Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
Belanna
Belanna began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 600
Post Convert scientific PDF's for PRS600

Hi
I'd like to use my PRS 600 to study my technical files and articles. The problem is that, without zoom, they are miniature, they are way to little to be readable! So, do you have a recipy to make Calibre convert theme decently? They are full of images and formulae so whenever I try to convert them they look all weird and unreadable. Do You have any idea?
Belanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Conversion of complex PDFs is not supported at this time.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
bjergtrold
bjergtrold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre and most other PDF -> non-PDF converters mangle formulas and line graphics. That is inherent to the design of the PDF format.

Your best bet is probably soPDF, a PDF -> PDF converter that can split pages.

Or you can convert the PDF to a sequence of pictures (for example with Bullzip PDF printer), refine the images in a graphics program, combine them into a comic file (cbz) and put this through Calibre.
bjergtrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I use my reader largely for reading technical PDFs/academic journal articles, but unfortunately, Calibre is not the best tool for it. (As great as calibre is...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjergtrold View Post
Your best bet is probably soPDF, a PDF -> PDF converter that can split pages.
Seconded. It's a great tool.

Quote:
Or you can convert the PDF to a sequence of pictures...
If you go this route, my recommendation would be PDFLRF -- it works very well. There isn't usually any need for manipulating the images. It does pretty much everything for you. In fact, I'd use it for everything, except that the files it creates are larger than what you'd get with, e.g., sopdf when that works.

Between soPdf and PDFLRF I can read pretty much anything I want.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Belanna
Belanna began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 600
I tried PDFLRF and it worked just fine but the font became just barely readable so I can't read it for a very long time without tiring my eyes. Is there a way to make the program cut the pages in more than just 2 pieces?
Thanks a lot for your answares
Belanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert