Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #16
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I keep track of Title/Author/Month finished here at MobileRead in the Challenge Threads. (2015 / 2016) I keep a copy of the list with links to the stores where I purchased/downloaded the books. I'm not interested in more than that.

I also track book covers at Goodreads (2015). Goodreads tracks other things for me too -- because I fill in several of the fields whenever I add a book -- but I use it primarily to have a visual representation of what I've read.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #17
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I tend to track what word I'm reading at the moment...when I run out of words I go to the next book. Nothing else seems to matter to me! lol
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
With regard to metadata, I try to be as complete as possible.

With regard to reading, I only track which book I read, and then it's automatically added to the list of books read for that year. So, I can see I read The Hobbit in 2012 and in 2015, and that's it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #19
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
With regard to metadata, I try to be as complete as possible.

With regard to reading, I only track which book I read, and then it's automatically added to the list of books read for that year. So, I can see I read The Hobbit in 2012 and in 2015, and that's it.
That's pretty much the extent of what I track as well. Metadata is complete in Calibre when it's added to my library, and then I have a column for the read date(s) so I can quickly tell what I've read and when.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #20
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's all I can do to remember if I read a book already so I don't keep re-reading the same one (unless I want to) but I'm not interested in doing any new paperwork.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #21
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I used to track start and finish dates, but not anymore. Right now I track:

title
author
original published year
author's country
date I finished reading it
number of pages
whether it was electronic or paper
whether I borrowed it from the library
whether it was public domain
amount I spent on the book

I've got some other lists, a country list where I keep a running total of books by country (the author's) and an author list where I keep track of the number of books read by an author as well as total pages. I do keep a map for the countries now as well which is pretty cool. I also use Goodreads as well.

I like numbers. They are mostly useless, but I find they get me looking for other things and remembering authors I've forgotten about sometimes.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #22
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I keep track in calibre, as soon as I finish a book it's marked read and what # book it is in a series. That helps me to see which books I have read in a series, and not just the covers. Cover's change too often. I always sort under Authors, too many books have the same title. This has helped me keep track without starting a book I've already read. I keep a personal yearly challenge thread in calibre also. I like to read the list at the end of the year to see how many and what genres I've read that year. I'll add new challenges the following New Year. It helps me to vary my reading.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #23
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I just check off another book from my reading list.
But I seem to be adding books to my list faster than I take one off.

Last edited by cvkemp; 12-11-2015 at 11:06 AM.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #24
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Oh dear. Yes I track. Unfortunately I only have data from 2008 when I started reading ebooks. I have filled in some stuff I read before that, but mostly its from that date on.
I track lots of stuff in calibre, its my backup, how much I paid, where I got it, when I read it, genres subgenes, I keep some virtual libraries there for other purposes

I track in goodreads where I browse for books and hang amongst other readers. I also track in booklikes. I have lots and lots of shelves on those sites.
Both those sites give me some stats I can see easy like fastest book read, how many pages per year, etc.

I also still have some spreadsheets, which I am getting a bit behind at this point. And lets not forget the notebooks I fill in with all the reading lists.

Oh and fictfact is a must for all the series I need to track.

I like data and I like spreadsheets.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #25
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Oh yes, FictFact is a good one too.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I don't track.
Heck, I have a hard enough time cataloging my cookbooks.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #27
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Thank you for all your responses this has been interesting. I would give out karma to everyone but it says I have run out.

I suppose I should add some more details too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
  • Do you track your reading?
  • Where/how do you do that? In the challenge threads here, in Calibre, on Goodreads, a journal, elsewhere?
I track my reading on Goodreads and on a Google spreadsheet so I can update it any time I want to. Unfortunately my lists only go back to 2011 when I got my Kindle. I did go to Goodreads and put a bunch of books on my "Read" list but I don't have any idea when they were read and I know I am missing a lot of them.
Quote:
  • What do you track? Just title/author or do you know the exact edition of every book you have read back through 1993 including how many reading sessions it took to read each book?
I track Title, Author, whether the author is new (that year), whether the book is a re-read, genre, start/finish/publication dates, my rating, page/word counts where I can find them, Kindle locations (if I read it on the Kindle), price, and I have some codes that indicate things like library book, audio book, series, indie, translated, etc.
Quote:
  • (How) does what you track affect what you read?
In general, I read what I like but I have found that I like a lot more than I thought I did by forcing myself to branch out a little. I do that by keeping track of how many new authors/books I read and how many indie authors I read and try to make sure that at least 20% of the books I read are by indie authors, by a new author or are in a genre that I haven't read a lot of.

Last edited by Dazrin; 12-11-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I just read. The only thing I use for tracking is my memory. I finish one book and it's off to the next one.
Apache
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
This! Those of you who have OCD track away, I'll be busy reading.

I'm in it for the reading.

I usually remember which books I have read (young --> has good memory && maybe I will change one day) so I don't worry about whether I've read it before.
Although if I can't remember the book, then rereading it will give me the same enjoyment as the first time around... right? Win-win.

Tracking diversity is perhaps useful for purely sociopolitical purposes. But I don't care in the slightest.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #29
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
I track:
Author
Title
Series
Year originally published
Rating
Format (Paperback, Hardbound, ebook, etc.)
Number of pages

I only read a book one time (intentionally) unless there are compelling reasons to do otherwise, since, at my current pace (approx. 70 / year) my reading list will require almost 200 years to finish. Normally, I read fiction with the occasional dip into biography or history.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I track at Goodreads.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote