Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
armchair
armchair began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
time machine?

Hello people
just joined. I'm new to this - have just ordered my PRS-505 and started to hoover up some public domain EPUBs. Still working on how to find the time to read them all.. Anyone come up with a time-machine yet?
armchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi armchair and welcome to MobileRead. Be sure and check out all our free ePubs. Also, let us know how you like your 505 when you get it. I've had one for a year and a half now and like it a lot.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi armchair, welcome ! if you happen to find a time-machine anywhere please let me know, i need one of those too !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
Hello people
just joined. I'm new to this - have just ordered my PRS-505 and started to hoover up some public domain EPUBs. Still working on how to find the time to read them all.. Anyone come up with a time-machine yet?
Welcome to MobileRead, armchair.

No time machine yet, but our jobs, housekeeping and outside interests sure suffer!

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
armchair

Thanks everyone. Still working on the time machine. Maybe some sort of quantum flux generator combined with a high amplitude laser gun focussed by an arrangement of diamond coated mirrors, and tied to the gravity field of a small black hole..

Ok, so I read science fiction. It's not a crime you know. (Except on the smaller moons of Aldebaraan 5 of course..)
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 05:30 AM   #6
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi armchair and welcome to MobileRead. Be sure and check out all our free ePubs. Also, let us know how you like your 505 when you get it. I've had one for a year and a half now and like it a lot.
Love the Borges quote - he's one of my favourite authors too. I've got my PRS-505 now, just figuring out the intricacies of loading and organising my books with calibre and ebook library.. (Why no metadata editor in ebook library.? Whole other discussion there..)

Er - where are the free ePubs on your site?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Hello Armchair,

Always good to welcome a fellow Scot (naturalised, in my case).

There's been some sporadic suggestions for a meet-up at the Edinburgh Book Festival this summer. I don't know if it will happen, but look out for more info.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Still working on the time machine. Maybe some sort of quantum flux generator combined with a high amplitude laser gun focussed by an arrangement of diamond coated mirrors, and tied to the gravity field of a small black hole..

Ok, so I read science fiction. It's not a crime you know. (Except on the smaller moons of Aldebaraan 5 of course..)
i can tell already you're going to fit right in around here.

Quote:
Love the Borges quote - he's one of my favourite authors too. I've got my PRS-505 now, just figuring out the intricacies of loading and organising my books with calibre and ebook library.. (Why no metadata editor in ebook library.? Whole other discussion there..)
i use calibre for editing the metadata (actually i use calibre for everything. i don't use the sony software at all). from the library view, select a book and type E to edit metadata. you can also batch edit ; use shift or ctrl to select multiple titles (shift for continguous entries, ctrl for non-contiguous), then type E. this is helpful for adding tags to lots of books at once, or fixing the author meta-data, etc.

Quote:
Er - where are the free ePubs on your site?
click on the "e-books" link in the blue nav bar at the top of the page, then click directly on "epub" to see only that format.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Hello Armchair! We do have a time machine, but Marc (montsnmags) set it up all wrong and now all it does is suck time away from normal activities and forces us to stay here in MobileRead.

Which is not all that bad a thing, though...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Hello Armchair! We do have a time machine, but Marc (montsnmags) set it up all wrong and now all it does is suck time away from normal activities and forces us to stay here in MobileRead.

Yes, we are all caught in the event horizon of MobileRead. I am hoping MR is a white hole and not a black hole.

WDE (WholeDayEvent)
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i use calibre for editing the metadata (actually i use calibre for everything. i don't use the sony software at all). from the library view, select a book and type E to edit metadata. you can also batch edit ; use shift or ctrl to select multiple titles (shift for continguous entries, ctrl for non-contiguous), then type E. this is helpful for adding tags to lots of books at once, or fixing the author meta-data, etc.
Why would you use the sony software?

*looks at Z's devices: ebookwise 1150.*

Nope, no Sony there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post

Except when it keeps you from reading!

Welcome, Armchair! I would try to add some cat hair to your device. It might work (knowing that cats are magical beings...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Welcome Armchair!

Word to the wise...If what u want is more time to dedicate to reading ebooks... this is the wrong place...
If uour looking to read more in general (e.j. threads...)...

WELCOME!

Come in...
have a seat....
can I get you anything?
are you sure?
ok...
on the rocks right...

=)
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
armchair

Thanks for that.

Last edited by armchair; 06-06-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
armchair

Thanks. I have some books in pdf which I am converting using Calibre. Would you recommend going to epub or lrf format? Some of my files seem to end up with egregious line-breaks etc whichever I use, so maybe I'm not ticking the right boxes in the conversion settings, or else the original pdfs are screwed up somehow.. Any tips?

Oh, and yeah I found the freebies ok..
Old 06-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Yes, we are all caught in the event horizon of MobileRead. I am hoping MR is a white hole and not a black hole.

WDE (WholeDayEvent)
..although both would probably kill you..