Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Barnes and Noble financial news

"Barnes & Noble's Stores Provide Relief as Online Sales Plunge"

http://fortune.com/2016/03/03/barnes...=yahoo_fortune
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I'm not surprised their online sales have been lagging. Although I don't think I've seen it happen in the last couple weeks, for years I would have to do things like try a dozen times or more to log in, add something to my cart, or pay for a purchase, only to have it pop up a message saying a server error occurred. If I weren't buying books for my Nook, I probably would have switched to Amazon a long time ago.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I tried to order a gift card for my nephew a couple of months ago. They wanted to charge a several dollar delivery fee and they wouldn'the be able to deliver it for over a week. My nephew received an Amazon gift card two days later.

Last edited by Connallmac; 03-06-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:16 AM   #4
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My Mom bought a Nook so for her birthday I tried to purchase a e-gift card so she could buy some books. This was done a few days before her birthday.

I spoke to my mother and discovered she had received no notice by her birthday.

I eventually was able to contact someone at B&N. "Oh - we had some server problems so a bunch of orders did not go through." So I asked "You had my email address - why didnt you contact me?" Her answer: "We figured people would contact us when their orders did not arrive."

We have gotten spoiled by companies that started with the internet. Barns & Nobile is probably going to be a case study on how NOT to go from a brick and mortar to becoming an etailer.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

B&M bookstores are usually pretty good about customer service and helpful in finding what you are looking for, unlike a Best Buy or Walmart. It is surprising that B&N didn't apply that customer service approach from their B&M bookstores to their etail store. When companies have such terrible CS, I think they deserve to go belly up.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
B&N customer service?

Here, exhibit 665:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/0...still-no-clue/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
B&M bookstores are usually pretty good about customer service and helpful in finding what you are looking for, unlike a Best Buy or Walmart. It is surprising that B&N didn't apply that customer service approach from their B&M bookstores to their etail store. When companies have such terrible CS, I think they deserve to go belly up.
In my opinion, the Customer service in the "etail store" is no worse than the customer service in their Brick and Mortar store. They don't actually service any of their customers, no matter where they come from.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I resisted the Kindle empire for years (prefer the concept of epub, liked instore reading, preferred the Nook itself).

I gave up on B&N when they started the obvious crackdown moving towards ebooks in their app / nook only (not being able to download ebooks from the site any more, etc). They should be making it easier for folks to get their ebooks, not harder.

Other bad misplays (in general) included trying to get their own appstore going for the Nook Color instead of going with Google Play (they had a decent little tablet at a bargain price at a time tablets were all like $400 devices). They could have had a very competitive little tablet as an e-reader but people didn't want yet another appstore.

I don't order physical books from B&N either at this point. Like the story at the digital reader posted above (about the pre-order price guarantee). I pre-order hardcovers at Amazon where I know I'll get the best price up until release.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:52 AM   #9
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
I second everything you wrote, except two points:
  • BN's designated in-store NOOK Support staff's woefully unhelpful servicing NOOK devices (not for lack of trying, but because they lack proper training). All they seem to know how to do is turn devices on and off, or perform soft or hard resets, tasks I could perform myself.
  • I have always received great customer service at both Best Buy and Walmart. In fact, my preferred place to buy electronics and appliances is Best Buy. Not only do they match brick-and-mortar competitors' prices and encourage customers to try out the display/demo devices onsite, but Best Buy's staff is well-informed, technically proficient, patient, and informative about the products they sell.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:33 AM   #10
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
I think the difference is that for the stores, B&N hired retail management. Retail management understands customer service.

For the eStore, they hired call centre management. Call centre management is all about getting people off the phone as quickly as possible.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I think the difference is that for the stores, B&N hired retail management. Retail management understands customer service.

For the eStore, they hired call centre management. Call centre management is all about getting people off the phone as quickly as possible.
Call center *performance* is all about the scripts.
And the B&N scripts are known to be short and inflexible.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #12
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Call center *performance* is all about the scripts.
And the B&N scripts are known to be short and inflexible.
Yeah. Two Words: F*** Off
murg is offline   Reply With Quote