Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #31
luthar28
Enthusiast
luthar28 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This really does concern me. So even if our files come back validated, Apple still may find errors?
luthar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #32
senthilnatha
senthilnatha began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldespain View Post
I think I figured my problem out. I had multiple image files in the ePub package that had spaces in their names. Sigil understood this in the HTML coding by adding %20 but the file names still had spaces in the images folder. When I renamed them without spaces: like title_page.jpg the file uploaded successfully. Sigil was even smart enough to know to change the image name in the HTML for me so I didn't have to change them myself. Such a simple solution, really, but absolutely NO indication in the error messages that that was the problem. What a relief!
I am getting this exact same error. I have looked very carefully through the assets in my EPUB and there are no spaces in any of the filenames.

My file passes epubcheck, and I am using zip on the command line in OS X to make sure that no extraneous Mac OS files get zipped.

Any more ideas from anyone?
senthilnatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #33
senthilnatha

Quote:
I worked on my ePub file in Sigil and now my customer is having trouble uploading it with iTunes Producer. This is the error message that he got:

1 package(s) were not uploaded because they had problems:
/Users/jeffgoforth/Music/iTunes Producer/Playlists/1424316545.itmsp - Error Messages:
Apple's web service operation was not successful
Unable to authenticate the package: 1424316545.itmsp
ERROR ITMS-4000: "Line 88 column 92: bad character content for element at XPath /package/book/assets/asset[1]/data_file/file_name"

This went through the ePub validator with no problems. Any ideas?
In your case, did "asset[1]" actually correspond to a specific file in your EPUB? I have the same error with "asset[2]" and I'm trying to figure out exactly what file inside the EPUB it is referring to.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #34
ldespain
ldespain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Nook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by senthilnatha View Post
In your case, did "asset[1]" actually correspond to a specific file in your EPUB? I have the same error with "asset[2]" and I'm trying to figure out exactly what file inside the EPUB it is referring to.
Possibly your image file. Since they ask for 600 px high, maybe the image file is a little too small? Someone else had mentioned that. And then it also should be named ISBN13.jpg.

Another thing could be the metadata you're entering in the form. Some of the fields are required. Page count, book description, etc. Just get as much info in there as you can.

I finally got my file to pass all the validation but then get this: since I had uploaded it on my Apple ID, I am now not able to load it on my client's ID. Since the ISBN13 is the key field, they won't allow duplicates. C'mon!! The saga continues...
ldespain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #35
senthilnatha

Idespain, it actually turned out to be a copyright symbol: ©
I had one in my content.opf file in the rights metadata and one in the copyright page XHTML file of my EPUB. I don't know which caused the problem. Perhaps if I had only removed one, the other would have tripped the same alarm. I changed them both to "(c)" and everything was fine.

I'm not surprised, to be honest, that Apple has more stringent requirements than epubcheck, but they should tell us exactly what they are, and their error codes should be more precise, or at least quote the part of the file that is problematic. A copyright symbol should be allowed. It is within the UTF-8 character set that EPUB requires!
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #36
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
I find this really amusing
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #37
ldespain
ldespain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Nook, Kindle
Quote:
I had one in my content.opf file in the rights metadata and one in the copyright page XHTML file of my EPUB. I don't know which caused the problem. Perhaps if I had only removed one, the other would have tripped the same alarm. I changed them both to "(c)" and everything was fine.

I'm not surprised, to be honest, that Apple has more stringent requirements than epubcheck, but they should tell us exactly what they are, and their error codes should be more precise, or at least quote the part of the file that is problematic. A copyright symbol should be allowed. It is within the UTF-8 character set that EPUB requires!
Get outta town! That is the silliest thing I've heard lately. Good to know though - thanks for posting!
ldespain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #38
senthilnatha

Quote:
Get outta town! That is the silliest thing I've heard lately. Good to know though - thanks for posting!
Agreed: silly. And it says nothing of this or any other type of UTF-8 disallowed characters in the iBookstore Publisher User Guide 1.3.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:10 AM   #39
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Try & #169; or © instead of (c). That is the html code for © and should work. Even for Apple....

Remove the space between the & and #. The forum immediately translates it otherwise.

I always tend to use html code for symbols and accented letters.

Last edited by Toxaris; 08-20-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #40
mythical
mythical began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Apple's web service operation was not successful
Unable to authenticate the package: 1424316545.itmsp
ERROR ITMS-4000: "Line 88 column 92: bad character content for element at XPath /package/book/assets/asset[1]/data_file/file_name"

This went through the ePub validator with no problems. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem uploading my epub to Apple. It was fixed by removing the ellipsis that was somehow inserted at the end of the file name for the epub. Don't know how it got there but the ellipsis was causing Apple to reject the entire file.
mythical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #41
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Quote:
A "©" is okay in the body of a document. Where the glitch comes in is adding it inside metadata. That's my experience. - Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #42
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Quote:
Possibly your image file. Since they ask for 600 px high, maybe the image file is a little too small? Someone else had mentioned that. And then it also should be named ISBN13.jpg.
Apple's requirement is that Covers be at least 600 px on the shortest side. They do not need to be ISBN-13 named. Non-cover graphics can be any size. - Fabe
Old 11-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #43
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Where are you guys getting these Apple error messages? Are you uploading from your Mac computers directly to the iBookstore?

Not being Mac enabled, I am using Lulu as an aggregator.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #44
Fabe
Dylanologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
Where are you guys getting these Apple error messages? Are you uploading from your Mac computers directly to the iBookstore? Not being Mac enabled, I am using Lulu as an aggregator.
Oldpilot, Yes, I use a Mac and yes, I do my own uploading as an Apple Publisher. My errors not only come from Apple, but also from epub validation. -Fabe
Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 AM   #45
Dwayne Smith
Dwayne Smith began at the beginning.

Device: none
Further information for others...

I came across a similar error, but the line was "....suggested_retail_price".
This was a problem in the .itmsp, not the .epub.

Turns out that if you use a tab delimited file to generate your metadata (as you would for multiple titles), you should use a "." in any Euro Physical List Price, rather than the more correct ",".

iTunes Producer (2.2.1) will still display it as "," but if it is "," in the .itmsp it throws an error.

I ended up fixing this by hand by editing each .itmsp file in Text Wrangler. Trying to correct it directly in iTP didn't work.

d.
Dwayne Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, itunes connect, itunes producer, validation