Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
gandalfbp
gandalfbp began at the beginning.

CONNECT Reader software not installing on Windows Vista

Hi all,

I have from MSDN the new Windows Vista, and Ised the XMas break to install it on my machine. My first surprise came, when I was unable to install the CONNECT Reader on it. It went until "Registering product", than it rolled back all the installation.
Does anyone knows why is it so? Any workaroud?

Peter
gandalfbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Did you try installing it as administrator?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
The reader software is not Vista ready. It will not install.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Well it doesn't play well with Tablet PC's either and yet it appears to be written using .Net 2.0.

I thought .Net was supposed to make all this Windows stuff easy and backwards/forwards/sideways compatible?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
I thought .Net was supposed to make all this Windows stuff easy and backwards/forwards/sideways compatible?
Only if what it's trying to do is also compatible. I.e. the .net packaging works but that doesn't guarantee the code it contains will work in the OS. I don't know if it's possible to write something in .net that wouldn't be compatible with Vista (I'd think that not compatible with an earlier version would be more likely), but that doesn't mean it can't be done (I'm really, really new to .net, so salt liberally).

In this case, however, my private suspicion is that the install routine might be asking if the OS is WinXP, and if the answer isn't 'yes' it just takes its marbles and goes home.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I spoke with Sony support today on another issue and the tech said that there was a free CONNECT software patch scheduled for January that addresses VISTA (they know it won't install) and a "bunch of other problems." He did not and would not go into detail. He did say that there is not a firmware update that he knows about yet.

As for current installation in VISTA. I set up a virtual machine under VISTA and installed an old copy of WinXP home. It worked like a champ. (They allow 7 devices and I only have 1 reader, so far.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:09 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
I spoke with Sony support today on another issue and the tech said that there was a free CONNECT software patch scheduled for January that addresses VISTA (they know it won't install) and a "bunch of other problems." He did not and would not go into detail.
Excellent news, RWood! Thanks for the tidbit.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote