Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #31
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yup, that's the version I have. Do you happen to know if it's any different than what you had before?

As for Kobo tech support, I thought they responded in a reasonable time frame, directly addressed my issue, and provided an acceptable resolution.

I suspect a number of folks who have had problems have not installed the Kobo desktop app; registered at Kobo; obtained books from Kobo; installed the ADE app for adding non-Kobo files such as Overdrive library titles; and have instead dragged and dropped files onto the Kobo (and later deleted files) using Windows Explorer to directly manipulate the files on the reader. In this process, things have gone bump in the night which would not using Kobo's tools. So -- ok, fault the over-eager customer -- but Kobo's challenge is to acknowledge this is the reality of consumer behaviour and figure out customer friendly and business efficient ways to minimize the fall-out. One solution: a button to press which reformats the user space on the device with all the original files as shipped.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #32
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
I just want to share my Kobo Support experience. My Reader would not retain the date & time after being turned off or charged. So I contacted Kobo Support by email. They acknowledged the problem and said I should return it. This was on Friday. Monday I received from Purolator an empty box with all the packing, tape, labels necessary to send it back. Monday P.M. I dropped it off at Purolator. They said it would be delivered on Tuesday. Today is Wednesday. Purolator was just here and I have my NEW reader in hand!
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #33
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Replacement Kobo definitely not new

Finally fed up with the battery life issues, I returned my Kobo. They gave me another one with no problems at all.

But it's just as used as mine was (or maybe more so). They definitely didn't try to find a new box for it, nor did they even bother to reset it. It came with the former owner registered as the user, and even a couple of books she had put into it. (I'm guessing it's a she from the e-mail address!)

I wonder who will get mine? I wish I had reset it before handing it over to them.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #34
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
When Kobo told me I should exchange it, I specifically asked if I would be getting a new unit or a refurbished one...they told me it would be brand new. I definitely don't want to exchange it if I'm getting someone elses defective unit.

I received my box from Purolator yesterday but haven't boxed it up yet because I'm hoping the update at the end of the month will fix my battery issues. It's ridiculous they gave out old units.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #35
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I've just had my third try to get help.

I couldn't get books to show up when the Kobo was unplugged even when they show up when it's plugged into the computer.

Anyway the woman was incompetent she didn't even know the difference between epub and pdf until I told her. (also she's been pronouncing it epup to others)

She also wasn't aware of what Calibre is. Now if this was just a person I wouldn't have blinked. But since it's a very well known software and she's there to help I did expect her to have at least heard about it.

In the end I had to figure it out myself.

I don't have great confidence in their help and will just stick to the wonderful people here for advice.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #36
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

I see that somebody quoted my recent post on the Kobo Facebook page, where others have recounted similar stories. The more I thought about it the more ticked off I was that they'd send me a reader with somebody else's account information on it (even if it was just an e-mail address and a couple of purchased books). I mean, if they can't be bothered to reset it -- which takes all of 15 seconds -- why on earth would anybody imagine that it had passed any testing as "refurbished"?

I called the manager of the store where the exchange took place. He said that when they get a return it goes straight back to the mother ship. At the same time, it's clear that they're doing the exchanges from a specific supply, since the one they gave me could not have passed muster as new. Anyhow, they're going to give me a genuinely new one.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #37
baker
baker began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi, itouch 4th gen, Sony S tab
I had a positive experience Kobo support via phone today. I bought a book last night and despite just about pulling my hair out I couldn't get the font size to adjust. The print was too small to read. I would have uninstalled the book on the Kobo(coming with firmware) but that wasn't an option. She walked through a fix when I was on the phone which didn't work but on getting off the phone I followed the fix and it worked.
I think it would be helpful if Kobo had trouble shooting and solutions on their desk top. It's the first glitch of any consequence in nearly 6 weeks.
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #38
corona
Addict

I have to give my local Indigo store -- Marine Drive, North Vancouver -- their due. They gave me a new reader this time, once again in a prompt and really friendly way. They've really been great to deal with, all the way along.

Oh, and the manager said they can't keep the readers in stock. They're sold out pretty much immediately with every shipment.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #39
corona
Addict

Facebook!!

If anybody's wondering where the Kobo staff participants went, they seem to all be over at the Facebook party.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #40
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
If anybody's wondering where the Kobo staff participants went, they seem to all be over at the Facebook party.
Yeah, I'm kind of irked about this actually. With all the recent privacy bullshit going on over at Facebook I haven't logged into my account in a while. And I refuse to change that just so I can post on their 'wall'.
Same goes for their twitter....

Why can't they just host their own support forum like everyone else?!?
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #41
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Why can't they just host their own support forum like everyone else?!?
This trend of everything migrating to Facebook is worrying. I have noticed that increasingly instead of a website requiring new users to sign up using an email address, they require you to sign in using facebook (e.g. Scribd). I'm damned if I'm going to give a third party website permission to hook in to my Facebook account!
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #42
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Just email all questions and repost the email thread here?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote