Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Sony 900 Reader

Got owned over at Gizmodo

http://gizmodo.com/5484122/sony-read...wed-do-not-buy

cant say I disagree - The touch layer is a huge mistake by Sony
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I love the hardware design, build quality, and user interface of Sony's non-touch readers.

I don't like much else about them--the store or library software. Luckily, Calibre takes the place of their software very well.

Sony has made two huge blunders. They moved to ePub before most of their readers supported it correctly (no full justification), and no longer sell their own better-performing LRF/LRX format. Then they added touch support to their main line of readers but did it in a way that killed the contrast of their screens.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I get along with my 900 fine, and am reading a lot on it. This "review" is from someone who hasn't even seen a 900, saying that the screen is the same as the 600 (it's similar but not the same) and that he didn't like that screen.

Every piece of engineering is a compromise. Some people will get on with the 900, some not. For me, it works well - but when I can get equivalent functionality/quality with a markedly higher contrast, I will.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Gizmodo seems to have a HUGE bias against Sony for whatever reason. I would take that "review" with a huge grain of salt.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well, I don't think it's nearly as bad as that. Is the 505 or Kindle2 better contrast-wise and readability-wise. Yeah, but my 900 is fine as well (better than some paper books I've read) as long as the light is reasonable. The "glare" is not an issue.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I don't have the 900, but I own a 505 and 600. The 505 has a much better display than the 600 due to lack of touch. But still, the 600 does all the tricks I need and glare or contrast is no issue for me. It's been said 1000 times (maybe more) that there's no wrong or right here. It depends what you need and what you expect from your reader. In my case, the 600 is perfect. The 900 probably would be, too, but I cannot get one here in a store. It's only sold via internet which I don't like.

So everyone go out and get the reader he needs. Maybe it's a 600, maybe a 300, maybe an Irex or a kindle or.....
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Yawn
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Yeah, I know, yawn. It all repeats itself
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
How can they call it a "review" when he specifically states "...I don't have a review unit of my own to check out." He might as well have titled the article "I'm just going to make stuff up about this".

What a load of crap, I mean really, all he does is quote a review by someone else, take it as the truth, and make a recommendation based on it - unbelievable.

So much for visiting gizmodo again.... ever....
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I took it as that they're reporting that someone did put a review up, not that they were doing the review. Most of his complaint is related to the display, which is basically the same as in previous readers, so one could comment on that without actually using the latest one, because no real change has been made.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post

http://gizmodo.com/5484122/sony-read...wed-do-not-buy

cant say I disagree - The touch layer is a huge mistake by Sony
...but still a bad review. Doesn't differentiate between Sony 600 and Sony 900. Glare of Sony 900 still may be too much for some/many. But it's definitely way less than on Sony 600.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Gizmodo seems to have a HUGE bias against Sony for whatever reason. I would take that "review" with a huge grain of salt.
Gizmodo do have a bias against some technologies for sure. However in this case their criticism is warranted imo. Sony have rushed into touch to get some product differentiation to Kindles/Nooks despite the negative impacts on the reader. With the poor clarity and simple design the reader also looks dated aesthetically - it's 2010 folks.

I really don't think touch is essential on a dedicated reader. On a device like the iPad it's essential, it's doing games and doing hundreds of kinds of apps (which different UIs). But for simple reader functionality it's not worth losing screen clarity for.

I think Sony need to fire the guy in charge of the e-reader division and start afresh.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
... the reader also looks dated aesthetically - it's 2010 folks...
Oh really? And the Kindles? A case of the pot calling the kettle black.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
...the reader also looks dated aesthetically - it's 2010 folks.
Huh? Care to expand on that?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #15
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
Gizmodo HATE ereaders. It could be the next best thing since sliced bread and Gizmodo would pan it.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote