Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
sillyone
sillyone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
Is it possible to boot in text mode?

A very silly question here: is it possible to make K3 boot in text mode, ie without the firmware, but running getty on tty?
I realize kindle usually boots into runlevel 5, but after taking a look at /etc/rc[1-4].d, it seems to me that runlevels from 1 to 4 are all diagnostics-reserved (?).

An even sillier but related question is: if I change the default runlevel on inittab to a custom one and things doesn't work, would there be an easy way to restore inittab (since usb network would not be avaiable) or would my kindle be bricked?

(OK, maybe the first script on this custom runlevel could just restores the original iniitab)
sillyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyone View Post
An even sillier but related question is: if I change the default runlevel on inittab to a custom one and things doesn't work, would there be an easy way to restore inittab (since usb network would not be avaiable) or would my kindle be bricked?

(OK, maybe the first script on this custom runlevel could just restores the original iniitab)
You can backup and restore the K3 main partition over USB even when bricked. See the K3 links in the Dev Corner "simple debricking" sticky thread.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
But, errm, there is no framebuffer console, so that would be the thing to make working before messing with making it permanent via runlevel.

So to the OP: There's no tty, so no getty is running. Except for a telnet/SSH getty when you install USB networking hack - and I much prefer a remote login to the K3 keyboard when it comes to maintenance tasks.

I guess it's not to different to the Android landscape - custom ROMs bring a lot of different functionality, but I've yet to hear of a custom ROM introducing framebuffer console plus a set of gettys. There simply are more convenient ways w/ regard to shell access.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote