Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Noob's guide to debricking through ATK :D

EDIT: I really, really advocate using Kubrick instead of ATK. Kubrick works better, has a higher success rate, is less complicated, and easier to support, from a developer standpoint. If you really must use ATK, then proceed, at your own risk.

I've created a small guide to debricking the kindle keyboard with ATK on the wiki. This should cover it all, but feel free to edit it, (translate?) and clarify things for noobs.(i wrote this in a car with no internet access only an ATK screenshot, so some parts aren't very clear..)

I saw the commotion that SYRIUSDARK was causing and it seemed like we didn't really have a great how-to and I had also recently decided that I had been a lurker too long, and that i needed to contribute in one way or another, so i created this guide so that it will help many who come to this forum looking for K3 help.

Enjoy

(btw, i hope i did the additions to the index correctly. i added it to How-to and k3)

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk

Last edited by qlob; 07-06-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Updated Header
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I added this thread to the "simple debricking" first post (top of the "References" section). The full title plus URL did not fit one line, so I gave it a shorter description: "USB debricking for noobs (K3)".

I tried to bump your Karma to 2600 (for a useful contribution) but I missed 100. I will add that as soon as MR will let me.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
melib
melib began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Thank you, qlob.
I successfully flash my (unbrick) kindle 3 by following your guide.
Your guide is easy to follow.
melib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melib View Post
Thank you, qlob.
I successfully flash my (unbrick) kindle 3 by following your guide.
Your guide is easy to follow.
@Melib: I added your success report to the simple debricking first post.

@qlob: Your guide makes K3 USB debricking easy enough that I requesting a title change for the "simple debricking" sticky thread to include the K3 as more than just "links". I see also that "somebody else" gave you the missing 100 karma. Welcome to the "2600 club".

For those who wonder what is "special" about 2600, it is a famous frequency from the pre-computer hacking days: http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/201...-were-phreaks/

Now that we have "simple debricking methods" for K3/K4/K5, who can find the "magic key" for the DX and DXG? Do those units support freescale Advanced Toolkit, or is there a different tool set for them?

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-27-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
Deto
Deto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
When I click "Next" in the ATK I get an error message explaining "No USB Detected!" I think the issue is a driver one - specifically it looks like the drivers that come with ATK 1.70 are only for 32-bit systems. Are you all using a different version of ATK with updated drivers and where can I get it?
Deto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deto View Post
When I click "Next" in the ATK I get an error message explaining "No USB Detected!" I think the issue is a driver one - specifically it looks like the drivers that come with ATK 1.70 are only for 32-bit systems. Are you all using a different version of ATK with updated drivers and where can I get it?
To run 32-bit drivers in a 64-bit windows, you need to tell windows to allow unsigned drivers when you reboot it. There is a success report from a user who used 64-bit win7 with MfgTool, and you should be able to do the same thing with ATK instead of MfgTool.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
rbl
rbl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Does anyone have a link for the kindle 3 root file system (mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip)? The Gitbrew website doesn't work for me.
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
geekmaster

The gitbrew web server does seem to be down at the moment. Try again later. It would be nice to have a backup on another server.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
qlob
Official Lurker

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to at least run the guide through Google Translate for a couple of languages and if people want to, improve on those tranlations? That might be of use, especially for some new people whose first language isn't english.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
qlob
Official Lurker

Since nobody decided to reply to my above post, I have gone and added a rough spanish translation from google of this guide.

Can anyone give me some help with Sections on the wiki?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
DROM
DROM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard/3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Since nobody decided to reply to my above post, I have gone and added a rough spanish translation from google of this guide.

Can anyone give me some help with Sections on the wiki?
I have edited the information in Spanish from the wiki for Spanish speakers can follow the guide in the best way (I myself am a Spanish speaker)
Thanks for the great job you all are making
DROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROM View Post
I have edited the information in Spanish from the wiki for Spanish speakers can follow the guide in the best way
Ths way would be more proper.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The gitbrew web server does seem to be down at the moment. Try again later. It would be nice to have a backup on another server.
I found an announcement from 2011 September 11 that gitbrew.org "will cease to exist", with a request to mirror portions of that site: http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Gitbrew

Perhaps dasmoover did not see that warning when he provided storage for some of our forensic images?

If gitbrew.org remains offline, we need copies of those images hosted elsewhere.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
DROM
DROM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard/3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Ths way would be more proper.
Really!
DROM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3