Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
makani
Enthusiast
makani began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-505
Library book availability

I use the overdrive library system to download books from my local library to my Sony prs 505. I have to put the desired book on reserve frequently as it is already out on loan. I discoverd somthing receintly that might help us all to get our eooks from the library a lot quicker.

I downloaded an available book to my computer and then to my reader, then I disconected the reader and returned the book stored on my computer to the library. I was still able to read the book on my reader for the alloted time it was checked out, but now someone else would also have access to the book right away. If we all followed this procedure it would shorten the wait times and increase the number of books availlable.
makani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
As was mentioned elsewhere, your idea is a noble one, but what you're doing is end-running the (library's) user agreement ... which is not to say I wouldn't do it if I only had a small amount of the book left to actually read, and there were a queue for it.

Also, be aware that Overdrive flags (and freezes) accounts that fit such a pattern.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also, I *think* if you sync your reader with ADE, it'll remove the book you've returned, so you wouldn't be able to add more books to your reader until you were finished reading the books you've returned but kept on your reader.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Also, be aware that Overdrive flags (and freezes) accounts that fit such a pattern.
Can you specify which pattern you're identifying? Checking out and returning books before they expire? Checking out and not returning?

Are those of us regularly checking out our limit (25 at SPL) and returning those we won't read before they expire at risk for having our accounts frozen? That would be worrisome.

Last edited by thename; 09-16-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Link to SPL fixed
thename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I was referring to checking out and returning a book within, I believe, 48 hours, that flags the system. I return books early so that other SPL patrons can have access to them, but not that soon. I don't understand why you check out all 25 books at once though? I get out a couple at a time, with a (growing!) Overdrive wishlist instead.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I was referring to checking out and returning a book within, I believe, 48 hours, that flags the system. I return books early so that other SPL patrons can have access to them, but not that soon. I don't understand why you check out all 25 books at once though? I get out a couple at a time, with a (growing!) Overdrive wishlist instead.
Hence my request for a clarification on the time window.

But thanks, I appreciate the implicit judgment re: my Overdrive usage. To answer your question it's the same reason I have more than 1 album on MP3 player at any given time. Sure, I could just carry 1 but I'm of the opinion that having multiple options at any given point is one of the perks of portable electronics. But hey, to each their own.
thename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks for the Overdrive clarification, SeaBookGuy. I was a bit worried too by your comments. Whenever I am done reading a book, I try to return it early. I wish more people realized that they had the capability to do so. Since many books have a waiting list I just think it's nice etiquette. Share the reading love!

My library allows a maximum checkout of 10 items, which includes the combination of any media type (ebooks, audiobooks, music, video). Also you need to keep some margin because it's difficult to predict when your items on hold might become available. Thus it's not hard to feel constrained sometimes. It is nice to have the ability on ebooks to return them early which is not an option on the other media types.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote