Notices

Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
luckycharms
Connoisseur
luckycharms began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-650, iPad 1, iPhone 4S
Best way to manage glo with calibre?

Hi folks,

New kobo glo owner here. What are folks' preferred ways to manage their glo with calibre? Do you manage the device itself, or just do it via the sd card?

Thanks!
luckycharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
I manage the device itself. I find the SD card is too slow with more than a few hundred megabytes on it, but my card is slow so maybe it's just me
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharms View Post
Hi folks,

New kobo glo owner here. What are folks' preferred ways to manage their glo with calibre? Do you manage the device itself, or just do it via the sd card?

Thanks!
There are two distinct camps.

Some people put all content on the SD card so if they ever have to do a reset the content will still be on the SD card and they can get back to reading very quickly.

Others (like me) just put all on the device itself, and accept the fact I will need to reload via calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I just use the device itself. Copying all the content back if I really need to isn't much of a problem (especially since I have a small script running that backs up my database each time I connect the read to my computer) and takes little time. Worth noting: I haven't had to restore everything other than once which was my own fault.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Perhaps PeterT is being modest but if you want to use Calibre to help manage your books on the Kobo via Shelves then his helpful post is worth reading.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
luckycharms
Connoisseur

thanks for the good info. So, i've set up calibre to sync to the device. I also have an SD inserted into the device, but i don't see any option to send books to a storage card (they're greyed out). Any thoughts why that might be? My main memory is full already. :-(

thanks!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharms View Post
thanks for the good info. So, i've set up calibre to sync to the device. I also have an SD inserted into the device, but i don't see any option to send books to a storage card (they're greyed out). Any thoughts why that might be? My main memory is full already. :-(

thanks!
The option Send to Storage Card A is greyed out? Hmmm...is the SD card formatted properly?

EDIT: Example, can you view the SD card in Windows Explorer/the Finder/whatever Linux uses (not sure what OS you're on) and copy files to it?
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
luckycharms
Connoisseur

ok - thanks. the card was bad. i put a new one in and it seems to be working now. thanks!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
I load my books into the SD from Calibre.

The main reason I do this is because I like the idea that if anything happened to my Glo, I could just remove the SD card and my books would be safe. Bad update? No problem!

I like the idea that my books aren't confined to one device. I could pop the card out and I'd have the books I can stick in anything that can read an SD card.

I haven't noticed any slowdown or other nastiness from use of an SD card with my GLo and Calibre.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote