Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
BIGZIPZ
BIGZIPZ began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
UK buyer question

If I buy a Wifi only nook I understand I cannot buy books on the Barnes Noble website in the UK.

But:

Can I buy legal ebooks from any other sites?

Can I manually upload EPUB files from public domain websites?

If so, do I simply connect it to the USB on my PC and drag and drop the files?
BIGZIPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGZIPZ View Post
If I buy a Wifi only nook I understand I cannot buy books on the Barnes Noble website in the UK.

But:

I can only answer the last question: yes, you can manually upload epub files from public domain websites to the nook via the USB: just drag and drop into the My Documents folder on the nook. I live in the US but don't plan on buying many ebooks from B&N site (well, maybe once a while), but I have tons of Chinese classic novels in .txt format which I use Calibre to convert to epubs and I am a subscriber to www.ebooks-library.com (I believe it's hosted in the UK) where I have got tons of public domain English novels in PDF format, these will last me a decade I guess.

Last edited by Sylver; 07-01-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 03:35 AM   #3
colonel
Enthusiast
colonel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGZIPZ View Post

But:

I have a US nook and live in UK

I registered online for a nook account whilst in NY.
I entered two addresses, one a NY address of a friend and the other my UK home address.

I also registered my normal UK credit card.

I can buy books fine from BN store directly on the nook or on the web.
Not sure how much of the above was necessary but it works!
The shop assistant in the BN store did tell me that he knew it works for internatonal customers but only if they did the initial registration on the BN website whilst physically on a PC in the USA. I have not had to test registering in the UK though

rgds
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #4
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I believe you can register the nook as well buy ebooks from B&N while in another country as long as you use a VPN (like HotSpot Shield, for instance).

As long as B&N detect your IP address as American, it's fine.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #5
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
as for registering the nook, they don't care where you are. (i used an Australian IP address)

for downloading the books they again don't care where you are (see above)

for buying books, okay this part you need a US IP address and a US billing address.

Both easy to do, B&N do not check the billing address to see if it's correct. So give them any address in the US, they are not going to send anything to it. And as @afa said .. for the fake IP address just use Hotspot Shield (free, but has ads) or alwaysVPN (paid for service) both of these work.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert