Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
kfchan
kfchan began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
New Kindle / Ebook Owner - help?

Hi, I'm a new Kindle owner and this is the first e-book reader I have ever gotten. I'm a Canadian (trying to find a legal workaround the whole US billing / credit card thing), so using the Amazon store doesn't work for me right now. I would prefer to use legal / paid for downloads, but am having a hard time finding the selection of books I want (new fiction and new releases mostly) in a Kindle compatible format without having to go through various conversion processes - I've been reading through the forums but am getting confused / lost with all the software developer talk (there's a reason why I'm a mech eng and not a software or computer engineer!). Are there any sites where I can buy the (secured) MOBI ebook that can be read by the Kindle without needing to convert it to an unsecured format? I want to know which stores to shop from before I make a purchase. Thanks for your help!
kfchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfchan View Post
Hi, I'm a new Kindle owner and this is the first e-book reader I have ever gotten. I'm a Canadian (trying to find a legal workaround the whole US billing / credit card thing), so using the Amazon store doesn't work for me right now. I would prefer to use legal / paid for downloads, but am having a hard time finding the selection of books I want (new fiction and new releases mostly) in a Kindle compatible format without having to go through various conversion processes - I've been reading through the forums but am getting confused / lost with all the software developer talk (there's a reason why I'm a mech eng and not a software or computer engineer!). Are there any sites where I can buy the (secured) MOBI ebook that can be read by the Kindle without needing to convert it to an unsecured format? I want to know which stores to shop from before I make a purchase. Thanks for your help!
I think you need to go to Igorskys Reverse Everything blog (google is you friend here). On there you can get two python scripts. The first one will tell you what the PID of your Kindle is. Once you do this you can go to an Mobi pocket store and enter that PID and buy a book.

Once you download the book you need to run the second script on the book. This will flip some bit which is needed for the DRMed mobi book to work on the Kindle. Once you do this copy the book to the Kindle and you will be able to read it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Note that only a few MOBI retailers allow you to enter a Kindle PID, and in particular those which use MobiPocket as their wholesaler don't any more. See A Beginner's Guide to Kindle Content (item 4 in the 1st post with other retailers listed in later posts). You still have to run kindlefix.py but this does not remove the DRM, it just allows you to read your ebook, already authorized for your Kindle, on your Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
If you look in Fictionwise.com, check to see if your book is available in 'multi-format.' If so, it is un-DRM, and there is a Kindle-compatible format on offer. Not all the books are available in multi-format though.

If you have any US credit card you can buy from amazon.com and transfer to your Kindle via USB. If you have someone willing to buy books for you, you could register your Kindle to their account and give them money to buy books for you.
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
You can also find a ton of 75-100 yrs old books (or older) here on this site, under BOOKS. Select the mobipocket format. They been mostly hand corrected and sometimes even have pictures added. They're free. It may tide you over till you find out how to get the newer books you want to purchase!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
I'm a non-techy and have yet to master Igors scripts (not from lack of trying or help).

The simplest, no-think way to get your Kindle PID is to download MobiPocket Reader 6.0. It shows you the PID of your Kindle. Be sure not to use the current version (6.2) or the previous on (6.1) as they do NOT show the Kindle PID.

Here's the instructions from Fictionwise on how to proceed after getting your Kindle PID:

3. Set your Mobipocket Personal ID (PID) in your Bookshelf:

4. Download your Mobipocket eBook from your Bookshelf by pressing the Download button.

Note that the PID is not the same as the Kindle serial number under the back cover. And Amazon Kindle reps have been instructed not to give out the PID via the phone help line.

If you need the link to Mobipocket Reader 6.0 send me a personal message.

Since you are out of EVDO range and can't get free samples, you can use this site for free samples: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...me=Biographies

The samples are drm free, so no PID is needed. They will work on your Kindle without any need for PID or other info.

Last edited by Kingston; 05-18-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
kfchan
kfchan began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Thanks for all the advice! I did download Mobipocket 6.0 and I was able to make Igor's script work for finding the PID (thanks Igor!), but haven't tried converting the secured files yet - I was hoping that since Mobipocket Reader 6.0 recognized my Kindle, it would transfer straight on, but no such luck.

I'll keep waiting until Amazon.ca starts offering the Kindle and Kindle books.
kfchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
honeybunny
Connoisseur

You will want to use the kindlefix script on your Mobi books, I believe.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
honeybunny
Connoisseur

Alternatively, check Fictionwise for a "multiformat" copy of the book you want to read. Those don't have DRM.