Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
GreetingsDude
GreetingsDude began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Calibre's compatibility with Windows 2000

Good afternoon,

I'm sorry if I missed a topic addressing this question, I did my best to look around.

I downloaded and installed version 0.5.12 of calibre and it works fine on Windows 2000. I chose that version basically randomly from here because the latest version does not install on Win2000. Does anyone know what the latest version to support Win2000 is? Alternately, is there a workaround to install the latest version on Win2000?

(Please do not suggest that I upgrade to WinXP, since I have already decided not to do that. )
GreetingsDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I have 0.6.13 working at Windows 2000 (I would never suggest an OS update )
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No version of calibre has ever supported win2k. The latest that will even install on win2k is 0.6.16
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Pardon my curiosity, but why do you not want to upgrade from 2000? You can't safely use it for internet since MS no longer supports it.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
You can't safely use it for internet since MS no longer supports it.
Now I'm curious, what does the above refer to?

Nevermind, I didn't see the ('t) after can. Sometimes my brain doesn't function correctly.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wait until you're my age.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
GreetingsDude

Thank you for all the replies!! I will try installing the latest 0.6 release before you moved to .msi -- should have realized that was the point.

My machine is running legacy hardware -- Sempron processor, 512MB RAM -- so upgrading to XP would degrade the performance, I think.

AVG Antivirus and Firefox 3 both help keep me safe.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Getting rid of AVG would make things run a lot faster.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

To expand on what JSWolf said, the lastest version(s) of AVG have been resource hogs, impairing performance in all but the most powerful machines (if they are lightly utilized). Don't merely get rid of AVG (which would leave you unprotected); replace it with something else, such as Microsoft Security Essentials (which is free) or Avast's free version. I use Avast.

You might also consider upgrading your hardware; your's must be getting pretty tired. Win 2000 is no longer being supported by MS, leaving you wide open to any new vulnerabilities that are discovered since MS will not be patching them anymore. If you do upgrade, you might as well upgrade to a machine that will handle Win 7 and get one of the midpriced versions of Win 7 (buy it separately instead of getting it preloaded on your machine; OEM versions are basically one time use only and can't be reused on a new machine or even with a new MOBO in the current machine). That should keep you going for quite a few years.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
GreetingsDude

Quote:
You might also consider upgrading your hardware; your's must be getting pretty tired.
Nope. Old hard drives get "tired" quickly, but my processor, RAM and GPU are still going strong, no problems at all. I expect them to continue to do so for years more.

I will try Avast -- I see that it is well-thought-of.

I am in rebellion against the very concept of unnecessarily upgrading. I hear what you are saying about Win2000 (Although you are incorrect that it is no longer supported, that is only Win2000 Server, Win2000 Professional is supported for 2 more months ....) but there have been no significant improvements to Windows since 2000 aside from GUI and networking abilities that I do not want or need. I guess I will take my chances, as no system is truly 100% secure anyway.

Wait, I thought I said I wasn't going to get into this? Oh well...
Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We are using Comodo with different dual-core systems and it runs quite nicely. I have not tried Avast so I cannot compare the two. All I can say is that I like Comodo better then Norton and AVG.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote