Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Wanna watch a movie?.....go class 6 or10!

Well..I decided to try out a feature movie and downloaded onto my Kingston 8GB microSD card (class 4).

I used VLC to play the movie and although the soundtrack played no problem, the video was chinked and scattered. I then went online to find out what could be the matter...and in that due diligence, was shown that class 4 (the most common) is below spec's for video. You need a class 6, or better yet, a class 10 for read/write speeds.

So...another Ho,Ho,Ho trip to the store for a 32 GB (yeah...I'll load it up with vids and music, lol) class 10.

For books, pictures, and music though, the most common class 4 rated card is just fine. It's only read speed for videos that needs the faster class cards. That was my experience,...
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
I had the same problem with a Class 4 Kingston 8gb micro SD card. But it's VLC that's the problem. With Mobo Player, I have no issues with watching videos from that same card.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbrich View Post
I had the same problem with a Class 4 Kingston 8gb micro SD card. But it's VLC that's the problem. With Mobo Player, I have no issues with watching videos from that same card.
I have movies on my Kingston 8GB card, and my movies play flawlessly on my Vox with Gallery. I am not touching a thing!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Remember that the 'internal' card is just class 4. Videos work fine on my class 4 32GB card.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Depends on the quality of the video, and the quality of the SD and it's age and and and... new 32gb class 6 will be fun anyway.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Really? Thanks...before I go out, I'll check that out. I was watching...well, trying to watch P.O.T.Carib. Was a no go with VLC.

BTW, I'm sitting here reading ANAND Tech's download feed put together as a magazine by Calibre. I'm also listening to the Gypsy Kings, played by the Vox through Bose on-ear headphones...and the present reading/listening environment is simply fantastic! Simply fantastic! The Bose are bringing the music to life with such well balanced bass to the mid, and high range. This is being rendered of course by the Vox. Wonderful! With the right headphones, the Vox is more than a competent music delivery system. I'm also doing all this with the Vox plugged into the wall. Why waste the battery? No problems whatsoever with it plugged in and running/doing.

Naysayers can spout what they will about the Kobo Vox. For myself, it has been nothing less then fantastic from the day of purchase. Great reading and sonic experience, as well as a most beautiful display. As another poster on this forum stated...perhaps Kobo put less money on the GHz side of things with the Proc...but opted to give you an excellent display. To me...for reading books and magazines...indoors or out...this is where the eyes-meet-the-road.

In buying the Vox, there are no regrets. Absolutely no regrets, and much personal satisfaction generated. It took me (like everybody else) a little time to find the apps I wanted,...to set up the parameters as I wanted, but with that little time invested...the payout in all-round entertainment has been huge. I wish my investments gave such good equity. Not!

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-02-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I have movies on my Kingston 8GB card, and my movies play flawlessly on my Vox with Gallery. I am not touching a thing!!!
-------------------------------

"Hmmm....well, I'll have to try another movie vid, and see if that makes a difference like you and others are stating. I thought that my class 4 wasn't up to speed. You have got to love this forum. I sure do!

Thanks to you and all others that posted their replies. They all help to come to a solution. Thanks again, all!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
-------------------------------

"Hmmm....well, I'll have to try another movie vid, and see if that makes a difference like you and others are stating. I thought that my class 4 wasn't up to speed. You have got to love this forum. I sure do!

Thanks to you and all others that posted their replies. They all help to come to a solution. Thanks again, all!
The class speed is the minimum guaranteed write speed. Read speeds are usually higher, actually significantly higher. For your average movie, a class 4 should be plenty fast - that's 4MB/s, so if you were to encode a 2 hours movie at 4MB/s, it would actually require ~29GB of space. As you can see, your movies are not encoded at that high bit rate.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
I now have Mobo Player, and it works great. A very slight stutter at Class 4. Class 6 would probably be the movie and video sweet spot for the extCard.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-02-2011 at 10:22 PM.