Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Old Paperbacks

At times I will pick up old books at garage sales, etc. Right now I'm reading, Nathaniel, by John Saul, which shows a date of July 1984. I'm enjoying it.
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A friend gave me a stack of old paperbacks a few weeks ago. One of those was from 1985-ish: Lines and Shadows by Joseph Wambaugh.

For a Random Read, I really enjoyed it.

-David

PS Just noticed your Broken Arrow location. How coincidental. I'm in Tulsa.
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I like to play in my local used book store (The Bookworm) it's pretty much like three double wide trailers put together, stacked floor to ceiling with just about any book you can think of. The oldest book I've found was from 1945.

It's a fun place because it's a library that isn't a library. You can trade in your old paperbacks for store credit in either "general" or "spec fic" and use them accordingly. Most books are around $2.25, and it seems to be a dollar-to-dollar trade. So, I traded in around 30 books, and I've got credit for another 30. I don't know if I can bring them back to her though because they stamp 'em all with the store logo.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
I have some nice science fiction paperbacks from around 1950. Trouble is, they are becoming too crumbly to read.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
At my used bookstore I found Childhood's end by Arthur Clake and The Black Cloud by Fred Hoyle, both from the 50's, in readable (no more than that) condition. I really enjoyed both and keep them like a treasure.....
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I also enjoy my local used bookstore. The one here is called "Fireside Books." They have a bit of everything, fiction and non-fiction including some old paperbacks from the 50's. They're the only ones that cost more now than they did when they came out. They usually have a price of around 50 cents or so printed on the cover and go for several dollars due to the fact that they are so old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I like to play in my local used book store (The Bookworm) it's pretty much like three double wide trailers put together, stacked floor to ceiling with just about any book you can think of. The oldest book I've found was from 1945.

It's a fun place because it's a library that isn't a library. You can trade in your old paperbacks for store credit in either "general" or "spec fic" and use them accordingly. Most books are around $2.25, and it seems to be a dollar-to-dollar trade. So, I traded in around 30 books, and I've got credit for another 30. I don't know if I can bring them back to her though because they stamp 'em all with the store logo.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
If you live near Frederick, Maryland, the ultimate used book store is Wonder Books
http://www.wonderbk.com/productcart/...t.asp?idpage=2
The shelves are eight levels tall
http://www.wonderbk.com/productcart/...alog/f-v-1.jpg
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
I have some nice science fiction paperbacks from around 1950. Trouble is, they are becoming too crumbly to read.
I hate when that happens.

I'm allergic to molds, which keeps me away from a lot of old paperbacks. I tossed over 800 that aren't available in e-books. I had my assistant scan a few that I really really wanted as ebooks (for personal use, of course).
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bob avey, john saul, mystery, old books, suspence