Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #1
Romantic One
Banned
Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Where do most people get their reading material

I have a kindle and love it and the Amazon Link is great but where to you get books for your other devices. I was thinking about getting an ipad, or Nook but how easy is it to pick up those books. I like the fact anyone can publish on the kindle is it true for the ohter?
Romantic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:42 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
These days? Nowhere. As most shops don't want my cash.

It depends on where you live. If you're State based, there are several webshops that sell ebooks. If you know how to format-shift and don't mind format-shifting, you can buy your books everywhere and read them on all devices.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
It depends on what formats your device will handle, but there's a wealth of reading material right here on MR, and then there's always the Gutenberg project and ManyBooks.net for freebies.

With an ePub device, you can use the Sony Store or any other online shop that offers ePub format. (Depending on where you're located, there are ways around the geographical restrictions.) Check the Wiki here on MR for lists of where to find free eBooks, eBook stores and eBook libraries.

Many of the eBook stores have programs for publishing through their outlet.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Romantic One
Banned
Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
I have a Nook, and I buy books from a variety of different sites. Most places offer epub format these days, which is what the Nook reads. I buy some books from the Nook's built-in B&N store, and others from Kobo, Books on Board, and Fictionwise.

I don't think it's possible to self-publish via the B&N store like you can with with the Kindle store. (There are, however, sites like Smashwords that let you do the same thing but aren't connected to any one device.) I don't know about the iPad.
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

It depends on where you live. If you're State based, there are several webshops that sell ebooks. If you know how to format-shift and don't mind format-shifting, you can buy your books everywhere and read them on all devices.
Did you try Waterstones?
Worked for me and The Hobbit
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Not being based in the states I tend to go with uk bookstores or ones where you can get round the idiotic geographical restrictions.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The overwhelming majority of my reading material consists of out-of-copyright classics (which I create my own eBooks from), and SF/Fantasy from Baen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I get the vast majority of my books from Smashwords, Manybooks.net, and the Sony store, in that order.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I've gotten the bulk of my books from Fictionwise. I have also bought 6 books from the new www.Ezread.com store.

If Fictionwise doesn't get its act together I will be getting the majority of my books from Ezread.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
And there's always the Dark Side...
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
Romantic One
Banned

Thank you so much for the help I will check out all the sites you wonderful people have told me about.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

Yeah here in the U.S that's a big yep!
Old 05-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
Blackguard
Enthusiast
Blackguard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
undernet
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Baen.

And fanfic sites.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote