Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Question Sony software on Vista x64

Em, just installed Vista Home Premium (or something like that) x64 on my notebook. I can't seem to run Sony's library software, even though on their info page they say it runs on 64 bit operating systems. I wasn't going to bother with Sony's crapware but Calibre won't work with my reader on x64 either....any tips?
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Lyor
Enthusiast
Lyor began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7 Sony PRS-950, , Galaxy Note 10.1 & Tab 7+, Nook STR & HD+
I had the....

same issue but was able to resolve it by downloading an updated client software from Sony site...
Lyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium running on my computer, and I have no problems with the Sony software. Just make sure you download the latest version from the Sony site. I found the latest version at http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
I am also running both Calibre and Sony's software on my Vista Home Premium 64 bit machine. I have had no issues. As others have stated ensure you have the latest version of the Sony client.
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I have the latest version. Downloaded & installed it. No joy. Calibre no joy either. Very frustrating because clearly, you guys have no issues. Aaarrrggghhh.

Perhaps it's the fact that I've got a PRS 500?
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The 500 is not supported on Vista by any software
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
grimo1re
Geekette

Yet, Sony claims it is, at least that's what I read here:

From the Sony download site:

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista® (32-bit or 64-bit) or Microsoft Windows XP (32-bit only)

CPU: 800 MHz Intel® Celeron® class processor (or better). RAM: 128MB or more (minimum 512MB for Windows Vista)

HD: 20MB or more (depending on amount of content, more space may be required)

Other: Internet Connection (broadband suggested) 3 Port: USB (for Reader connection)

Device: Works with Reader Digital Book by Sony (Models: PRS-505, PRS-500, and PRS-700)

(Note: You do not need a device to use the service.)
Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

probably an oversight, as far as I know, the 500 has never worked with the SONY s/w on a 64 bit OS
Old 07-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
grimo1re
Geekette

Yes, so hmmmm what to do? Lose a GB of memory, run it in a virtual machine? Buy a new device?
Old 07-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Upgrade your windows to something else
Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
grimo1re
Geekette

Yeah, well...not sure Fallout 3 works on Linux

Think I'll just use a memory card instead. Or the old, half-dead laptop I've got lying around. It's a bit frustrating, but oh well.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7FrqIX5qs
Old 07-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #13
grimo1re
Geekette

D'Oh!