Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Mad for Dickens?

So there is a nice article in the latest issue of Smithsonian Magazine: Going Mad for Charles Dickens

This makes me want to have another read of David Copperfield after many years. Miss Trotwood taking no nonsense from the Murdstone's. Mr. Micawber's shinning moment during the exposure and denouncement of Uriah Heep. . . . Every time I think I am getting a handle on my TBR list it just starts growing again.

Since this is a forum for ebook enthusiasts this quote from the Smithsonian article is right on point:

Quote:
In December 2010, when Oprah Winfrey’s monthly book club selected A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations, publishers rushed 750,000 copies of a combined edition into print. (Sales were disappointing, however, in part because Dickens fans now can download the novels on e-readers free.)
It is worth mentioning that thanks to HarryT there are fine versions of all of Dickens' books available for download from the MR Library.

Oh, and mark the date of February 7 on your calenders, that's Dickens' 200th birthday.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Sadly, except for "The Christmas Carol", I've not read any Dicken's books. Maybe it's time to start.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Dickens is wonderful.

For the best formatted Dickens anywhere (in my opinion), try the titles available from MobileRead, assembled and formatted by Harry.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Thanks for the link! I do love me some Dickens. I think "Our Mutual Friend" is one of my favorites.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My favorite Dickens and what I think is his masterpiece is Great Expectations. That said, give me Trollope any day.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My favorite Dickens and what I think is his masterpiece is Great Expectations. That said, give me Trollope any day.
Oh, I love Trollope too! He has a bit more of a contemporary feel, with more of a psychological angle than Dickens. The Palliser novels are so wonderful!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
BBC Radio 4 Extra is currently airing a 3-part dramatized production of Barnaby Rudge. Broadcast info is available here. This novel is public domain, so free downloads of the ebook are readily available. Recommend the MobileRead versions edited by HarryT.

Quote:
Barnaby Rudge: A Tale of the Riots of Eighty (commonly known as Barnaby Rudge) is a historical novel by British novelist Charles Dickens. Barnaby Rudge was one of two novels (the other was The Old Curiosity Shop) that Dickens published in his short-lived (1840–1841) weekly serial Master Humphrey's Clock. Barnaby Rudge is set during the Gordon Riots of 1780.

Barnaby Rudge was the fifth of Dickens' novels to be published. It had originally been planned to appear as his first, but changes of publisher led to many delays, and it first appeared in serial form in the Clock from February to November 1841.

It was Dickens' first attempt at a historical novel (his only other being the much later A Tale of Two Cities, also set in revolutionary times). It is one of his less esteemed novels and has rarely been adapted for film or television (the last attempt was a 1960 BBC production; prior to that, a silent film was made in 1915).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Here are a few links for Charles Dickens:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

^^ Thanks for the information on the production of Barnaby Rudge! From your quote:

“It is one of his less esteemed novels and has rarely been adapted for film or television “

I actually liked that novel a good deal. My favorite is still David Copperfield, and a few others would be ahead of Barnaby Rudge, but in my book it still rates some esteem. But then I am a real fan of historical novels about real historical events, especially less well known history. I would love to see a good film production, or perhaps better a film record of a live theater production. Something like the great production by the Royal Shakespeare Company that I have on DVDs.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I like it a lot, too, Hamlet. I think it's greatly underrated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
Oh, I love Trollope too! He has a bit more of a contemporary feel, with more of a psychological angle than Dickens. The Palliser novels are so wonderful!
So another oversight in my reading experience. Strange that I can't recall Trollope being even mentioned in all my years of education. What looks to be a complete set of his works is available here at MR. So can Issybird, JaneD, or anyone suggest a good first Trollope novel. Ideally not overly long. I downloaded the Palliser omnibus that HarryT provided, but even the first novel in that series (Can You Forgive Her?) is over 900 pages. Not ready to tackle a book of that length at the moment.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So another oversight in my reading experience. Strange that I can't recall Trollope being even mentioned in all my years of education. What looks to be a complete set of his works is available here at MR. So can Issybird, JaneD, or anyone suggest a good first Trollope novel. Ideally not overly long. I downloaded the Palliser omnibus that HarryT provided, but even the first novel in that series (Can You Forgive Her?) is over 900 pages. Not ready to tackle a book of that length at the moment.
I'd suggest trying the Barsetshire series first - The Warden or Barchester Towers are fairly short (if I remember arightly) - and quite readable.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'd suggest trying the Barsetshire series first - The Warden or Barchester Towers are fairly short (if I remember arightly) - and quite readable.
Yes, the first book in the "Chronicles of Barsetshire" (my other Trollope omnibus) is "The Warden". It's very short, and a great story.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've started Oliver Twist yesterday, after having it on my "To read"-list for... Like forever, along with other Dickens stuff. It's a good read. I never thought I would be so happy with the Kindle dictionary. I never had the need to find a word ever before, but this is (finally) my first venture into the before-1900 classics. (Except for some stuff taught at school, many years ago, such as Chaucer.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
JaneD
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Most of my favorites are really, really long. Personally I think "He Knew He Was Right" is his best (of the stand-alones), but again, it's a big ol' book.

I've heard good things about "Dr. Wortle's School," though I've never read it. It's quite a bit shorter, almost a novella, and would give you a taste of his writing.

His most well-regarded works are definitely the Barsetshire series and the Palliser novels. I adore the Palliser novels, as I mentioned. Each one is a diamond. I believe "The Warden" is the first of the Barsetshire series and isn't quite as long as some of his other works. Might be a good place to start.