Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Z-Machine on the Kindle 2

Does anyone know if there is an effort to port a z-machine interpreter like Frotz to the Kindle 2? The Kindle would be perfect for playing text adventures on like Zork etc, Given the long battery life and the built in keyboard.

Last edited by davidspitzer; 04-23-2009 at 01:31 PM.
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

There is a javascript version of z-machine that you can use on mobile web browsers such as the iphone. But it doesn't work on the Kindle browser yet (I'm not sure if the kindle browser even supports javascript).

http://parchment.toolness.com/

the text version of rogue is pretty fun btw.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
There is a javascript version of z-machine that you can use on mobile web browsers such as the iphone. But it doesn't work on the Kindle browser yet (I'm not sure if the kindle browser even supports javascript).

http://parchment.toolness.com/

the text version of rogue is pretty fun btw.
I own the complete infocomm library - it would rock on the Kindle!

Calling all you coding genius's is it possible? I have an extensive collection of z-machine stories I can supply for testing
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Javascript version @ http://parchment.toolness.com/ works fine on K3 browser. Thanks to whoever though of using the Kindle as a platform for resurrecting these wonderful old games!
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
Does anyone know if there is an effort to port a z-machine interpreter like Frotz to the Kindle 2? The Kindle would be perfect for playing text adventures on like Zork etc, Given the long battery life and the built in keyboard.
I'm pretty sure there will be a port as soon as things opens up, if not I'll get it done myself once the KDK access becomes available.

Frotz would be hard work to implement, but since the KDK supports the Java J2ME profile it shouldn't take more than a weekend to get zplet, zag or zaxmidlet up'n running with some z-code.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post
Javascript version @ http://parchment.toolness.com/ works fine on K3 browser. Thanks to whoever though of using the Kindle as a platform for resurrecting these wonderful old games!

Wow! I played through 9:05 by adam cadre twice today for the first time (very short game) and it worked unexpectedly well.

The entire game is loaded and even if you turn off wifi , go to the home screen or whatever you can pick up where you left off just like a book. (Although you need to bookmark your position if you're going to use the browser for other pages).

I think it's best for newer games that are shorter and have less intermediate steps to getting things done than a lot of the classics from the 80's. (The kindle keyboard isn't that great)
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The KDK is Java based, and there are z-machines for that. So whenever KDK is officially released we should be in business...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote