Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Fortunately, this happened just within the 90 day window, so I got a refurbished replacement sent to me.

I've already had to reset my reader...and to be honest am worried these might not be as reliable as the other readers I have owned which lasted for years.

But I do love the device and so have my fingers crossed that this is just all coincidence.
So how is the replacement 650 doing?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #17
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
tahunesky, those photos of your reader look like a broken screen controller card to me.

If you're not willing to send it to Sony they can't really do anything to fix it.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #18
tahunasky
tahunasky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-650
the weird thing is that the reader started working again, and was working fine for the last few days, then yesterday it started playing up again..

i guess i will be sending it to sony now..
tahunasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #19
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So how is the replacement 650 doing?
Haven't had time to play with it...got a Nook Color that I want to root but haven't had time to do that either. I still haven't had time to play with the fonts on my own 650 either.

But I need to load some books on my mom's replacement unit and read on it for a week before sending it back to her.

This hasn't been a good year for electronic devices in my family so far
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just send me all your gatdgets. I'll play with them and do stuff to them. Not to worry.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just send me all your gatdgets. I'll play with them and do stuff to them. Not to worry.
Perv!

Last edited by doreenjoy; 03-20-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #22
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Perv!

Karma!!!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #23
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
JS that would be just too pervsonal.
go and buy the gadets meant to play with yourself - we'll keep ours for ourselves
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #24
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post

Karma!!!

Thank you, thank you...

:taking a bow:

You've been a lovely audience. I'll be here all week.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #25
mazmac
mazmac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Update

Well, it appears that my reader is not well at all.

I spoke with the Sony repair centre people yesterday. They think the problem might be the digitizer, and were waiting for one to arrive so they could replace it. If that doesn't work, they'll order a new reader.

I was assured that there was a fault with the reader. Not with me! [Phew.]
mazmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #26
reneveliz
terron
reneveliz began at the beginning.

Device: none
your reader might be just fine, the thing is that this Sony people are very picky when charging their devices and what do you use to charge them, I've seen that when the reader is not talking to the computer or is frozen, it's because the reader is just not charged, normally it would be fixed by doin a Soft reset:
1- reader unplugged
2- Push reset button
3- turn reader off and on a couple of times. (check if there is a yellow light blinking on the top, it means reader not charged).
when you did that, try to charge it with the connection that the reader came and see if it works.
hope it helps...
reneveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #27
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
It's great when people try to help others who are having problems but it's even better when the information they provide is accurate...

Point 3... yellow light is flashing has nothing to do with charging, it shows the machine is accessing its file structure and directory at startup especially. The Red light shows charging (to about 80% when it goes off) and its quite happy to be left overnight to continue to full charge... 4+ hours to 80% and 6+ (preferably 8) for full charge...

Sony is not particularly picky with its charging... earlier ones are perfectly happy with third party chargers (even third party PSP ones) and later ones work with most modern telephone chargers (using micro-USB connection). All work fine with properly powered USB ports that stay switched on. A properly powered port gives 5V @ 500mA and properly setup means it either doesn't get switched off when the computer goes to sleep or the computer is set to not sleep/hibernate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneveliz View Post
your reader might be just fine, the thing is that this Sony people are very picky when charging their devices and what do you use to charge them, I've seen that when the reader is not talking to the computer or is frozen, it's because the reader is just not charged, normally it would be fixed by doin a Soft reset:
1- reader unplugged
2- Push reset button
3- turn reader off and on a couple of times. (check if there is a yellow light blinking on the top, it means reader not charged).
when you did that, try to charge it with the connection that the reader came and see if it works.
hope it helps...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #28
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Sometimes my PRS 900 freezes. Usually when I dismount is improperly or something. If resetting doesn't work I take out the battery for about a minute. Replace the battery and then it will reboot. Hope this is useful.

Sorry just realised this may not work for the 650. I think the battery in it is not accesible by the user.

Last edited by tponzo; 03-30-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: additional info
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #29
meerkat
meerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: prs-650BC (was prs-600), ipad, kindle PW1,Google Nexus7 (2013)
I experienced 650 freeze once, the screen showing the page in read forever. and pushing reset or power/sleep button was not working (this really sucks as the reset button should really be designed to trigger a hardware level interrupt that jump the hardware program counter to well-known address to initialize the device).

My freeze is (perhaps) due to a file in reading may not totally comply with epub standard or has internal corruption that reader software does not handle oops format in a graceful way (where is the defensive programming?).

Hooking my reader to a computer via USB (not external power) , which trigger the reader going into storage mode, revived the reader (I removed the troubled file).

Last edited by meerkat; 03-30-2011 at 04:27 PM.
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #30
mazmac
mazmac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Another update

Well, Sony have said they'll replace my reader. However, they also said there are none available in Australia - they are looking into an 'alternative replacement'.

I don't really want a 350. I would like a 950, but they are not sold here. Most likely result will be a refund, I suspect.

Watch this space...
mazmac is offline   Reply With Quote