Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
Diesel eBooks Browser Search Plugin

Just threw this together for those who'd like to search from the search bar in Firefox or IE7+:

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-eng...sel-ebooks.com
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Again, many thanks for this!

Since you seem to be so good at this, any chance you might be able to cobble one together for the WHSmith ebook store? I've found that even after currency conversion fees, they seem to have some of the best prices on epubs. Someone else has already made a search plugin for the regular WHSmith site, but the ebookstore seems to be handled as a separate entity. Thanks again even if you can't do it.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

That one's trickier, as their search system uses POST instead of GET. I tried looking at the page source and getting the POST Parameters to work, but so far no luck. Also, FYI, Internet Explorer doesn't support search plugins that use POST. So even if I can get this working, it won't work for users with Internet Explorer.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

No worries at all if it can't be done fairly easily. Thanks for trying!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
For Firefox, the Add to Search Bar extension can add the search from any site to the search bar. I've found it quite useful.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
For Firefox, the Add to Search Bar extension can add the search from any site to the search bar. I've found it quite useful.
Very nice! Thank you very much for that.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Zero9
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
That's a nifty extension. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Zero9
Zealot

I used the plugin bwaldron linked to to see what I was doing wrong. I then made a search plug-in with an icon and posted it here for anybody interested:

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-eng....whsmith.co.uk

Thanks again, bwaldron.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
Zero9
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Again, many thanks for this!

Since you seem to be so good at this, any chance you might be able to cobble one together for the WHSmith ebook store? I've found that even after currency conversion fees, they seem to have some of the best prices on epubs. Someone else has already made a search plugin for the regular WHSmith site, but the ebookstore seems to be handled as a separate entity. Thanks again even if you can't do it.
Not only are the ePubs I'm looking at on WHSmith CHEAPER than American versions (before conversion fees anyway), they're actually ePubs. One book I planned to to buy today I couldn't find in ePub format at any US store, just Adobe Secure PDF (and the others like Mobi and eReader). But these UK stores have the ePub that I want.

So is there any catch to buying from WHSmith if I'm American?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero9 View Post
Not only are the ePubs I'm looking at on WHSmith CHEAPER than American versions (before conversion fees anyway), they're actually ePubs. One book I planned to to buy today I couldn't find in ePub format at any US store, just Adobe Secure PDF (and the others like Mobi and eReader). But these UK stores have the ePub that I want.

So is there any catch to buying from WHSmith if I'm American?
None that I know of. I bought several books from them earlier in the month, and I have another pile that I'm going to buy soon. If you use a Visa card, they have a site that gives you the current exchange rate (it seems most banks have a 3% fee). Also, from the books I did buy, it appears that the publisher actually handles the conversion (instead of the reseller), so the books are very clean and well formatted.

Another site to look at is Waterstones (just add 'ebook' in your search string). I haven't ordered from them yet (mostly because WHSmith has slightly better prices), but they stock some books that other sites don't. I've seen mention from other posters here that they've bought from them with no problems, too.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
Zero9
Zealot

Thanks for all the info!