Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Kerry1958
Kerry1958 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerry1958 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerry1958 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerry1958 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo eReader
Question Kobo eReader battery charging

Hi All, I bought a USB wall charger to charge my eReader as I don't always have access to the internet, I'm pretty sure I have wasted my money, as I had it charging this way for 3 hours, unplugged it, then was told by the eReader that the battery was low. Are there settings I can change to charge through the wall charger or do I have to do it through the computer. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Kerry1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I've charged my Kobo Touch using my car charger for my phone before. Both have a micro USB connection and it worked fine. I didn't have to change any settings,just plugged it in. There doesn't seem to me any reason a wall charger wouldn't work.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Kerry1958
Kerry1958 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerry1958 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerry1958 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerry1958 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks RareBird, My eReader is just a simple one, (not the touch),I thought it would be a straight forward exercise, but when I am charging through the computer, I have to eject the eReader when it has finished charging, I can't do this when it is just connected to the wall, so I think that is what the problem is - I can't eject it before I disconnect the cable. As I said I think I have wasted my money.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It probably has nothing to do with the eject part. You have to do that when you are plugged into the computer because the reader functions as a drive when it is connected by USB to your computer. Drives need to be "unmounted" in this way. With the Touch, you have the choice to connect the ddevice to your computer as a drive, or not to do that. If you choose not to connect it in this way, it does not have to safe disconnect.

I don't remember if this is also true for the Kobo WiFi, in terms of a choice. I do know that my husband uses a wall plug to charge his Kobo WiFi all the time.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
SaveMyKobo
SaveMyKobo began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
I have seen issues in the past when attempting to charge via USB to PC. It seems that some USB (A to Mini) simply do not carry the charge efficiently, or are missing a crucial trace through the cable for the Kobo to charge properly. I experienced one case where I had charged the Kobo for 5+ hours, only to be welcomed to a entirely black screen (dead battery). Connecting to the USB connection in my car started the Kobo up fine.

I would recommend you try a different USB A-Mini cable connected to your PC and see if that helps.
SaveMyKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
I agree with Mr. Save. Probably a bad cable or less likely a bad wall charger. Is the charger a cheep off brand Chinese product or a good quality branded (still Chinese ) product
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
leslie_ms
leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi, Kobo Touch, Kobo for Android
Check the output current of your charger. I believe that Kobo eReaders need at least 500ma to charge.
leslie_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
spatula
spatula began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I have a Wifi and my wife has a touch. I bought a cheap usb wall outlet adapter a few years back, and have used it to charge both kobo's without any difficulties.

It wouldn't have anything to do with not being able to 'eject' it. If you plug your kobo into the computer and select "keep reading" you don't have to eject your kobo, but it will still charge it.
spatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Every phone charger I have tried that has correct plug has worked to charge Kobo wifi and kobo touch including chargers pugged into 12V lighter socket. I had Motorola phones that used same chargers. Kobo touch knows it is not data cable connected to computer. They do not supply enough amps to charge Kobo Vox. Some chargers will not work. My Garmin GPS charger would fit Kobo Wifi but not charge it. I can read books while kobo is being charged with phone charger. Kobo controls the charge and prevents over charging problems. Read small print on charger for compatible input voltage. All the ones I have seen recently are good for both 110V and 220V with plug adapter. If charger you buy does not work take it back for refund.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Every phone charger I have tried that has correct plug has worked to charge Kobo wifi and kobo touch ...
That's why I mentioned cables. I recently had a device (non ereader) that stopped taking a charge and simply replacing the USB cable fixed it. Sometimes cabled do go bad.

FWIW, One of these work nicely to charge kobos: http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=400738 not enough power for a high end smart phone or iPad but plenty for a couple eReaders.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Does your Kobo no longer charge? Do you feel like your wall charger just doesn't like you? Perhaps something else is going on in your life... When cables go bad and your wall charger is cheating on you... on the next Heraldo.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #12
Kerry1958

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. It was a faulty USB cable, new cable and all is well. Once again thank you very much.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #13
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
I just noticed last week, my cell phone, Kobo & Kindle all use the same charger. So I now have 3 wall chargers, 2 car chargers, and umpteen USB cables.

Makes me happy to know I have back-ups. I can leave a wall charger @ work and be covered for all my favorite electronics!!

And very happy the OP was able to work out the issue at hand.
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote