Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
RossK
RossK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v4
OS issue?

I'm not sure there is a proper category for my question.

Has there been a change that would make Calibre work on Windows 7 Pro but not on XP Pro?

RK
RossK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossK View Post
I'm not sure there is a proper category for my question.

Has there been a change that would make Calibre work on Windows 7 Pro but not on XP Pro?

RK
Nope:
I have 2 XP Pro (SP3) systems running with no Calibre issues. Check your A/V and Firewall settings.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
RossK

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Nope:
I have 2 XP Pro (SP3) systems running with no Calibre issues. Check your A/V and Firewall settings.
Yeah, thanks. I could turn them off (one at a time) and see what happens.

RK
Old 07-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The only thing I can think of, is that you might not have run windows update and are missing some old VC runtime libs:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=29
http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downl...s.aspx?id=5582
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
RossK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
The only thing I can think of, is that you might not have run windows update and are missing some old VC runtime libs:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=29
http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downl...s.aspx?id=5582
Might that have been something not on the "important" list? I've had auto-update on for ages.

RK
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossK View Post
Might that have been something not on the "important" list? I've had auto-update on for ages.

RK
Auto-Update leaves out a Ton of stuff.
I never let update do anything except Notify me.

Then I do the custom update (includes many of the optional updates). Just too many wrong HW drivers.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Auto-Update leaves out a Ton of stuff.
I never let update do anything except Notify me.
But Windows auto-update is the way to go for the vast majority of the folks. All updates labeled "important or critical" are auto-updated and block security holes on a regular basis.

Quote:
Then I do the custom update (includes many of the optional updates). Just too many wrong HW drivers.
Unless deemed critical the Auto-update does not update HW drivers.

@theducks - Do you know of a way for me to mark optional updates so I never see them again? An example of what I would like to hide are all of the optional language packs.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post

@theducks - Do you know of a way for me to mark optional updates so I never see them again? An example of what I would like to hide are all of the optional language packs.
Yes. Remember it is Microsoft (Click Start to shutdown )
Using the Custom Update path
Select the Update, click Review
(remember it is M$)
Now click the Plus in the description and Tick the Box: 'Don't show..." (near the Bottom of the description)

Apply

Sorry, no screen shot capture available at this time (I am up to date)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yes. Remember it is Microsoft (Click Start to shutdown )
Using the Custom Update path
Select the Update, click Review
(remember it is M$)
Now click the Plus in the description and Tick the Box: 'Don't show..." (near the Bottom of the description)
FYI, this way is no longer an option in Windows 7. However a simple right click on the update will give you the simple option to hide the update(s).

Thanks for the reply.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
FYI, this way is no longer an option in Windows 7. However a simple right click on the update will give you the simple option to hide the update(s).

Thanks for the reply.
I have less odd stuff installed on my W7 (Laptop), so I never had to try to exclude there.
Now I know. Thanks for the Heads up.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
VC runtimes are usually part of the important items.

Pretty much : Most stuff compiled by MSVC will want to use the runtimes that are relevant for that release. That means that about 70% of your tools, games and other applications require them. Usually they are silently installed when you install something, however since they are shared and may already exist there's no real notification.

Now, sometimes when people have fiddled with uninstaller scripts, the uninstaller will think it needs to remove the VC runtime which was installed silently by it, or even by something else. This also happens in 'update' installs, where they might no longer be using the 2008 runtimes, but 2010 now... so it removes 2008 from the system. Woops. (Calibre didn't do this, don't worry.)

Now that its removed, other applications that shared it will have problems.
However some bad applications uninstall them accidentally; leaving things that once worked confused as to what happened, since they are bundled with many installers, but shared with many things.

Similar things happen with minor DirectX releases.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote