Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #106
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
What did he say to indicate to you that he's not a Kindle fan?

He's just saying that the "Truth" should be fair and objective. You don't just want to discount the myth.

I didn't read his post as pro or con Kindle. It was just constructive criticism about the thread.
I feel the same way.
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #107
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Interesting the way different people perceive the same written words.

I read sarcasm and condescension.

but thats just me.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #108
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I'm actually a huge fan of the Kindle as I said loudly and clearly right here when it first came out; I think it's a terrific device, and I think Jeff Bezos has done a lot to bring pricing sensibility to the ebook market, to boot.

I simply objected to the truth/myth statement that didn't provide the FULL truth. If you want to take full advantage of a Kindle for reading new commercial books by major authors, you pretty much have to do business with the Amazon store (and I have nothing at all against that fact; I buy almost all my paper books from Amazon, and have met and very much like Jeff Bezos); I just couldn't see any reason why someone would want to obscure that fact in a thread clearly aimed at potential Kindle buyers.

Robert J. Sawyer
Science Fiction Writer
http://sfwriter.com
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #109
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Or........you could wait and check them out from the library when they get them in, and read them on your Kindle.

Waiting a while to read them for free (they disappear after the download period) is well worthwhile in my eyes.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #110
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I'm actually a huge fan of the Kindle as I said loudly and clearly right here when it first came out; I think it's a terrific device, and I think Jeff Bezos has done a lot to bring pricing sensibility to the ebook market, to boot.

I simply objected to the truth/myth statement that didn't provide the FULL truth. If you want to take full advantage of a Kindle for reading new commercial books by major authors, you pretty much have to do business with the Amazon store (and I have nothing at all against that fact; I buy almost all my paper books from Amazon, and have met and very much like Jeff Bezos); I just couldn't see any reason why someone would want to obscure that fact in a thread clearly aimed at potential Kindle buyers.

Robert J. Sawyer
Science Fiction Writer
I'm unsure why you think something was obscured. The subject of that particular "myth" is that one is locked into buying *only* from Amazon. I've not run across any potential buyers who were not aware of the huge catalog of ebooks that Amazon has. I have run into folks who either could not purchase from Amazon (Kindle owners outside of the country) or for personal reasons (DRM issues for one) don't want to buy from Amazon but think they have no choice. The subject was not whether Amazon was the best source or not (for me... it is), it was about options outside of Amazon.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #111
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I simply objected to the truth/myth statement that didn't provide the FULL truth. If you want to take full advantage of a Kindle for reading new commercial books by major authors, you pretty much have to do business with the Amazon store
Actually, that's not true... For example, you can buy those books from BooksOnboard.com using the PID of your Kindle. Granted, you have to do a little work to figure this out... but it is TRUE.

You can also obtain new commercial books from a lending library that loans ebooks such as the NYPL or Cleveland PL, etc.

There are other questionably legal ways such as buying from another store, removing the DRM and coverting. But, we will leave that aside for a minute.

However, buying commercial books from the Kindle store is probably the easiest and best way to get those books if you are a Kindle owner. I think the myth was that you were LOCKED into some proprietary Kindle format that you couldn't get anywhere else. And that is NOT true. The Kindle reads the defacto standard mobipocket format.

So, I disagree with you that there was subterfuge here. But, I don't think adding something to this question on the Wiki stating that many of the places that do sell DRM free versions are most times books that are less popular or less mainstream selections would be a problem. Heck, that is the point of the Wiki and the thread, to fine tune the questions and answers.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 02-16-2009 at 09:40 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #112
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

So, I disagree with you that there was subterfuge here. But, I don't think adding something to this quesiton on the Wiki that many of the places that do sell DRM free versions are most times books that are less popular or less mainstream selections.

BOb
That I can do. I was avoiding saying that Amazon is the best source because a lot of that depends on what one likes to read. I'm more into current fiction, so Amazon is great for me. Someone loving Sci-fi would find baen.com to be a better fit (and so on).

There is already a pointer back to this thread on the wiki but I can add a specific pointer back to RobertJSawyer's post stating that he feels there is more to the story (with his permission of course).
Old 02-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #113
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:

Robert J. Sawyer
Science Fiction Writer
I was picking up a bit of a "Kindles make you beholden to Amazon" vibe, there. Which, yes, is true. But only if you are constrained by the hardware and software you are given out of the box. I've dusted off my old and largely abandoned computer skills since buying my Kindle, just to get around the constraints of the system. I like the wireless aspect of the Kindle, and am really happy with it. I am occasionally frustrated with the restricive aspects of it. But then, anything that helps to keep our brains active, especially as we round that corner, is good, eh?

Last edited by pshrynk; 02-17-2009 at 03:05 PM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #114
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unfortunate truth: you can only purchase books from the Amazon.com Kindle store if you own a Kindle device.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #115
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Unfortunate truth: you can only purchase books from the Amazon.com Kindle store if you own a Kindle device.
But now is a great time to pick up a used K1 on eBay at a cheaper price so you can get access to the Kindle store. Prices may drop more over time.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #116
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
But now is a great time to pick up a used K1 on eBay at a cheaper price so you can get access to the Kindle store. Prices may drop more over time.
What's *your* asking price going to be?
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #117
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I'm not selling (unless you have several million dollars or a home paid for free and clear on a beach in Hawaii or the Caribbean that you are ready to give me). I'll have both. Sorry.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #118
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
$250-$275 seems to be the low side of the available units. Although I've seen a few go for $200.. but they go FAST!

BOb
Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #119
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
I'm not selling (unless you have several million dollars or a home paid for free and clear on a beach in Hawaii or the Caribbean that you are ready to give me). I'll have both. Sorry.
You call that customer loyalty? Sheesh!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #120
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think that kind of contradicts your "cheap price" theory from your other post?

BOb

Tags
iphone, ipod, kindle, kindle myths