Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Sports Illustrated Dazzling Tablet Device

Have you guys seen the article on Sports Illustrated's new device? This is what they envision as the future of their magazine and the direction that ebooks are heading. Very cool.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The thing that seems interesting is that beyond the more obvious bells and whistles they have added, they still seem to have a keen awareness of the actual magazine reading experience with things like that flip view.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
THAT is what an eBook experience should be!

THAT is what an eBook experience should be!
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post

Have you guys seen the article on Sports Illustrated's new device? This is what they envision as the future of their magazine and the direction that ebooks are heading. Very cool.
Hm, this is not Sport's Illustrated's new device....

It's a Time Inc.'s "concept version of Sports Illustrated it says will be able to run on whatever tablet Apple (AAPL) or any else has up their sleeves."

This is why it looks like an iPhone, just like the NY Times mock ups, as well as Condé Nast's ones.

Last edited by Sonist; 12-03-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That video gives me the distinct impression that SI really, really wants to be producing interactive TV shows, or maybe a flash heavy website, not text.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Looks like a perfect magazine experience, and pretty much what I thought the Apple tablet would have put forward to the publishing industry. I wonder if those meetings Apple had with publishers a few months ago simply got Warner Brothers and Time Inc thinking "why can't we do the tablet ourselves, do we need Apple to make the hardware and take a commission on sales?"

If Apple doesn't release the tablet early next year, other companies will beat them to the punch, and even though their tablets might not be as good (no appstore, no itunes integration) they will get a lot of sales if the magazines can create some kind of format which displays on many devices (using flash or something?)

Last edited by fugazied; 12-03-2009 at 04:45 PM.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I have to say, that as someone who is not fond of the "keyboardless tablet" concept, this is actually the first thing I've seen (granted in just Flash demo mode) that might actually be a genuine use for an otherwise worthless -- er, "niche" -- platform. Even so, a lot of it is just gimmicks IMO. I really don't need an interactive magazine that cheers every time I click on an ad.

Oh, and cue JSWolf to decry what is sure to be yet another DRM'ed format.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
Kellhus
Kellhus began at the beginning.

Device: none
I wonder if one could disable the ads Or skip them. Imagine reading some article and in the middle of it an ad starts to play. You can't skip it, can't pause, what's worse you can't even lower the sound
Kellhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I want reading an eBook to be like reading a book, not like watching a TV show. This is just ghastly!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:42 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I have to say, that as someone who is not fond of the "keyboardless tablet" concept, this is actually the first thing I've seen (granted in just Flash demo mode) that might actually be a genuine use for an otherwise worthless -- er, "niche" -- platform. Even so, a lot of it is just gimmicks IMO. I really don't need an interactive magazine that cheers every time I click on an ad.

Oh, and cue JSWolf to decry what is sure to be yet another DRM'ed format.
I'd prefer a keyboard-less tablet myself. And this does look good, but then without the gimmicks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I want reading an eBook to be like reading a book, not like watching a TV show. This is just ghastly!
I couldn't agree more. But this device would be awesome to read all those National Geographic Magazines I have!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 AM   #11
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Well, no reason why when reading a book, the page will not look like a real book (including great typography.)

But then, when you want to read a magazine, it it will look like a magazine (think PDF of a magazine.) And interactive content can be usefull in many circumstances.

And if you want to watch a movie, then you watch a movie.

Methinks this is coming, from somebody. Most likely Apple will be the first to be able to achieve a great UI and great user experience, combined with good design, based on past performance, on current rumors, and on the fact that major publishers keep showing a similar iPhone-ish concept.

If they can really bring OLED at a reasonable price and at something like 11", they'll create a whole new market. Just like they did with the iPod, and with the iPhone. And it will be good for ebooks, too.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:38 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Well, no reason why when reading a book, the page will not look like a real book (including great typography.)

But then, when you want to read a magazine, it it will look like a magazine (think PDF of a magazine.) And interactive content can be usefull in many circumstances.

And if you want to watch a movie, then you watch a movie.
A device that can show movies as well as books I wouldn't mind. But a magazine or book that incorporates movies I would mind and most certainly wouldn't buy. Call me old-fashioned, but that's where I draw the line.

Quote:
Methinks this is coming, from somebody. Most likely Apple will be the first to be able to achieve a great UI and great user experience, combined with good design, based on past performance, on current rumors, and on the fact that major publishers keep showing a similar iPhone-ish concept.
And an even greater price....
Old 12-04-2009, 05:12 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
We continue to agree. I want an ebook to be like reading a book.

If I want to watch TV, then I'll plop my rear end on the couch.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If they can really bring OLED at a reasonable price and at something like 11", they'll create a whole new market. Just like they did with the iPod, and with the iPhone. And it will be good for ebooks, too.
I suspect that battery life will be the main issue. My iPod Touch has about a 4-6h battery life when doing things like reading books or watching movies; that's really very much on the lower limit of what's acceptable for a book reader, although it's acceptable for a video player.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I suspect that battery life will be the main issue. My iPod Touch has about a 4-6h battery life when doing things like reading books or watching movies; that's really very much on the lower limit of what's acceptable for a book reader, although it's acceptable for a video player.
Has it the same battery life when you watch video with it though?