Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Someone on the amazon lists opined that it was the best book of the series -- so I'm perfectly willing to start with this one, and then decide if I want to read the whole series.
While I'm not willing to read the series out of order, I *am* willing to go ahead and get this free book and then get the first in the series so I can read them in order. Killing Floor is available for the Kindle for $6.39 -- see http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Floor-...dp/B000OZ0NXA/ -- and it appears that all of the books are available. So -- I purchase #1 and if I like it, I keep purchasing and reading. When I get to #7, I already have a copy. If I were to wait until I decided whether I like the series it probably wouldn't be free then.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
The 'Reacher' series ranks right up there with Deaver's 'Lincoln Rhyme' series and Sandford's "Prey" series! Engrossing page turners even when read out of order!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I snagged my copy
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #19
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
The 'Reacher' series ranks right up there with Deaver's 'Lincoln Rhyme' series and Sandford's "Prey" series! Engrossing page turners even when read out of order!

Stitchawl
Ooooo! I already got my copy, but this bumps it up in my reading list! Deaver's "Lincoln Rhyme" books are great! Nice to hear that this is comparable to those. Yay!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
And I like Lee Child and Deaver so I have to test Sandford.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

I'm very happy that this series has all the early books available in Kindle format. I'm anxious to begin reading the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, but the Kindle editions begin with #3. And we won't even discuss Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time saga.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #22
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I have read only one Lee Child book before. That was last year and I think it was called the Enemy. I don't normally read out of order but I do know enough about this character and series that I thought it would be ok.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #23
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
And I like Lee Child and Deaver so I have to test Sandford.
Wow! If you like Child and Deaver, you're gonna LUV Sandford's "Prey" series. While I don't mind reading most series out of order, I do recommend that you read the Prey series in correct order. There are quite a few wonderful characters that carry over into all of the books, and Sandford's character development is just as entertaining as his plots! As with Deaver, you often don't know the ending until the last few pages. The twists are fantastic!

Sandford's "Kidd" series are entertaining, but not even close to the "Prey" series.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 03-25-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:50 AM   #24
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
And we won't even discuss Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time saga.
Is this 'Wheel of Time' saga something we might wish to look at? I'm ready for a new author.

Stitchawl
Old 03-28-2009, 07:04 AM   #25
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Persuader by Lee Child is also free on Fictionwise in ereader format.
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #26
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Wow! If you like Child and Deaver, you're gonna LUV Sandford's "Prey" series. While I don't mind reading most series out of order, I do recommend that you read the Prey series in correct order. There are quite a few wonderful characters that carry over into all of the books, and Sandford's character development is just as entertaining as his plots! As with Deaver, you often don't know the ending until the last few pages. The twists are fantastic!
I read Rule of Prey (the first one in the Prey series) and it was good. Maybe a bit more lightweight compared to Deaver.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm very happy that this series has all the early books available in Kindle format. I'm anxious to begin reading the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, but the Kindle editions begin with #3. And we won't even discuss Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time saga.
You aren't missing terribly much due to the fact that "Relic" and "Reliquary" (the first two Pendergast books) aren't available as eBooks; they were not originally meant to be a "series" and are very different to the "series proper" which really starts with "The Cabinet of Curiosities" (which is available as an eBook). You might want to get them as cheap paperbacks, but don't let their lack stop you from reading the rest of the series - it really is superb.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #28
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
And we won't even discuss Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time saga.
Quote:
Is this 'Wheel of Time' saga something we might wish to look at? I'm ready for a new author.
I've been told that Jordan's Wheel of Time series is the epitome of fantasy series. Jordan completed 11 books out of the 12 he had planned; Brandon Sanderson (author of the Mistborn series) was selected to write the twelfth and final book in the series after Jordan's death in September 2008. There's quite a fan following, with a now-defunct usenet group and (it appears) the largest online community now hanging out at www.dragonmount.com. There's also a lengthy article at Wikipedia.

Over at Tor.com, Leigh Butler is leading a group re-read of the first eleven books in the series in preparation for the release of A Memory of Light, which is scheduled to be published in the fall of 2009. Butler has cautioned readers, "... posts will be rife with spoilers for the entire Wheel of Time series, up to and including the most recent installment, Knife of Dreams. In other words, in the unlikely case that you are reading the series for the first time, you really, really want to wait till you’ve finished them all before reading these posts."

I commented that I'd really like to read the series: "But I can't locate an electronic version of this book. I'm not buying any more books in paper -- and if I *were*, I'd pick up a copy from a second-hand source and neither the publisher nor the author would see any benefit. But if you release a Kindle or Sony or MobiPocket version, then I can buy it and the author and publisher both get paid." Sadly, no one at TOR has responded, though a couple of people suggested I just get the used books and enjoy the series. I'm still holding out for electronic versions.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #29
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Wow, a review by Newt Gingrich.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I've been told that Jordan's Wheel of Time series is the epitome of fantasy series.
I've been told the same thing. So far I haven't been able to get through the first book though. Maybe it's just me. I'd be willing to try one more time if I could get it as a legal ebook.

Quote:
I commented that I'd really like to read the series: "But I can't locate an electronic version of this book. I'm not buying any more books in paper -- and if I *were*, I'd pick up a copy from a second-hand source and neither the publisher nor the author would see any benefit. But if you release a Kindle or Sony or MobiPocket version, then I can buy it and the author and publisher both get paid." Sadly, no one at TOR has responded, though a couple of people suggested I just get the used books and enjoy the series. I'm still holding out for electronic versions.
Well the rumors, and they're of course just rumors, is that Tor is finally just about ready to launch their ebook store. It'd make sense that these would be one of the series they'd have ready for its launch, provided they have digital rights for everything. They might not for the early books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote