Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bripam View Post
[rant]
What I don't get is why I need to remove the DRM to use the file that I purchased ... doesn't that remove any potential benefit from the DRMing and just make the end user irritated? How can this go on so long and not get fixed ... I've been trying to get a dictionary for months and I have no alternative other than to mess with the file in order to get it on my hardware. That sucks.
[/rant]
It was your choice to buy that hardware in the first place. If using MobiPocket dictionaries is important to you, why didn't you purchase a device which could use them directly? With respect, it seems a little unreasonable to blame the device manufacturer for a choice that you made.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I am not sure of the legality of the mobidedrm, but if the sample works as a dictionary, then after removing the DRM, it will still work as a dictionary.

[rant]
What I don't get is why I need to remove the DRM to use the file that I purchased ... doesn't that remove any potential benefit from the DRMing and just make the end user irritated? How can this go on so long and not get fixed ... I've been trying to get a dictionary for months and I have no alternative other than to mess with the file in order to get it on my hardware. That sucks.
[/rant]
There is no potential benefit to DRM. Can you name me one? You did decide to purchase a Kindle and if you now find that you cannget get a dictionary for it that you want, who have you to blame but yourself? If you had purchased a device that used Mobipocket dictionaries directly, you would not have these problems. No need to rant about a problem that you did cause for yourself.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
What I don't get is why I need to remove the DRM to use the file that I purchased ... doesn't that remove any potential benefit from the DRMing and just make the end user irritated?
It is a strategy Amazon has adopted of locking down all Kindle ebooks just to the Kindle, even though DRMed MOBI ebooks would work perfectly well on the Kindle if Amazon let them. DRM is for the convenience of the publisher, or in this case of the device maker, not the consumer. One way this backfires is that it forces readers to either strip the DRM, or buy an ebook twice or, as in this case, forgo a needed capability.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is a strategy Amazon has adopted of locking down all Kindle ebooks just to the Kindle, even though DRMed MOBI ebooks would work perfectly well on the Kindle if Amazon let them. DRM is for the convenience of the publisher, or in this case of the device maker, not the consumer. One way this backfires is that it forces readers to either strip the DRM, or buy an ebook twice or, as in this case, forgo a needed capability.
That's why it's important to do your research properly before you buy. If buying MobiPocket books is important to you, it doesn't really make a great deal of sense to buy a Kindle.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to agree 100% with Harry. Unless of course you can remove the DRM, then it is OK to buy a Kindle for Mobipocket eBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #21
stark23x
stark23x is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's why it's important to do your research properly before you buy. If buying MobiPocket books is important to you, it doesn't really make a great deal of sense to buy a Kindle.
The wierdness of anyone who doesn't get paid to do so defending DRM aside, Amazon owns Mobipocket. The simple fact is secure Mobi not working on the Kindle without hacking is just stupid. They could literally own the entire ebook space if they simply allowed sales from other stores to work via secure Mobi.

We should complain, loudly and often, until they change their policy. It will helps us as consumers and put money in Amazon's pockets.
stark23x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:27 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark23x View Post
The wierdness of anyone who doesn't get paid to do so defending DRM aside, Amazon owns Mobipocket. The simple fact is secure Mobi not working on the Kindle without hacking is just stupid. They could literally own the entire ebook space if they simply allowed sales from other stores to work via secure Mobi.
I'm certainly not "defending" DRM. Just saying that it does no good to complain about something that you knew to be the case at the time that you bought your Kindle. There are several devices other than the Kindle that you could have bought had buying Mobi books been a high priority for you.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #23
jamckenna
jamckenna began at the beginning.

Harry, you miss the point. I may prefer a Kindle for many reasons, but it's still perfectly legitimate to complain to Amazon about not providing a fr-eng dictionary, either on their own or through mobipocket. To paraphrase Chesterton, you may love your mother drunk or sober, but you still want her sober.
jamckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Certainly you can complain. I'm afraid I just feel that you're highly unlikely to achieve anything by doing so .
Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to agree 100% with Harry. Unless of course you can remove the DRM, then it is OK to buy a Kindle for Mobipocket eBooks.
Actually it depends on where you buy the Mobipocket formatted eBooks. Igor's fix allows DRM books to work on the Kindle if they are purchased from a site that will let you register your Kindle. The Mobipocket site will not let you register your Kindle but several other sites will. Libraries will also allow registering your Kindle to check out Mobipocket eBooks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #26
bripam
bripam began at the beginning.

It is surprising that Amazon is not selling dictionaries formatted for the kindle (they do sell fr-eng dictionaries, but those files can't be used with the "lookup" feature). There certainly is a demand for it ... when I contacted kindle support they said that something would be available soon (that was a couple of months ago).

As users get books from other sources they will get less from Amazon. Feedbooks.com has a catalog which works very well with the kindle over sprint's 3G network (and the books are free).
bripam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #27
suze2000
suze2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (Intl)
What annoys me about this whole thing is that

a) Amazon advertises that K2 is mobi-compatible.

b) test books from Mobipocket work fine.

c) it's only after buying a whole book that you find out that you can't open it because of the stupid DRM.

What really bugs me about it is that people will get books for free if they want to. DRM will not stop the exchange of books. It's the same as the stupid region restrictions. If I can't buy the book because I'm not in the US, you pretty much force me to find it "by other means". How does this help anyone make a profit?
suze2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #28
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by suze2000 View Post
What annoys me about this whole thing is that

a) Amazon advertises that K2 is mobi-compatible.

b) test books from Mobipocket work fine.

c) it's only after buying a whole book that you find out that you can't open it because of the stupid DRM.

What really bugs me about it is that people will get books for free if they want to. DRM will not stop the exchange of books. It's the same as the stupid region restrictions. If I can't buy the book because I'm not in the US, you pretty much force me to find it "by other means". How does this help anyone make a profit?
Classic example of an idea that sounds good in theory for the corporate folk, but fails miserably to account for the actual customers.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote