Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
bob coxner
bob coxner began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to transfer documents via USB?

I want to be able to transfer personal documents/free books using xxxx@free.kindle.com but without using 3G or WiFi. In other words, transfer using USB only but via Amazon rather than drag and drop.

For a test, I went to Baen books and had them send a book to my Kindle address. It all went well and the book is waiting under "Delivery status for" on the Manage Your Kindle page, but it never goes beyond "pending" after I connect the USB cable. It does transfer if I turn on WiFi.

I've read the support page several times and most of it concerns 3G and WiFi transfers, which I can do ok. There are a couple of references to USB but they're vague, such as:

"To avoid a fee, or if you're not in wireless range, you can send an e-mail to "name"@free.kindle.com and download the files via USB in a Kindle compatible format to the device(s)."

I assumed the transfer would be automatic when I connected the USB cable but that doesn't seem to be correct. Am I missing a step or is it not possible to transfer from Amazon to Kindle via USB? I tried it with just a normal connection and then again with ejecting the Kindle (but leaving the USB attached). Neither one generated a transfer.

I'm sometimes in a location without WiFi but it does have internet access and I'd like to be able to transfer documents via Amazon and USB.

Thanks!

=============

Update: Amazon sent an email notifying me that files are waiting to be transferred. I read it more carefully this time and it does have a link to click that allows me to download the AZW file to my computer, where I can then drag and drop. It's not automatic but it's good enough for me.

This should be more clear on the support page.

If there is a way to have it done automatically, I'll be happy to hear it.

Last edited by bob coxner; 09-17-2010 at 03:31 PM.
bob coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
USB is for you to copy files on manually. There is nothing that runs on your computer to handle the syncing.

When you email files to be converted to @free.kindle.com, you should get an email with details on how to download your file for transfer via USB. It will automatically grab those files via WiFi as well if you don't manually transfer it.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert