Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
ePub eBooks (Fully Edited w/ TOC) Fanfiction, Forumfiction

I am removing the links to the eBooks. Even though I had either permission from the author or the story was taken from a site that allows proliferation or had site permission to do so. Its just not worth the hassle to create an epub eBook edit them and then create a Table of Contents and then upload it to a storage site. And then create the links to where it can be downloaded. Just to have people assume I have done something wrong, illegal or untoward. Just not worth my time.

Sorry everyone.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 02-25-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Removed by me. Sorry everyone.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 02-24-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 02-24-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 02-24-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 02-24-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I am not affiliated with any of the fanfiction writers or author's that created these. Just liked the stories and wanted them to be more accessible to people.
As much as I like fanfiction in epub format... unless these are released under Creative Commons licenses, or the authors have given permission for them to be archived in other places, this is against Mobileread's rules (for which I have some respect), copyright law (for which I have considerably less) and the ethics of most fanfic communities (for which I have enough respect to mention it, knowing that the links are probably going to be removed, sigh).

A lot of fanfic authors want to keep track of where their stories are hosted, and many prefer to keep them in forums where they can get reviews & other feedback. Grabbing fanfic w/o permission and reposting it in a new place online, even if the original place was a free, open-view site, is a bad idea. It's legally wrong (although not particularly actionable, other than by takedown notice), and it's been known to convince authors to hide their works under various locks, which I'd like to not happen.

I know, there's a great temptation to share the work. It feels wasteful to do all that formatting just for one person's reading. I have dozens of fanfics I've put into Reader-sized PDFs... that I can't share.

If you're going to post fanfic to new locations online, please get author permission first.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Hey, two of those are my stories Cool that you like them.

My only complaint is that I tried to click one of your other links and it prompted me to install spyware...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #8
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Hey, two of those are my stories Cool that you like them.

My only complaint is that I tried to click one of your other links and it prompted me to install spyware...
Yeah thought that was you based on something you said in one of your blogs. And enjoyed the first few chapters are each of those stories (haven't finished them yet). I spend quite a bit of time on the fanfic sites. There is some great stories out there.

Not sure what the deal with the spyware from megaupload.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 02-24-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
As much as I like fanfiction in epub format... unless these are released under Creative Commons licenses, or the authors have given permission for them to be archived in other places, this is against Mobileread's rules (for which I have some respect), copyright law (for which I have considerably less) and the ethics of most fanfic communities (for which I have enough respect to mention it, knowing that the links are probably going to be removed, sigh).

A lot of fanfic authors want to keep track of where their stories are hosted, and many prefer to keep them in forums where they can get reviews & other feedback. Grabbing fanfic w/o permission and reposting it in a new place online, even if the original place was a free, open-view site, is a bad idea. It's legally wrong (although not particularly actionable, other than by takedown notice), and it's been known to convince authors to hide their works under various locks, which I'd like to not happen.

I know, there's a great temptation to share the work. It feels wasteful to do all that formatting just for one person's reading. I have dozens of fanfics I've put into Reader-sized PDFs... that I can't share.

If you're going to post fanfic to new locations online, please get author permission first.
I didn't just grab fanfic from open sites. I only grabbed stories that where 1) good and 2) from sites that allow this type of thing or 3) the author's gave their permission or didn't mind their stories being spread around the net.

I also have fanfics that I can't share as well and I don't share them. The stuff I posted is not the case.

I think it would of been much simpler if you had just sent me a PM to me asking your questions instead of making a post that makes it seem like I am doing something wrong or from a negative slant with assumptions. Nothing I have done here is against mobilereads rules.

Quote:
I am not affiliated with any of the fanfiction writers or author's that created these. Just liked the stories and wanted them to be more accessible to people.
The only reason I made the statement the way I did in the quote was to explain that I have no agenda. It wasn't to say I hadn't done my due diligence.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 02-24-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I think it would of been much simpler if you had just sent me a PM to me asking your questions instead of making a post that makes it seem like I am doing something wrong or from a negative slant with assumptions. Nothing I have done here is against mobilereads rules.
Thank you for this; I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions.

Quote:
The only reason I made the statement the way I did in the quote was to explain that I have no agenda. It wasn't to say I hadn't done my due diligence.
I've seen a lot of fanfic reposted without permission, enough that if it looks like it's happening, I say something publicly, to let lurkers know that it's not okay.

I know there's no requirement to directly say, "I have permission to post these", but with copyright being the mess it is, and plagiarism running rampant in fanfic communities (there's a lot of "I found this cool story so I'm reposting it under my account!"), I tend to err on the side of caution.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #11
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

LOL. That was silly of me.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 02-25-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:49 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
LOL. The links where never removed by an OP. I am not sure why Dr. Drib decided to change the title.
OP = Original Poster.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:53 AM   #13
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
OP = Original Poster.
Ah jokes on me then. When I seen OP my mind read MOD.

Tags
men's adventure, survival, teotwawki, zombie