia theme is artsy-fartsy rather than functional. I wish they would simply let us choose our text color and our background color.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Good find. More formatting options than I thought it would have, but still fewer than I would like, but it is a start. That sepia theme is artsy-fartsy rather than functional. I wish they would simply let us choose our text color and our background color.
That would be nice. Or be able to change the brightness of the background only.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Am I the only one who actually likes and uses the sepia option?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Nope, I prefer and like it too. On a few different readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Graham
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Graham
Yuck!

This is friendly banter here. Have you used Sepia in other apps? I'm curious as to whether or not you have something to compare it to.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wonder which fonts it has? I also wonder if it will do landscape mode while reading a book, especially two-page landscape mode? They are populating the KF support website little by little but still not much info available.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

It does NOT support page numbers yet. Still a work in progress I guess, so maybe it will get updated in the future.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
hehe, even B&N is guilty of this. They have a (slightly) better selection of color schemes, but they originally made some comment about how those color schemes were hand-selected by artists and therefore special. (I wish I could find a link...)

Quote:
It does NOT support page numbers yet. Still a work in progress I guess, so maybe it will get updated in the future.
I know it should be obvious in context but I want to clarify: the Kindle Fire does not support Amazon's "Real Page Numbers" feature?
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
I know it should be obvious in context but I want to clarify: the Kindle Fire does not support Amazon's "Real Page Numbers" feature?
I'd like confirmation as well. Was looking forward to this. That's another thing I don't like about the Android app.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I'd like confirmation as well. Was looking forward to this. That's another thing I don't like about the Android app.
I saw that statement on this Amazon support web page for the Fire.

Quote:
Page Numbers

Kindle Fire does not currently support page numbers.
@LoganK, It does not support Page numbers but it does support the old Location numbers. No big deal as most Kindle books don't have page numbers enabled yet. The word "currently" suggest that they might add this feature in an update. I hope they do.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-14-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

@SCION, Does the Kindle for Android app have two-page landscape mode? I don't have an Android tablet (until Fire arrives) and my Android phone is too small for that to show up on.

FYI: The Kindle for iPad app does have two-page landscape mode so Amazon does know how to program this feature.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
@SCION, Does the Kindle for Android app have two-page landscape mode? I don't have an Android tablet (until Fire arrives) and my Android phone is too small for that to show up on.

FYI: The Kindle for iPad app does have two-page landscape mode so Amazon does know how to program this feature.
No, Jack. Seems the iPad app for any bookstore is always better than Android. *sigh*
Old 11-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
No, Jack. Seems the iPad app for any bookstore is always better than Android. *sigh*
That sucks! Well Amazon now has an incentive to make their Android and fire apps better than the iOS app, let's hope they do.