Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
the Nook overall loss might have exceeded $1.3 billion USD to date

The topic that B&N Nook might be sold for $300 million got me looking into the Nook losses to date. Here's what I have found:

Year ending April 30 2010 NOOK EBITA: ?
Year ending April 30 2011 NOOK EBITA: (209 million USD)
Year ending April 30 2012 NOOK EBITA: (261 million USD)
Year ending April 30 2013 NOOK EBITA: (475 million USD)
+
Quarter ending on July 27, 2013 NOOK EBITA: (55 million USD)
Quarter ending on October 26, 2013 NOOK EBITA (45 million USD)

Assume (200 mil) for the year ending April 30 2010 and (50 mil) for the Quarter ending on January 26, 2014, the total EBITA would be (1045) + (200) + (50) = (1295 million USD) as of January 26, 2014.

Things are not looking good for the Nook. Waterstones decision not to enter into the e-readers/tablets market looking more and more like a great decision.

p.s. EBITA is a company's earnings before the deduction of interest, tax and amortization expenses.

B&N combined year ending April 30 2013:

EBITDA $ 10,266

Depreciation and Amortization (227,134)
Interest Expense, net (35,345)
Income Taxes 97,407
Total loss $ (154,806)

Last edited by Top100EbooksRank; 02-22-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
Things are not looking good for the Nook. Waterstones decision not to enter into the e-readers/tablets market looking more and more like a great decision.
Ditto for Books-a-Million here in the US.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do not think of any of them as bookstores anymore. You walk into a store and there is more sales space dedicated to clothing and toys than is for books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I do not think of any of them as bookstores anymore. You walk into a store and there is more sales space dedicated to clothing and toys than is for books.
Apache
The term is "lifestyle merchandise" and pbooks are a big part of it, especially the coffee table books, cookbooks, self-help guides, and the like. Litfic is a better fit, demographically, than genre fiction. In marketting-speak, bookstores are moving upscale.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
B&N. Great products, great staff, terrible management. **** floats to the top.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
The topic that B&N Nook might be sold for $300 million got me looking into the Nook losses to date. Here's what I have found:

Year ending April 30 2010 NOOK EBITA: ?
Year ending April 30 2011 NOOK EBITA: (209 million USD)
Year ending April 30 2012 NOOK EBITA: (261 million USD)
Year ending April 30 2013 NOOK EBITA: (475 million USD)
+
Quarter ending on July 27, 2013 NOOK EBITA: (55 million USD)
Quarter ending on October 26, 2013 NOOK EBITA (45 million USD)

Assume (200 mil) for the year ending April 30 2010 and (50 mil) for the Quarter ending on January 26, 2014, the total EBITA would be (1045) + (200) + (50) = (1295 million USD) as of January 26, 2014.

p.s. EBITA is a company's earnings before the deduction of interest, tax and amortization expenses.

B&N combined year ending April 30 2013:

EBITDA $ 10,266

Depreciation and Amortization (227,134)
Interest Expense, net (35,345)
Income Taxes 97,407
Total loss $ (154,806)

how can they lose so much money?

what are they doing?

if only i was in charge i would made them into a money spinner.

nook glow light is awesome and i would have advertised it massively with plenty of sexy girls holding it because sexiness sells.

i have never seen a sexy nook ad.

actually i have never seen a nook advertised on tv.

my way would have been to advertise with many model girls in stockings holding it in strategic places and make risque moves.

lesbianism would have been a major theme in my advertising..it would have generated HUGE publicity.

this would have got people talking and buying it.

look how madonna sold her records like vogue et al.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

what are they doing?

"Nobody knows. It is a mystery."

I'm also reminded of the tenure of the Tramiel kids at Atari:
"They made a small fortune... out of a big one."
Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 AM   #8
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
R&D

overestimate demand, which mean write down of assets

competing against Amazon, Apple, Samsung, Google with tablets

competing against Amazon's low margin ebook selling
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
When incompetent people cause the problems and are asked to fix the problem, the situation is doomed to failure. The people in charge are never going to fire themselves. Someone else has to come in and clean house.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Who was BN targeting with their device?

They were not going to leach Amazon customers. And I doubt it had much appeal to the general public as the general public isn't visiting book stores anymore and didn't have much loyalty to the BN brand.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post

They were not going to leach Amazon customers. And I doubt it had much appeal to the general public as the general public isn't visiting book stores anymore and didn't have much loyalty to the BN brand.

They didn't need to reach the general public, they needed to reach readers, and readers do tend to go to bookstores. To the most die-hard e-book fans, it may seem that no one went to book stores, but that's not necessarily reality. Amazon users may not be likely to switch to B&N, but a few years ago, Amazon wasn't nearly as dominant. With better business decisions, B&N could have competed much more effectively.

The publishers keep grumbling against Amazon, and there is one thing they can do to undermine Amazon. If people switch from Amazon to Kobo, B&N or whoever, allow them to keep their books. It would be simple to do, for each book put out by that publisher that someone purchased from Amazon, grant a license for that book on their new reader. It wouldn't actually COST the publishers anything. This would make it easier to switch away from Amazon, and help ensure that that Amazon had plausible competition.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Amazon users may not be likely to switch to B&N, but a few years ago, Amazon wasn't nearly as dominant. With better business decisions, B&N could have competed much more effectively.
When I first started my search for an eInk reader (as a long time e-reader on other devices) the Pearl screens were just starting to come out. It definitely wasn't clear who the dominant player was going to be. For years I'd seen Sony readers in bookstores, Borders was showing the Kobo, and of course the Nook. Kindles were almost invisible to the general public.

I went into my search leaning toward the Sony or Nook. I ended up with a Kindle.

Why? (at the time)
  • The Nook had this split screen UI with a color LCD at the bottom that was SLOW and clunky. Horrid user experience in my opinion.
  • The Kobo felt cheap and didn't have the Pearl screen of the Kindle Keyboard that was starting to show up in stores.
  • The Sony readers seemed to be very high quality, but felt more like using a computer to read to me due to the overly busy UI and the placement of the page turn buttons.

Looking back, I'm glad I went the way that I did.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post

Their problem is that when their loyalists were adopting Nook at a furious clip in 2010-11, they thought they *were* reaching the general public and planned their 2011-12 product lines accordingly.
Once reality set in, they were up to their gills in STBs and Glowlights.
And then the price fix conspiracy greased Apple's entry and casual iPad and iPhone ebook customers trickled to Apple...

They overestimated the appeal of their hardware and they misread the impact of the price fix conspiracy. They might have weathered either mistake alone but together...

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-24-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Their problem is that when their loyalists were adopting Nook at a furious clip in 2010-11, they thought they *were* reaching the general public and planned their 2011-12 product lines accordingly.
Once reality set in, they were up to their gills in STBs and Glowlights.
And then the price fix conspiracy greased Apple's entry and casual iPad and iPhone ebook customers trickled to Apple...

They overestimated the appeal of their hardware and they misread the impact of the price fix conspiracy. They might have weathered either mistake alone but together...
I think it was more up to their gills in Nook HD and Nook HD+ units, honestly.

They were running ahead of the pack for a while with the Nook Color and Tablet. When the Nook Color came out there was no $200 ish tablet of any sort anywhere that wasn't utter crap. But they threw away their lead.

They should have gotten the Google Play store the minute Amazon announced the Kindle Fire. They wasted valuable time trying to create their own ecosystem. Shooting way too high.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I think it was more up to their gills in Nook HD and Nook HD+ units, honestly.

They were running ahead of the pack for a while with the Nook Color and Tablet. When the Nook Color came out there was no $200 ish tablet of any sort anywhere that wasn't utter crap. But they threw away their lead.

They should have gotten the Google Play store the minute Amazon announced the Kindle Fire. They wasted valuable time trying to create their own ecosystem. Shooting way too high.
Agreed. The first Kindle Fire was a pretty crappy tablet, but it was open and it had a decent app store. If the first KF had had to compete with a more polished nook Tablet that also had Google Play then B&n might have come out ahead that year rather than starting their decline the following Spring.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote