Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PPW5 Signature, Kobo Libra 2, Samsung Tab S6 Lite
Exiting Diagnostics Mode problem [K4NT]

Hi!

I just bought this K4NT and I was eager to change the screensavers so I followed the instructions in this link; http://www.gadget-reviews.me/2012/02...on-amazon.html

I was able to do everything successfully until the part where I need to exit Diagnostic Mode. I tried doing it multiple times but my kindle doesn't go back to "normal" mode. whenever I click FW LEFT to continue exit, it reverts back to the "Disable Diags" menu

is there anyway that I can go back to normal mode even if I need to "hard reset" my kindle? thank you!

EDIT: Whenever I use USB connection via DIAGS mode, my PC recognizes my Kindle with all the additional directories [e.g. Screensavers folder]. It's just that, I can;t go back to normal mode at all

Last edited by ryuji35; 04-08-2012 at 04:40 PM.
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
You need to press LEFT arrow on FIVEWAY button, NOT the select middle button to confirm this.

FW LEFT = left arrow.
I mean this:
Spoiler:
EDIT: picture deleted

If you did that and you still can't get out of diags, it's strange.
It's also possible to set bootmode over ssh, just search the forum for "bootmode"

Last edited by hostar; 04-09-2012 at 08:35 AM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes. I pressed left arrow but it won't boot to normal mode. That is why if there is a way even if I have to delete everything just to restore it back I'd be willing
Old 04-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Connect to ssh, like in that tutorial you posted and execute green lines from following post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=116
Old 04-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
ryuji35
Zealot

I managed to access my kindle and your method worked! Thank you Hostar. I'll update this thread if I found anything strange or if it went smoothly for future references. Thank you very much again

Last edited by ryuji35; 04-08-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
hostar
Zealot

Your welcome
And welcome to forum
Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuji35 View Post
I just bought this K4NT and I was eager to change the screensavers...
an alternative way
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
ryuji35
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
there is no need for jailbreak
if you used geekmaster's data.tar.gz before, just copy RUNME.sh then restart
if you did not use geekmaster's data.tar.gz before, then
copy geekmaster's data.tar.gz to Kindle
copy RUNME.sh to Kindle
restart Kindle

Then
Copy screensavers to the Kindle/screensaver folder ( A restart after a change in screensaver folder may be necessary also.)
images should be in png format and probably needed to be in size 600*800. if there is a problem you should see the original thread for other details
-----------

I copied data.tar.gz into my kindle, extracted RUNME.zip to get RUNME.sh, I also copied it to my Kindle, then I restarted. Then I put a .png 600x800 picture from kindlewallpapers tumblr as well. restarted again. It didn't work :'( Thanks though

Last edited by ryuji35; 04-09-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
I copied data.tar.gz into my kindle, extracted RUNME.zip to get RUNME.sh, I also copied it to my Kindle, then I restarted. Then I put a .png 600x800 picture from kindlewallpapers tumblr as well. It didn't work :'( Thanks though
After adding a data.tar.gz, you need to reboot TWO times. The first reboot INSTALLS the data.tar.gz payload. The second (and later) reboot RUNS the payload and the RUNME.sh script (but only when there is no RUNME.done file).

If you have a RUNME.done file on your kindle, you need to delete it and reboot to run the RUNME.sh script again.

Also, all scripts need to have linux line ends (LF only, no CR characters). If you created the RUNME.sh in a Windows editor, you need to convert it to linux line ends (using a "programmer's editor", or a conversion tool).

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-09-2012 at 12:23 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #10
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Then I put a .png 600x800 picture from kindlewallpapers tumblr as well.
you should put this pictures to the folder which will be created by the script( which will imply the success.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
After adding a data.tar.gz, you need to reboot TWO times. The first reboot INSTALLS the data.tar.gz payload. The second (and later) reboot RUNS the payload and the RUNME.sh script (but only when there is no RUNME.done file).
If you have a RUNME.done file on your kindle, you need to delete it and reboot to run the RUNME.sh script again.
Thanks for the correction. I'll correct the original post also.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
ryuji35
Zealot

Hmm, I pasted data.tar.gz and runme.sh on my kindle and rebooted TWICE (consecutively) but there is no screensaver folder that was created.

Another attempt is I pasted data.tar.gz and runme.sh to my kindle, rebooted once, deleted RUNME.done, then eject, then rebooted again. The difference now is that there was a "runme.sh is running" message in a background of patterns that appears before the usual kindle logo reboot appears. but there is still no screensaver folder that was created.

Another attempt is I pasted data.tar.gz and runme.sh to my kindle, rebooted TWICE, deleted RUNME.done, then eject, then rebooted again. there is still no screensaver folder

The constant event here is that data.tar.gz, after reboot, vanishes from my kindle root. only runme.sh, runme.out, and runme.done appears....
Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Another attempt is I pasted data.tar.gz and runme.sh to my kindle, rebooted once, deleted RUNME.done, then eject, then rebooted again. The difference now is that there was a "runme.sh is running" message in a background of patterns that appears before the usual kindle logo reboot appears. but there is still no screensaver folder that was created.
You ran the wrong RUNME.sh, which is why no screensaver changes were made to your kindle. The RUNME.sh that displays the pattern and text on the kindle eink screen is just a DEMO that proves that the data.tar.gz payload is installed and working. The ONLY thing it does is to display that pattern and message.

You need to replace that RUNME.sh file with a different one that actually DOES whatever changes to your kindle you want, and you need to remove RUNME.done and reboot each time you wish to run another RUNME.sh.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-09-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
ryuji35
Zealot

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/451p1

here is the contents of my Kindle AFTER installation of data.tar.gz and runme.sh
Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
ryuji35
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post

You need to replace that RUNME.sh file with a different one that actually DOES whatever changes to your kindle you want, and you need to remove RUNME.done and reboot each time you wish to run another RUNME.sh.

ohh, okay, so I should re-paste the runme.sh after the second reboot?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/451p1

here is the contents of my Kindle AFTER installation of data.tar.gz and runme.sh
Your image at the link you provided loads VERY slow even on my fast internet connection. It must be a VERY large file. It shows a RUNME.done, which shows that the RUNME.sh did run (one time). You must delete that RUNME.done file to run that or a different RUNME.sh file again.

Your screenshot image does NOT show the contents of the RUNME.sh file. If it is the DEMO script it will just display the pattern and text if it runs again. Please put the RUNME.sh that does what you WANT on your kindle and delete the RUNME.done file, then reboot.

If it does not work, then please show the contents of the script you WANT to run in a post here. It appears that you have only run the wrong RUNME.sh file, but not the correct one that makes your intended screensaver changes.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-09-2012 at 08:08 AM.