Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
nortstudio
nortstudio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Convert or redownload?

I have had a Sony PRS 300 for a short time. I have had no luck with the Reader software - not the old or the new. The thing has not sync'd since i first bought it. I got a Nook for xmas - and after trying once again to sync the Sony, I have decided to stick with the Nook.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to save my 3 books that i purchased from the Sony store? They are in LRX, and I know that the nook wont deal with that. Is there any way to redownload from their site as a file that is read by the Nook?

Thanks.
nortstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Assuming the books are available as epub, you should be able to re-download the books in the epub version. They should be readable by the Nook.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortstudio View Post
I have had a Sony PRS 300 for a short time. I have had no luck with the Reader software - not the old or the new. The thing has not sync'd since i first bought it. I got a Nook for xmas - and after trying once again to sync the Sony, I have decided to stick with the Nook.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to save my 3 books that i purchased from the Sony store? They are in LRX, and I know that the nook wont deal with that. Is there any way to redownload from their site as a file that is read by the Nook?

Thanks.

The nook will read Sony ePub files. See if the books that you bought are available as ePub files and then transfer them to your nook.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
MrKyle
Writer
MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Alternatively there's a service that I don't know if it's mentioned on this forum called

Lib2go: http://www.2epub.com/

It's an online app that'll let you upload one format (like your sony LRX file) and download it's EPUB equivalent.

Can you PM me please so I can hear about your experience with the Nook? It was a toss up between the Sony and Nook for me. Thanks.
MrKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyle View Post
Alternatively there's a service that I don't know if it's mentioned on this forum called

Lib2go: http://www.2epub.com/

It's an online app that'll let you upload one format (like your sony LRX file) and download it's EPUB equivalent.

Can you PM me please so I can hear about your experience with the Nook? It was a toss up between the Sony and Nook for me. Thanks.
Sony's BBeB format (.lrx) is 1 of the 2 DRMed formats (Amazon's TOPAZ .tpz being the other), which hasn't been "hacked" yet.
Meaning, you can't strip it from DRM, thus not being able to convert to any other format.
But Sony continuosly moves from .lrx to .epub.
I've already re-downloaded about 50 of my 400 .lrx files as .epub without any hassle.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 02:01 AM   #6
MrKyle
Writer
MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Sony's BBeB format (.lrx) is 1 of the 2 DRMed formats (Amazon's TOPAZ .tpz being the other), which hasn't been "hacked" yet.
Meaning, you can't strip it from DRM, thus not being able to convert to any other format.
But Sony continuosly moves from .lrx to .epub.
I've already re-downloaded about 50 of my 400 .lrx files as .epub without any hassle.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Do you think there is a _need_ for being able to separate the encryption from the books? I'm not suggesting anything illegal, but asking if there are in fact people who OWN books that are DRMed and just want to personally use them on a different device (not distribute). I wouldn't mind solving that if it is in fact a problem.
MrKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:30 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If you mean is there a need for LRX, I would say no as those are all being converted to epub. If you mean in general, I say yes and if you are asking are there people who do so because they really do own the books and just want to read them on a different device, than I say absolutely yes. I have bought several hundred secure eReader books over the years and Sony or Kindle or any of the big ones won't read them. So as far as I am concerned, it is perfectly fair to liberate them so they can be converted and read on the Sony. I don't share, I don't distribute, nothing like that. Just want to be able to read my 100% legally bought books on my 100% legally bought device.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
nortstudio

Thanks for all the help folks.

Does anyone know where I would find the type of file download in the Sony store? it's only a couple books - but they are all new (so I figured they would have the option), and since I paid already, not looking to have to repurchase them if possible. I looked for other download options from within the software - but admittedly was so frustrated by the software problems, I may have missed it.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Thanks for all the help folks.

Does anyone know where I would find the type of file download in the Sony store? it's only a couple books - but they are all new (so I figured they would have the option), and since I paid already, not looking to have to repurchase them if possible. I looked for other download options from within the software - but admittedly was so frustrated by the software problems, I may have missed it.
You can re-download any purchased books from the Reader Store. Sony is currently in the process of converting all of their propietary .lrx format to .ePub and you can now only download in .ePub format.

If you go to your account, there will be some mention somewhere about purchased books that you can re-download. Just check off the boxes of the books you have purchased. If the book was previously purchased in .lrx format and not yet converted to .ePub, it will tell you "available soon".
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
nortstudio

Thanks! You rock!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
nortstudio

Actually, when I go to the store - the books I have purchased make no mention of any format type - and the download button does not bring up an option window of any kind. Keeping with my luck with the software - the download (whichever format it decided I needed) failed. Perfect.

Any idea where that option is?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
azlkk
azlkk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
If you mean is there a need for LRX, I would say no as those are all being converted to epub. If you mean in general, I say yes and if you are asking are there people who do so because they really do own the books and just want to read them on a different device, than I say absolutely yes. I have bought several hundred secure eReader books over the years and Sony or Kindle or any of the big ones won't read them. So as far as I am concerned, it is perfectly fair to liberate them so they can be converted and read on the Sony. I don't share, I don't distribute, nothing like that. Just want to be able to read my 100% legally bought books on my 100% legally bought device.
+1

I used to be able to use Calibre as a work-around for the Sony program bugs, but now all I get when I try to use it with ePub files is a DRM message.
azlkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Actually, when I go to the store - the books I have purchased make no mention of any format type - and the download button does not bring up an option window of any kind. Keeping with my luck with the software - the download (whichever format it decided I needed) failed. Perfect.

You cannot select the format to download. You can only download in the epub format. I have no problem signing into my account, looking at my purchase history and downloading previously purchased ebooks.

How did the download fail. What error message did you get, if any,
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:

If the book has an option to download in ePub format, you will see the 'Download Now' button on the right side of the page. When you click 'Download Now' it will automatically begin to download the ePub version and you should see the spinning arrows next to status in the left hand pane. To verify that the book downloaded, click Libray in the left hand pane and look for the book you just downloaded. Under file type it should say 'EPUB document' if it downloaded correctly. If you still have the LRX version in your library you will see that as well but it will say 'BBeB Book'.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
nortstudio

I forget what the error message said - but I just tried again and it worked great. Downloaded the books in epub format like i needed for the Nook.

Thanks so much!