Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Oh bother. They didn't fix the ePub/PDF library book issue

I just put a library PDF on my 350, and after I opened it I couldn't get into any of the library ePubs anymore. I was hoping Sony had fixed this by now.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
That's on my list to test, too, as soon as one of the PDFs on my hold list come up. When I had my 300 and 600, I also had a Nook and it reflows text PDFs nicely, although it can't do the cropping and zooming that the Sony Readers can do for image PDFs.

If they really haven't fixed this, that stinks! It's obviously something with their firmware, since my Nook and Opus can open both types (although the Opus can't reflow and zooming on a 5" is laughable).

Sony has done a great job promoting e-book libraries and how well their devices work, and has superior PDF handling to the Nook, so to skip fixing this on the 350/650/950 is just lazy. I may have to rethink selling my Nook
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
SeaReader
SeaReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, NookColor, NookClassic, iPad, Droid2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I just put a library PDF on my 350, and after I opened it I couldn't get into any of the library ePubs anymore. I was hoping Sony had fixed this by now.
This is unbelievable, unless this turns out to be just an issue with your 350 and not a broader firmware problem. I returned a 300 last week after just 2 days when I discovered it's firmware conflict with library pdf/epubs which severely compromised the value of public library access. Did you get the "protected page" error message or some new message?

Library access is easy and painless with the Nook and should be too with a Sony. If this continues into the -x50 series Sony should include an asterisk in any mention of library ebook access.
SeaReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I was JUST on the verge of getting a 650 -- if this isn't fixed, looks like a cheap Kobo for me!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Weird. I have several library PDFs and EPUBs on my 350 and haven't had any problem. I can't test the 650 because stupid ADE won't let me authorize another device. Still waiting for Adobe support to fix that . . .
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Weird. I have several library PDFs and EPUBs on my 350 and haven't had any problem. I can't test the 650 because stupid ADE won't let me authorize another device. Still waiting for Adobe support to fix that . . .
How many devices is one limited to with ADE? One at a time?
Old 09-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
How many devices is one limited to with ADE? One at a time?
I'm pretty sure it is just one.
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsenglish View Post
No, you can definitely have more than one device authorised. Both my 505 and my 350 are authorised (and work).
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsenglish View Post
Have you tested this issue on your 650?
Old 09-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I got the dreaded "DRM Protected Page" message. I deleted the offending library PDF and re-downloaded the EPubs and then they opened just fine again. Then I dragged a non-DRMed PDF over to the 350 and opened that and played around with changing the font size (I can! Woo hoo!) for a bit. When I went back to my library ePub again - "DRM Protected Page". Instead of grabbing the book out of the Sony Library again I opened a different, non-library ePub, paged through it twice and then closed it and went back to the library book...which opened just fine this time. I don't know if this would have worked after I opened the library PDF or not, but it's something I mean to try after I finish the ePub library books.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
I currently have 2 readers registered with ADE and both work fine.
I also checked out epub library ebook and have no problems using it on my prs-350. I can switch to my other epub books just fine.
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
I currently have 2 readers registered with ADE and both work fine.
I also checked out epub library ebook and have no problems using it on my prs-350. I can switch to my other epub books just fine.
Yes, but can you switch between an Epub and a PDF library book? That's the question!

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 09-26-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

Nevermind.....

There must have been something wrong with that particular PDF that gave the 350 heartburn. I downloaded a different PDF book from the library, opened and closed it and then opened another ePub library book and everything is just fine now.

My apologies for sounding a (somewhat) false alarm....
Old 09-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

No problem -- these things happen. But, could you do me a favor and comment on whether increasing the margins (cropping) and zooming helps with the PDF book display(or Epubs for that matter)? Thanks!

P. S. What's the title of the "bad" PDF so we're forewarned!
Old 09-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Yes, but can you switch between an Epub and a PDF library book? That's the question!
Didn't try it. I try to avoid PDF files as I find them crappy to read
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-350