Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
The first paid game - Scrabble!

It looks pretty good!

Check it out here.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Bah. Still can't get any of the games for a UK Kindle
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
3G multiplayer would make this a killer app and move a whole lot of (or rather, a whole lot more) Kindle 3Gs.

Although I suppose it could actually get expensive for them if grandmas were buying Kindles as dedicated Scrabble devices and never buying any books.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
el_brio
Enthusiast
el_brio began at the beginning.

Device: Commodore 64
I have owned several Scrabble branded handheld games in the past. I have found that the three difficultly levels usually ended up being:

Easy - 1st grader or person with a traumatic brain injury could beat it
Normal - A bit harder but still waaay to easy
Hard - Super Genius level that 7 leter outs 50% of the time

This has happened to me on several Scrabble versions on different handheld devices. Can someone comment on this?

It would be great if there were 5 levels of difficulty. Or random online pairing/ranking. I'd buy this in a second if I could get some assurance that the difficultly levels were well balanced. The previous versions I owned were either (a) I mop the floor on normal or (b) the computer drops a 6 or 7 letter word nearly every play making it next to impossible to beat and not very fun to try.

Last edited by el_brio; 09-24-2010 at 01:35 PM.
el_brio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post
3G multiplayer would make this a killer app and move a whole lot of (or rather, a whole lot more) Kindle 3Gs.

Although I suppose it could actually get expensive for them if grandmas were buying Kindles as dedicated Scrabble devices and never buying any books.
I don't think Amazon actually lose any money when making a Kindle unlike the way various console makers do when they initially release a new device.

Amazon have rules about pricing of apps and how much they'll transfer per user per month. If the multiplayer mode transferred a lot then they'd push it over into a monthly subscription plan.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
el_brio
Enthusiast
el_brio began at the beginning.

Device: Commodore 64
If someone could comment on the control scheme that would be great too. Do you need to move the cursor to your tray each time to select a letter or can you just type the letters into play (and the letters would be removed from your tray as you do so)?
el_brio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Looks good - hope it gets released in the UK and other countries soon
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
dougmwpsu
Enthusiast
dougmwpsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Awesome. Hopefully this will be the first of many apps. maybe we will see some productivity apps too?
dougmwpsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_brio View Post
If someone could comment on the control scheme that would be great too. Do you need to move the cursor to your tray each time to select a letter or can you just type the letters into play (and the letters would be removed from your tray as you do so)?
Just picked it up. I've never played scrabble, but it seems really easy to pick up.

You move the cursor around to where you want your word to start and type the letters. The d-pad controls the direction of the word.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
needs a non-geoblocked version of it!
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Great, another application I can't download because I don't in the US. If international buyers pay the same for the Kindle, why aren't we allowed access to the same applications?
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast
SpeckledJim began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi
No doubt it's a licensing issue for the different territories.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm disappointed that the first 3 apps released are all games. I don't want to play games on my Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm disappointed that the first 3 apps released are all games. I don't want to play games on my Kindle.
Here here!

Its a book reader, Amazon. Quit trying to be all things to all people.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't see what the objection is. Simple puzzle type games like Scrabble (especially since it is a word-based game) seem to fit the Kindle well. We're not talking World of Warcraft here.

Last edited by toronado; 09-25-2010 at 05:24 PM.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle apps