Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #31
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
? I simply used the cyanogen zip, named it update and put it on the SD. The recovery won't take it. I use a beta build where the Mac address is fixed. So none of your packages.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #32
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It would be grand if someone more experienced than I am would do a post detailing how to do the rooting/cyanogen/market installation now that it is waaaay easier due to the latest update. I would give it a shot, but I have a feeling I am more lucky than informed.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #33
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Please refer to the first post in this thread for the most current information:
http://tinyurl.com/OogleVox

Quote:
Hi Taming,

I just installed the last update and had some difficulties.

I am not exactly sure if you need to do the whole thing like this, but here is what I did.
1) Update - The update broke my functioning Google Market and my root
2) Once the Kobo app setup has finished running (if it is required, I don't remember at this point) go to menu -> settings -> applications. Ensure "Unknown Sources" is checked, then press development and enable "USB debugging".
3) Download and install GingerBreak-V1.20.apk (can be googled), once Gingerbreak is installed click on the "root device". Kobo will restart 2 or 3 times (I can't remember) and you will see a SuperUser (with a green pirate-sort of looking icon) in the programs menu once it has sucessfully installed.
4) I did a factory reset on my device at this point (this may or may not be required, but since I had google market on there last time the system and the data was messed up so that was the solution)To perform factory default (Hold VOL UP and PWR) then finished the Kobo setup wizard.
5) I downloaded and extracted gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip from the cyanogenmod website and put it on my Kobo's external SD card.
6) I am also a user of Root Explorer, so I put that on the kobo's SD card. I think there are other apps you can use for this task, but none come to my mind now.
7) Downloaded an app called "AndExplorer" this is a file manager that allows me to install my downloaded apps from the SD card. You can find this with a google search and download it directly to the Kobo, then once the download is finished, install the program. Once AndExplorer was installed, I navigated to the extsd folder and Installed Root Explorer.
8) Installed "GoogleServicesFramework.apk" and "Vending.Apk" and "MediaUploader.apk" from the package referred to earlier. The files are in the app folder within the zip file.
9) Copied the following files to /system/app using root explorer (had to mount /system as R-W first):
GenieWidget.apk
GoogleBackupTransport.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
MarketUpdater.apk
MediaUploader.apk
NetworkLocation.apk
OneTimeInitializer.apk
Vending.apk
10) Set the permissions to 644 (Owner : read/write, group read, everyone read) and changed the ownership to 0/0 (root/root) on each of those files listed.
11) SHut down kobo and restarted it
12) Went into accounts and added my google account just as I would on any normal android device
13) Launched market and installed gmail and youtube!

Hope that helps!
Those were the original instructions, use the following now:

1) Update - The update broke my functioning Google Market and my root
2) Once the Kobo app setup has finished running (if it is required, I don't remember at this point) go to menu -> settings -> applications. Ensure "Unknown Sources" is checked, then press development and enable "USB debugging".
3) Download and install GingerBreak-V1.20.apk (can be googled), once Gingerbreak is installed click on the "root device". Kobo will restart 2 or 3 times (I can't remember) and you will see a SuperUser (with a green pirate-sort of looking icon) in the programs menu once it has sucessfully installed.
4) I did a factory reset on my device at this point (this may or may not be required, but since I had google market on there last time the system and the data was messed up so that was the solution)To perform factory default (Hold VOL UP and PWR) then finished the Kobo setup wizard.
5) I downloaded and extracted gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip from the cyanogenmod website and put it on my Kobo's external SD card.
6) Download and install File Expert - http://www.xageek.com/en/
7) Open File Expert, menu button -> more -> settings -> File Explorer Settings -> Tick Root Explorer. SuperUser window will appear, say allow.
8) Copied the following files to /system/app using File Expert (had to mount /system as Read Write first: use File Expert -> menu button -> Mount -> Mount as Read Write):
GenieWidget.apk
GoogleBackupTransport.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
MarketUpdater.apk
MediaUploader.apk
NetworkLocation.apk
OneTimeInitializer.apk
Vending.apk
9) Set the permissions to 644 (Owner : read + write, group read, everyone read) on each one of the files listed in step 8. This step is VERY important!
10) Changed the ownership to 0/0 (root/root) on each of those files listed in step 8. (I think this step might be optional)
11) Shut down kobo and restart it (in order for the new system files to appear the system needs to be restarted).
12) Went into accounts and added my google account just as I would on any normal android device.
13) Launched market and installed gmail and youtube!

Last edited by danifunker; 01-18-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Consistent instructions... always read thread #1 for up-to-date instructions
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #34
Jemison
Jemison began at the beginning.

So, I just applied the update... and the only thing I lost was google currents! Before applying the update, I used gingerbreaks to unroot my device - but that was it. Maybe I got lucky?
Jemison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #35
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemison View Post
So, I just applied the update... and the only thing I lost was google currents! Before applying the update, I used gingerbreaks to unroot my device - but that was it. Maybe I got lucky?
Is your google account still in there? Check to see if everything is working. But I have found that doing a factory reset after doing a kobo firmware upgrade is better since you seem to get the factory settings for that version of firmware.
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #36
Jemison
Jemison began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
Is your google account still in there? Check to see if everything is working. But I have found that doing a factory reset after doing a kobo firmware upgrade is better since you seem to get the factory settings for that version of firmware.
Yep, my google account is still there. My gmail reads my mail, and youtube let me login. The build number says CAN.20111219.094110.40397 and the unlock screen is different (has the "Slide to unlock..." text)

Am I upgraded?

Right now I'm re-removing all the stock apps using adb. I'm going to save all the commands in a file so that at least I don't have to retype them.
Jemison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #37
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemison View Post
Yep, my google account is still there. My gmail reads my mail, and youtube let me login. The build number says CAN.20111219.094110.40397 and the unlock screen is different (has the "Slide to unlock..." text)

Am I upgraded?

Right now I'm re-removing all the stock apps using adb. I'm going to save all the commands in a file so that at least I don't have to retype them.
You seem to be upgraded, but if everything is working fine; really don't touch it I'm just saying in general...
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #38
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
Hi Taming,
Hope that helps!
It definitely will. I had market working, and then not. I will go through the whole process as you outlined.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #39
fddekker
fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have ES File explorer (1.6.0.8) installed but I don't seem to have the ability to enable root exploring (where do you change the setting to do this?)
I also have root explorer installed but can't see the /system folder.
I also have mount/system (rw/ro) installed, and even if I change the mount to r/w, I still can't see the /system folder.

The Kobo is rooted and I do have superuser access. I have Gingerbreak, LiGux Tools and Busy Box (1.17.1) installed. Why can't I see the /system folder?
fddekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #40
mike998
Exasperated Kobo Lover
mike998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
[Whole thing is obsolete since 19/12/2011 update. New procedure here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=33]]

Note that you don't neces... Blah Blah Blah
Good Stuff! Got Market, Gmail, YouTube installed. Thanks!
mike998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #41
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
[Whole thing is obsolete since 19/12/2011 update. New procedure here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=33]]
How/why is the previous method obsolete?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #42
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=26

"The whole thread will be obsolete when the MAC address fix, which I now know exists, will come out. There will only be need to install the packages directly from the Cyanogen 7 zip. Unfortunately, we'll not be able to apply it as an update.zip, so users will have to go the same ways (rooting or adb)."
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Yes, it was good to see that Kobo made the change to the MAC address in this update.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #44
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=26

"The whole thread will be obsolete when the MAC address fix, which I now know exists, will come out. There will only be need to install the packages directly from the Cyanogen 7 zip. Unfortunately, we'll not be able to apply it as an update.zip, so users will have to go the same ways (rooting or adb)."
That's fine but I still don't understand why the instructions now (danifunker's) are much longer and more complicated than your previous concise instructions. I would have thought the mac address fix would make this simpler to get working, not more complicated.

[edit]: I guess what I am asking is, couldn't your instructions simply have been amended to remove unnecessary steps rather than removed altogether?

[further edit]: In fact, isn't the only thing that has changed is you use the googleframework file from cyanogen instead of the kobo one?

Last edited by mr_nobody; 12-23-2011 at 03:45 PM.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #45
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
The new instructions aren't more complicated, just more detailed. If you read through them you'll realize there aren't that many steps you'll need to do.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote