Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #16
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Wow, nice find there, cjschmidt! The links don't seem to go anywhere yet, but I note there are 613 of them. Looks like Amazon is going for an integrated selling approach, rather than just leaning on Mobipocket's site.
613 "search results", but the "Kindle Book/Kindle Editions" run out pretty much half way down page 2. (Only 17 items at time of writing).

After that, its matching on some other method.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #17
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Has anyone ever heard of any of these "Kindle Edition" authors? Most of the books don't seem to be available in other formats, and those that do seem to be very small press, often out of print. Just wondering....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjschmidt View Post
Check this out
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...dition&x=0&y=0

Results for "Kindle Edition".
Lots of titles priced at $4.79

"Auto-delivered wirelessly to Kindle" in the shipping info.

Maybe we won't have to wait until the 15th after all?

Maybe I shouldn't have bought the new Sony Reader yesterday...
I noticed that $4.79 price on books where they were selling the paper version for $10. Now that seems like a way more attractive way to price ebooks.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #19
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Has anyone ever heard of any of these "Kindle Edition" authors? Most of the books don't seem to be available in other formats, and those that do seem to be very small press, often out of print. Just wondering....
Those may well be the results of authors/publishers responding to the "Let us tell you how to make an e-book edition" links.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #20
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
Let's hope they don't introduce yet another DRM format.
Nah, they use the trusted and secure mobipocket DRM, ehhrmmm,

Quote:
'just a link for the mobi format'
Why do I immediately think about the availability of the aenea.mobi domain? Strange...

Aenea
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #21
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I noticed that $4.79 price on books where they were selling the paper version for $10. Now that seems like a way more attractive way to price ebooks.
Discount of $5.21. Okay. Not bad.

My first Sony purchase for my new PRS-505 will most likely be Alan Alda's memoirs. $13.95 in Borders, $7.96 on Connect. Discount of $5.99. I win!!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #22
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
For days I've searched Amazon for Kindle and keep finding that bloody lamp. Hey, wait a minute. Maybe that's the new ebook reader! Maybe that thing that looks like a lamp shade is really a lightweight, large screen, backlit display!! And it's fully powered!!! Not very portable, though. Kinda big, actually. Sigh. Never mind.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Jon! Are you dissing my iPhone that I am completely having a love affair with, having tossed the Sony Reader to the side like a used tissue?

I should also have added a front light. A front light. Sigh. That's the stuff dreams are made of.
I'm dissin ALL iPhones. Apple is becoming a bad idea for a company.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:23 AM   #24
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Told you, what a great month.

Let's hope they don't introduce yet another DRM format.

It wouldn't make much sense. I think their use of '"Kindle Edition" comes more from marketing and not from a technical difference. They probably want to offer a unified platform which makes things easier for the consumer.
They have a problem with selling MobiPocket editions through Amazon that no one seems to have considered, though. MobiPocket, the company, has a dealer network through which they wholesale their distributor catalog. MobiPocket, the Web store, avoids competing with the dealer network on price. If Amazon sells MobiPocket books directly to consumers, they will be competing with their own dealer network. That leaves a few choices:

1. Sell MobiPocket books directly at Amazon-like pricing and kiss the dealers goodbye.

2. Alter the format so that they can contractually say they're not competing and make it a Kindle-only proposition.

3. Shift the MobiPocket deals with the publishers into Amazon/Kindle contracts and kill off MobiPocket, absorb MobiPocket's assets, and try to walk away with the whole shebang.

4. Sell MobiPocket format books but only deliver directly to Kindle units (thus, not competing with the dealer network)
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:59 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Worst case scenario?

Amazon will launch a reader with that crappy design and a new and exclusive DRM format. In that case they better have the entire amazon catalog available in "Kindle Edition"....
Realistically, Amazon are the only company around with the "clout" to exert sufficient pressure on publishers to make exactly that happen. Let's hope they go with MobiPocket format (it would seem crazy to do otherwise, since they own MP). Could be a VERY exciting step forward for eBooks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #26
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Um I'm sorry to be a party pooper, but all these search finds have picked up is references to 'kindle' and/or 'edition' in the blurb or wherever. There is not one reference to a 'kindle edition'.

I'd really like to be able to buy direct from Amazon rather than mobipocket but right now you can't.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #27
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@andym

They had "Kindle Editions'" listed yesterday but pulled them today.

They'll surely be back once the Kindle has become official news...^^
I'm not sure why the "Kindle Edition" titles were there yesterday, but I guess it was either a mistake (unlikely) or a "probe" to see whehter people notice and how they react.
The links were dead yesterday, but that's to be expected since you are supposed to get these titles delivered to your Kindle via wireless and since there is no Kindle yet...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #28
anotherchance
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
The links were dead yesterday, but that's to be expected since you are supposed to get these titles delivered to your Kindle via wireless and since there is no Kindle yet...
Something bothers me about the whole "delivered wirelessly" thing. As someone calculated in another thread, at his current rate of 1 book every 1.5 or 2 weeks, he's only got another ~875 books to read in his life and "he has to make choices". Considering the unproven lifespan of these ebook devices (5 years reasonable?), he'd only need to load about 130-170 books onto the device in that time. Is it really worth it to have wireless connection just for that, when a quick USB synch would accomplish the same thing?

I dunno, it's vaporware anyway at this point, so it's open to interpretation, but it does seem a bit of a waste of effort to me. If the Kindle is going to be a wireless device, it MUST have a wider use than just ebooks (such as Internet browsing), and last thing I would need is another wireless bill every month... (especially when I get free internet on my work Blackberry anyway).
Old 10-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #29
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I hope they'll make it WiFi and optional...I never bother with WiFi for the Iliad because I just plug it into the router for updates and transfer things by cable from my computer (I don't do it that often after all) or directly by cardreader to the SD card...

We should know more soon, but I think a lot of things could go wrong with the Kindle and we'll just have to wait and see whether they do or not...

Having the OPTION of buying things directly from inside the Kindle would be cool however...since it would mean prople who don't own o use a computer could also be brought on board, but here in Germany Wifi hotspots that are few and far between and the one that are available are very expensive...and having some kind of "mobile-phone-network" thingy going on does not sound like a very good idea to me either because it's sure to cost more money...and I for one am not made of money...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #30
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

My thought is that they've worked out some kind of deal with one of the big cell companies so they get a piece of each book/newspaper downloaded over their tower. I really can't see people buying a $400 reader and paying a monthly fee just for the opportunity to pay more money for a electronic version of a book that may or may not be as good as the dead-tree kind. Amazon is way too smart to try that - it just won't work.
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote