Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Conditional CSS for ADE readers

Hi,

I have an ePub with Greek characters as well as words placed in emphasis with letter-spacing instead of italics. For ADE readers, I'm embedding a font. What I'd like is for ADE readers to use that font with a specific line-height and default font size.

For the letter-spacing, I've specified that although since ADE doesn't support it, I'd like a custom font used in that case.

The ADE specific xpgt file seems to be the way although I haven't spent much time figuring how to do it with that. I think that would cover all cases: ADE would use the custom font, and all others readers, would likely support letter-spacing.

If that's the preferred method, any examples would be helpful.

Thanks.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
"letter-spacing" is not a required property in the ePub 2 spec, so there could be many other readers that don't support it, other than ADE.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Ah. I thought that would be a likely response. The epub isn't for commercial purposes but for several friends so I think any of those cases I can ignore for the moment. Though, I am curious which readers don't use ADE and also do not use a modern HTML like likely all tablets and smart phones.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
The ADE specific xpgt file seems to be the way although I haven't spent much time figuring how to do it with that.
It's actually pretty straightforward, for more information see this post by Jellby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
If that's the preferred method, any examples would be helpful.
I used the XPGT method in a simple German blackletter epub. (I used   between letters as a workaround for ADE readers and regular CSS styling for all other readers.)

(This method was used in the (FRAKTUR).epub file only.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
democrite
Evangelist

Thanks Doitsu,

I was able to figure it out.
Advert