Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #16996
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just started Flowers for algernon today. Great book so far.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #16997
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I've begun to read The Glorious Cause by Robert Middlekauff. It is a history of the American Revolutionary War. I have actually tried to read this before in paperback but the e-version is less of a hassle to carry around.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #16998
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Nice. I enjoyed that.

I started Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and am enjoying that too.

I'm looking forward to Player One: What is to Become of Us? by Douglas Coupland and Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #16999
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Another excellent book in the Honor Harrington series. I will continue the series soon, but first I have a library book to read. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz was recommended in this thread and in at least one other recently, so I thought I would give it a try. It certainly is interesting although it is taking a little time to get used to the perspective.
That was good. Very quick though. Almost as fast of a read as James Patterson - I wonder if that is part of the reason they (some very popular authors) are so popular? Fairly good sized books that don't take much time to read and keep you interested throughout. If they took a little longer to read without being less engaging, would they be as popular?

I am going to read The End - Visions of Apocalypse edited by N.E. White. I read the Hugh Howey short from this earlier this year and thought I should finish it now.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #17000
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Just finished Harbinger by David Mack. The first in the original Star Trek's Vanguard series.This book is mostly background info and character introduction. There's not much action but it does have enough mystery and intrigue to set the reader up for the next in the series. Several minor plot lines that involve interpersonal relationships add to the sci-fi theme. I believe there is eight titles in this series. I purchased the second with a 75% Kobo code but will read something else first. Grade C- [2 stars].

Last edited by Fbone; 06-28-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:38 AM   #17001
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm looking forward to [...] Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.
One of my favourite discworld novels. I hope you like it too.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #17002
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm reading The King’s Name by Jo Walton. The second in her first trilogy of fantasy stories set in a not-Arthurian, not-Britain.
An excellent continuation of the story in an alternate 'Arthurian' 'Britain'. I'll save the third for another day.

I should note that both books have ended at logical places in the story, not at a cliff-hanger. A very good way to do a trilogy, not just one story split into three books.

Next up: Transvergence by Charles Sheffield. The second omnibus in his "Heritage Universe" series, comprising books 3 and 4, Transcendence and Convergence. I bought this back in October 2002, so it's possible I've already read it.

I did read the first omnibus some years ago. I don't think the novels are tightly linked, so I'll just plunge straight in.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #17003
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm currently reading "Dragonne's Eg" by Mary Brown. This is one I bought in Jan 2000, and is part of my ongoing quest to catch up on all my old Baen Webscription purchases.

"Dragonne's Eg" is a fantasy set in Victorian times. A genteel but impoverished English schoolteacher is surprised to find that her uncle, a famous archaeologist, has left his house to her in his will, on the condition that she undertakes a quest to return a strange artifact, rumoured to be a dragon's egg, to its place of origin.

About a quarter of the way through so far, and thoroughly enjoying it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #17004
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
One of my favourite discworld novels. I hope you like it too.
I'm sure I will. It will be the eighteenth Discworld title I will have read.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #17005
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Carolyn Keene (Mildred Wirt Benson) & Kerry Greenwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I really enjoyed reading The Secret of the Wooden Lady!

Chasing Suspect Three the 4th and last of the Sandy Reid Mysteries was just great and I sure hope that Rod Hoisington continues this series.

I've just started reading the next book of the Nancy Drew Mysteries The Clue of the Black Keys (Nancy Drew #28) by Carolyn Keene (Mildred Wirt Benson) and, as usual, am looking forward to it.

Recently there have been several posts in this thread concerning Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher #1) by Kerry Greenwood and these posts got me interested in possibly exploring the series. This is the first one and was available as a freebie on Amazon at the time of the afore-mentioned posts, so I grabbed a copy. Then I found a DVD (NetFlix) of an Australian TV series based on these books. So instead of reading the first book I got the first DVD of the TV series. It was quite enjoyable and now I'm going to start the series and try the first one.
The Clue of the Black Keys was a fun read.

I really liked Cocaine Blues and decided by the end I was going to continue with the series. Calibre's 'get books' feature found a good deal on a bundle of the first 6 books in the series (it was a good deal even though I already had book one [free from Amazon]) at Diesel Books for $17.16.

So now on to Mystery at the Ski Jump (Nancy Drew #29) by Carolyn Keene and Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher #2) by Kerry Greenwood

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #17006
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just started Legend, the first book in the Legend trilogy by Marie Lu.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #17007
Riverrun
Riverrun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Clue of the Black Keys was a fun read.

I really liked Cocaine Blues and decided by the end I was going to continue with the series. Calibre's 'get books' feature found a good deal on a bundle of the first 6 books in the series (it was a good deal even though I already had book one [free from Amazon]) at Diesel Books for $17.16.

So now on to Mystery at the Ski Jump (Nancy Drew #29) by Carolyn Keene and Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher #2) by Kerry Greenwood

New here
Love Kerry Greenwood. I se to have read all of them so started to reread. I have just finished Jane Gardam's Old Filth trilogy (not mystery thrillers): Old Filth, The Man in the Wooden Hat, Last Friends - great stuff - and now for a change of pace Robert Crais's hardboiled thriller The Monkey's Raincoat.
Riverrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #17008
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm currently reading "Dragonne's Eg" by Mary Brown. This is one I bought in Jan 2000, and is part of my ongoing quest to catch up on all my old Baen Webscription purchases.

"Dragonne's Eg" is a fantasy set in Victorian times. A genteel but impoverished English schoolteacher is surprised to find that her uncle, a famous archaeologist, has left his house to her in his will, on the condition that she undertakes a quest to return a strange artifact, rumoured to be a dragon's egg, to its place of origin.

About a quarter of the way through so far, and thoroughly enjoying it.
Now finished. That was a lovely story. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd describe it as a modern fairy-tale.

Back to Wodehouse next with "The Gold Bat".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #17009
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I finished Stanley Weintraub's Final Victory about FDR's last election campaign. I would have liked more coverage of how Dewey got the Republican nomination. As usual, Weintraub's narrative style was very readable, but I didn't feel that it was on the par of Long day's Journey Into War.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #17010
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am reading American Gun: A History of the U.S. in Ten Firearms by Chris Kyle. It is an enjoyable read for me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote