Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you miss text to speech?
Yes... 28 51.85%
Nope. 26 48.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #16
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Computer have, for a quite a while actually, have been able to read text. never used it on my computer and I dont see me using it on the Kindle. Well, I may use it just to listen to it once, but that is about it.
When I cant read (I get car sick too) I just will listen to music or do something else. I have never tried an audio book but my cousin swears by them. She gets them from the library, puts the on her iPod, and listens away while she cooks, cleans, knits...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:50 AM   #17
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
my partner and i need the text to speech option. i hope that future e readers have this option includeded in future models.

we love the option of being able to read ebooks on different formats as we have alot of books on sd card.
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Text to speech is far more wonderful than most people give it credit for, and the Kindle text to speech is among the best you can get right now. I seem to be in the minority, in that I greatly prefer the woman's voice (her name is Samantha, btw).

I am looking forward to more voices being made available. If you want a taste of what's in store, try the samples at www.nextup.com. Text to speech is not just good for when you're traveling, it's good for any time. It is superb for helping pull yourself past text that you have a hard time reading because, say, it's boring. It is excellent for a lot of special purposes, and the more choice of voices, the better it will be.

Many books that I have purchased allow text to speech, and all of the many I've gotten for free do.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I am looking forward to more voices being made available.
My Garmin Sat-Nav has dozens of voices to choose from. My favourite is the Swedish girl, "Ingrid" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #20
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Well, Harry, your Satnav probably has a limited vocab and so Ingrid is probably a real girl! The text-to-speech on the Kindle is also based on real people, but the vocabulary is NOT limited, so it's harder to have elegant voices. But I still say that the female Kindle voice, Samantha, is much better than the male voice.

I think that a lot of people who despise text-to-speech are mainly basing their opinions on memories of what text-to-speech used to sound like, or on FREE voices. These days, even the free voice that comes with my prerelease Windows 7 -- her name is Anna -- isn't that bad.

Here is what is great about text-to-speech produced by a computer: it gives you the thoughts of the author without the intervention of some actor. When you listen to a human reading, you are hearing a PERFORMANCE, an interpretation. You think the actor talked to Dickens before adopting a certain tone of voice? No, he didn't! He's just making it up. The computer makes no assumptions and just reads the material to you in the clearest way it can. It doesn't try to sell you on hearing the text the way it imagines it.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 02:35 AM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astromusic View Post
I think this "no more text to speech" is misleading, and not supported by Amazon's announcement. All they said was that they will give copyright holders a way to turn of TTS for selected titles, at their option.
Which is why I didn't cat a vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmagirl View Post
TTS is a wonderful thing to have when you are driving across country ... my husband and I put in a lot of miles between his family and mine (1500 miles between 'em!) and we are loving the TTS option. Audiobooks are really expensive ... this is a wonderful option for us.
I only tried the text-to-speech function once -- in my car. The A/C drowned out the tiny speakers. Perhaps if I used earplugs it would be a different story, but then I would probably (and deservedly) get pulled for reckless driving.

If I ever get a car system that allows me to plug into the radio, I may try it again. I have listened to audiobooks on my iPod that were broadcast through the car speakers. Of course, that involved books that were read by real people; not some computer-generated voice.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #22
PiVi1962
PiVi1962 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
TTS is a very important feature for non-native speakers of the language.
I hope Amazon will allow to install other voices (my mothertongue is Italian, and I am interested not only in English, but also in French and Spanish).

TTF is also very important for visually impared people.

In my opinion, any device that will support TTS will corner in the market devices not supporting it.
PiVi1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #23
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Just got my Kindle. I was shocked that the text-to-speech worked as well as it did and am enjoying reading along with the read word. i find I retain more and don't find myself daydreaming and mechanically reading.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote