Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Sassyinkpen
Sassyinkpen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPod Touch
ANY method to delete or mark files on Nook Color?

I ADORE my Nook Color and it's ideal for me in nearly every way....except that I can't mark, move or delete files directly from it and that makes managing them a pain in the ass. I'm referring to things I put on under the "My Files" area, not the ebooks.

What I mainly use it for:

Reading content downloaded from the internet, either in html-only files (mostly), or epub files. These are generally things like blog posts, etc.

What I'd like to be able to do:

When I'm finished reading a particular file, I'd like to be able to either delete it, move it to another place, or mark it as read. (or some other idea that will allow me to tell which ones are read and which ones are unread).

Has anyone found any kind of solution for this? I LOVE the fact that I can load content sorted into folders and keep each catefory of files separate, but I have a hell of a time looking at the lists and figuring out which ones I've read and which ones I haven't yet. (I usually have several hundred in various folders).

I'm looking for ANY potential solution - whether it's a organizational trick someone has come up with, or an app or new reader software that will allow me to do something like this.

I'll even consider rooting it and trying some of those things, but I've been looking at the threads and don't understand the language well enough to determine if it'll get me what I want. (Is there a real beginners thread for that? I don't know what CM7 and MIUI are.....help?). I DO have the capacity to figure it out if I need to, I just need some direction to understand what they are referring to in the instructional threads.

EDIT: I have updated to version 1.4.1

Thanks.
Sassyinkpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Your Nook Color Options: Root & ROMs

Did the update address your original problem? I know the old workaround for the stock NC's lack of a file manager was to install one of the Office apps from B&N's market, which had a file manager built in. That should at least allow you to delete. If you root or run a custom ROM, there are tons of Android apps like Evernote or Read It Later that are designed to manage reading lists built from websites.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Sassyinkpen

I don't think it did - But I'm not entirely sure. I haven't found any way to delete, move or mark files in that area yet, but I have no idea what all the update did beyond landscape reading and some more access to Android things.

If there is new functionality for moving/deleting, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to do it.

Meanwhile, I'm off to read the link you posted - thanks! Looks like that will get me a little more educated.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Sassyinkpen

Read It Later is a good one, but it has a flaw in that it can't get past age restricted gates on blog posts, etc, which isn't an issue if I'm reading in a place with wi-fi, but is totally unworkable if I'm not. I have that on my iPod and thought it was the answer to all my prayers, until that glitch popped up.

The app I've found that I ADORE is "Tomes" which saves the content offline, eliminating the restriction issue, and allows files to be sorted into folders - which Read It Later didn't the last time I used it. (I know you can tag things, but not on the fly, and it was too tedious to go back and do it.) As far as I know, there is no Android version yet.

I've tried Evernote to some extent, but not really for this kind of file management. I think I assumed it might have the same issue as Read It Later in terms of needing some web access to fully display certain pages/files.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Long pressing brings up the 'Delete' option.

Haven't seen options for moving or marking files, though. That would be nice.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Sassyinkpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Long pressing brings up the 'Delete' option.

My god....IT DOES!!

I never knew that - thank you!!

This gets me the barest minimum of what I wanted - a way to weed out what files I've read and what files I haven't.

It's a little clunky - after deleting the file, it bumps me all the way out to the beginning of the My Files directory. A little bit of a pain, but tolerable in order to seriously up the usability of the Nook for what I read.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Root the device.

It's VERY easy, and it opens up EVERYTHING to you.

There is a manual nooter out that works with 1.4.1, and I love it!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Sassyinkpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Root the device.

It's VERY easy, and it opens up EVERYTHING to you.

There is a manual nooter out that works with 1.4.1, and I love it!
I'm strongly thinking about it...for sure. Is "nooter" a typo for rooter, or is that a term I should learn. (serious question here - there are a lot of strange terms for this stuff)

I recognize your icon, and I know I've seen a lot of posts by you in threads along some slightly similar lines.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Nooter is the term.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #10
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
You could make a shelf called "Read" and move the read books onto it, if you don't want to root your Nook. This is similar to what I do with my Sony. I like to keep the books on the device but I have a collection called Read that I move them to once I'm finished reading them.

Edit: actually, this won't remove the books from the main screen, so it might not help you. I didn't think of that before.

Last edited by banjobama; 01-01-2012 at 01:04 PM.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
Richard443
Member Retired
Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Look up N2A (Nook to Android). It allows you to dual boot and no rooting of the NC. When I read I boot up in NC. When I work I boot up N2A.
Richard443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Sassyinkpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
You could make a shelf called "Read" and move the read books onto it, if you don't want to root your Nook. This is similar to what I do with my Sony. I like to keep the books on the device but I have a collection called Read that I move them to once I'm finished reading them.

Edit: actually, this won't remove the books from the main screen, so it might not help you. I didn't think of that before.
This method works with my ebooks and even the epubs if I load them into that area, but it never did with the html files because they aren't accessed through the same interface (if I remember correctly), but it was also very futzy.

Now I'm running CM7 off an SD card and using Moon+ reader as my main reader - it allows me to move and sort files from within the app, as well as delete them, so I'm in pretty good shape now!