Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #61
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
To me, the screen looks, without the lighting, about the same as all of the other eink screens.
Yes - the higher contrast claimed is solely because of the lighting. The higher resolution - around 210 ppi - is also on the Mini. The latest version of the e-ink Pearl screen in each case.

Last edited by EldRick; 09-11-2012 at 02:04 AM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #62
bryanzs
Zealot
bryanzs doesn't litterbryanzs doesn't litter

Device: Nook HD+, Nook ST Glow, PocketBook 360, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post
I'll need to test that out but I highly doubt that only running standby will increase battery life due to the 24hrs/day standby drain and reading vs powering up a few times a day and reading.

There's probably a limit where powering it up from off will tip the balances in favor of sleep but it's probably a large number of boots.
I'm curious - how long does it take to boot up from sleep? I'm thinking of ordering the Glo, but it would be my first Kobo reader (I currently have a pocketbook 360 and a Nook tablet). If I was constantly turning it off and on, but turning it on took a minute or more before I could begin reading, I think that would get annoying...

Thanks!
bryanzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #63
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Random, maybe - but I'd like to know if other fonts can be downloaded to the Mini, or to the Glo (like they can with the Touch). I like my Delima font, but from looking at the demo and promo videos, I don't see it listed on the new models.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #64
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzs View Post
I'm curious - how long does it take to boot up from sleep? I'm thinking of ordering the Glo, but it would be my first Kobo reader (I currently have a pocketbook 360 and a Nook tablet). If I was constantly turning it off and on, but turning it on took a minute or more before I could begin reading, I think that would get annoying...
My Touch unsleeps in a second, perhaps less.

Quote:
Random, maybe - but I'd like to know if other fonts can be downloaded to the Mini, or to the Glo (like they can with the Touch). I like my Delima font, but from looking at the demo and promo videos, I don't see it listed on the new models.
beautifulsoup: Sameer has confirmed here that the Glo will allow sideloaded fonts, but that they won't be able to take advantage of TypeGenius.

Last edited by meeera; 09-10-2012 at 10:52 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #65
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
I'll double check this for you, but I'm 80% certain that this is the case since it is not the flexible display. The 'no glass, no glare' in the marketing material refers to the lack of a capacitive touch-screen layer which some manufacturers have used, and can sometimes come with a reflective finish which can be quite annoying to read on. We use IR touch which does not require any glass on top of the display.
Those were resistive touch not capacitive. Capacitive touch is done with a chemical 'paint' and doesn't effect screen clarity.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #66
bryanzs
Zealot
bryanzs doesn't litterbryanzs doesn't litter

Device: Nook HD+, Nook ST Glow, PocketBook 360, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
My Touch unsleeps in a second, perhaps less.
D'oh!! Sorry, I mis-spoke (mis-typed?). I meant to ask how long it takes to start up from a power off, not a sleep (where it's just "resting" but is really ready to go at a touch).

Thanks!
bryanzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #67
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Those were resistive touch not capacitive. Capacitive touch is done with a chemical 'paint' and doesn't effect screen clarity.
Is he perhaps referring to the way many modern capacitance based touchscreens use a glass outer layer as the surface? I'm pretty sure the optical effects he's referring to are the glare reflected from glass-based touchscreens like those used in most modern devices.

Certainly, the IR doesn't need a special surface, but you do lose multitouch. Not that the Kobo Touch or Kindle Touch needed it. Dunno how the Paperwhite will handle that.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #68
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Yes - the higher contrast claimed is solely because of the lighting. The higher resolution - around 210 ppi - is also on the Mini. The latest version of the e-ink Pearl screen in each case.
The PPI count on the smaller model in itself isn't new, most older 5" readers I'm aware of have the same resolution (and thus also the higher PPI).
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #69
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Certainly, the IR doesn't need a special surface, but you do lose multitouch. Not that the Kobo Touch or Kindle Touch needed it. Dunno how the Paperwhite will handle that.
Actually, the IR the Kobo Glo has does support multitouch. However, the Kobo Glo firmware doesn't...

SameerH's post confirming the IR type (neonode): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...43#post2216643

The neonode IR confirming Kobo uses it (1st paragraph) and confirming multi-touch (2nd paragraph): http://www.neonode.com/zforce®-neono...-rave-reviews/
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #70
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Actually, the IR the Kobo Glo has does support multitouch. However, the Kobo Glo firmware doesn't...

SameerH's post confirming the IR type (neonode): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...43#post2216643

The neonode IR confirming Kobo uses it (1st paragraph) and confirming multi-touch (2nd paragraph): http://www.neonode.com/zforce®-neono...-rave-reviews/
I knew it used the Neonode, but not that the lack of multitouch was a limitation of the Kobo firmware.

I do find it curious how they emphasize the lack of 'glass' for the touchscreen (so as to compare it to a tablet or smartphone), without addressing the fragility of the glass-based eInk products, which this appears to be. Unless we can get a clear confirmation they're not using the glass substrate.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #71
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I knew it used the Neonode, but not that the lack of multitouch was a limitation of the Kobo firmware.

I do find it curious how they emphasize the lack of 'glass' for the touchscreen (so as to compare it to a tablet or smartphone), without addressing the fragility of the glass-based eInk products, which this appears to be. Unless we can get a clear confirmation they're not using the glass substrate.
If I recall correctly, Sameer said in another thread that they are using a glass substrate screen. The "no glass" thing refers to the lack of a glass touch/light layer on top of the screen (which can cause readability problems).
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #72
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
I'm torn. I can't wait for a side by side review and since I'm out here on the edge of the world, you guys in Canada and the US will likely be posting those reviews long before either the Paperwhite or Glo get out here.
At present, the Paperwhite only has a U.S. launch date (as opposed to a North American launch, meaning Canada is not included at this time). Their previous e-ink model (Kindle Touch) was released internationally the following year after the U.S. launch. So for most countries, the only front-lit model on the market from one of the major players in 2012 looks to be the Kobo Glo.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #73
vitor.fernandes
vitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughing

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
Lunchtray, on a sidenote, If you don't mind me asking, why do you turn it off and on? Doesn't kobo touch have a stand-by mode which should drain no battery?(unless indexing some new book).
Hello guys, I am shocked nobody here seems to know how e-ink works, it doesnt work like LCD so, it uses battery not per minute or per month, but per page, it only takes battery when you change pages, and the content stays on the screen like real ink stays on paper. Saying it lasts a month or 2 is relative, depends on how fast you read.

With this information, of course it is best to leave it in standby, even if you only get back to it a few days later, it still takes less battery than rebooting the device.
vitor.fernandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #74
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitor.fernandes View Post
Hello guys, I am shocked nobody here seems to know how e-ink works, it doesnt work like LCD so, it uses battery not per minute or per month, but per page, it only takes battery when you change pages, and the content stays on the screen like real ink stays on paper. Saying it lasts a month or 2 is relative, depends on how fast you read.

With this information, of course it is best to leave it in standby, even if you only get back to it a few days later, it still takes less battery than rebooting the device.
I heard of that, but you do realize that the eink screen, which of course only uses battery when changing state/page, is not the only component of an ebook reader?

Although on the same note, amazon folks have been telling the same story since their earliest models: kindle standby would not drain the battery in the least (customer service replies to people asking if they should power off or not). I don't know whether that's not true or if kobo works differently, but we now know for sure that at least in older models, there was a significant battery drainage during standby mode, with kobo. Maybe in later models they've put in bigger batteries which can stand standby for much longer periods than before, thus eliminating any need to power off. I also know that I have a kindle4 and never power it off. Battery lasts just fine for weeks of intense use, not sure why.

Last edited by sombreastre; 09-12-2012 at 12:06 PM.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #75
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitor.fernandes View Post

I know for a fact that my KT battery life is much longer with it's set to 15mins sleep, 30mins turnoff as opposed to keeping it in sleep mode only. My K2 (wifi) was the same way, the battery life was much shorter when I only put it in sleep mode rather than turning if off, say when I go to bed.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote