Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
VeLiKi
VeLiKi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Question (MOBI) Proper way to split pages after a chapter / kindle touch

I use kindle touch, and I added a new e-book. I first set the book up in Word 2010, and I used ctrl+enter function after the last line in a chapter to keep the new chapter on a separate page. I created a ToC, and sent it all to my device. Now, whenever I come to an end of the chapter in kindle, the last line of a chapter ends, for example, in the middle of the screen, and then I have an empty (kindle) page, and then I have neatly formatted new chapter heading on top of its new page.

What am I doing wrong? What's the proper way to split pages after chapters?
VeLiKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeLiKi View Post
I use kindle touch, and I added a new e-book. I first set the book up in Word 2010, and I used ctrl+enter function after the last line in a chapter to keep the new chapter on a separate page. I created a ToC, and sent it all to my device. Now, whenever I come to an end of the chapter in kindle, the last line of a chapter ends, for example, in the middle of the screen, and then I have an empty (kindle) page, and then I have neatly formatted new chapter heading on top of its new page.

What am I doing wrong? What's the proper way to split pages after chapters?
The normal Calibre settings (for books (that I convert/modify) will start a chapter (based upon the detection rules) on a fresh screen, you also put a fresh screen (marker) just before the detected one .

Look at the ALL the Structure detection rule optional settings in Preferences: (Conversion Common Options, especially the bottom one (for detection) and the pull down (may say Both)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
VeLiKi

You are right, theducks. There is no need to hit ctrl+enter after each paragraph, it's done automatically. Thanks a lot!

It seems I am yet much to learn about e-books.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You are right, theducks. There is no need to hit ctrl+enter after each paragraph, it's done automatically. Thanks a lot!

It seems I am yet much to learn about e-books.
That is not exactly an e-book thing, but a Calibre way (and user preference setting).
I read on a 5" device. I Like the way paper books are laid out...
So I start chapters on a fresh page. I indent paragraphs that have a a small paragraph spacing and increase the spacing 25% for a non indented style.
Standard margins are tiny (the display bezel is my big margin )

It is all user preference
Old 04-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
VeLiKi

Oooh...you can edit all that? Nice!

Hey, what about tables and graphics?

Long tables?

And text written in two rows? (like newspapers)

Okay, I'm getting off-topic here.
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Oooh...you can edit all that? Nice!

Hey, what about tables and graphics?

Long tables?

And text written in two rows? (like newspapers)

Okay, I'm getting off-topic here.
EPUB gives you options that Mobi (based on a older HTML) does not.

2 columns might be faked with tables, but then you mess up the reflow (there are few paperbacks with 2 columns, which closest match 5-6" readers for display area)
Charts and (real) tables are probably better on larger devices and sometimes must be done as Images, just to keep them sane under any resize.